Merge 2 accounts

Mike Stroud
Hi,

I have got a new isp, but my email address is the same. I have set up the new account (IMAP) and still have the old one (MS-Exchange).

How can I copy the folders and email from the old account to the new one?

I've tried clicking on the inbox and selecting copy folder to... my new inbox. It's been running for over 8 hours and there aren't that many emails.

I'm running Evolution 3.18.5.2 on Peppermint 7 64 bit.

Thanks!

Re: Merge 2 accounts

Milan Crha
On Wed, 2017-05-24 at 16:50 +0200, Mike Stroud wrote:
> I've tried clicking on the inbox and selecting copy folder to... my
> new inbox. It's been running for over 8 hours and there aren't that
> many emails.

        Hi,
it's basically it. Or you can select all messages in the folder and
drag&drop them to another folder (with a key modifier pressed to rather
copy than move).

I recall there had been an issue that the message adding this way into
an IMAP (or maybe even other account types) folder caused that each
successfully copied message resulted in a folder refresh, which got
slower and slower with more and more messages being copied into the
folder. It is supposed to be fixed, but I do not recall whether yours
3.18.5 has it or not. It can even be, if you have checked "Listen for
server change notifications", then this listening causing refresh of
the folder as well; I'm rather guessing here, though.

Re: Merge 2 accounts

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Wed, 2017-05-24 at 17:36 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-05-24 at 16:50 +0200, Mike Stroud wrote:
> > I've tried clicking on the inbox and selecting copy folder to... my
> > new inbox. It's been running for over 8 hours and there aren't that
> > many emails.
>
> Hi,
> it's basically it. Or you can select all messages in the folder and
> drag&drop them to another folder (with a key modifier pressed to rather
> copy than move).
>
> I recall there had been an issue that the message adding this way into
> an IMAP (or maybe even other account types) folder caused that each
> successfully copied message resulted in a folder refresh, which got
> slower and slower with more and more messages being copied into the
> folder. It is supposed to be fixed, but I do not recall whether yours
> 3.18.5 has it or not. It can even be, if you have checked "Listen for
> server change notifications", then this listening causing refresh of
> the folder as well; I'm rather guessing here, though.

For large amounts of mail it can be more efficient to use imapsync.
That would involve setting up IMAP access to the old (Exchange)
account, then moving the mail. Evolution should be shut down before
doing the move of course. Imapsync is a Perl script that can move mail
in batches and continue where it left off if interrupted for any
reason. See https://pagure.io/imapsync or use your package manager to
install.