Message filters not playing sounds

Gaya
Hello,

Upon receiving message from certain senders I'm trying to have a sound played. This however seems not to work.

When defining a filter for the account as sender contains X, then play sound <selected some playable sound>
It basically stays quiet.

Beep also does not result in sound. If using the mail notification plug-in, generally sound is played fine.
I cannot run a program from the filter as action either or pipe into one. But the later could be more complicated so I'm maybe doing it wrong. But the sound should be fairly simple. Is there something I'm missing?
That issue was like that for me with Ubuntu 18.04, 20.04, mint 19 and currently mint 20, evolution version 3.36.3-0ubuntu1.

Gaya

Re: Message filters not playing sounds

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Sat, 2020-08-01 at 22:26 +0200, Gaya wrote:
> Beep also does not result in sound. If using the mail notification
> plug-in, generally sound is played fine.

        Hi,
Evolution uses libcanberra to play sound files. Looking into the code,
trying it here and by adding some error reporting I see the difference
between the filter and the mail notification. The mail notification
uses its own context, while the filter sound uses the gtk context. The
gtk context can have disabled sound in the system Preferences, which
happened to me here. When I enable theme sounds the sound is played
correctly. Similarly with the Beep, it relies on the system sound theme
being enabled.

I'll change the filter sound to not use the gtk context and I'll add
also some debug prints to make debugging easier.

Re: Message filters not playing sounds

Gaya

sorry for the long quiet.
I had checked and did have the sound theme turned off. Also the sound of evolution was turned off (repo included mail notification plugin).
The sound of the mail notification plugin does play with every mail, but the mail filter intended sound does not play.
The current version of evolution is 3.36.4-0ubuntu1 on Linux Mint 20.

Logs for that matter:
Reported 1 recent messages in [hidden email] : Incoming'
2020-11-11 20:48:14 - Applied filter "important mails" to message from user test <[hidden email]> - "testsubject"
   Message source '04626bb5f2b61319e291551472b0aa3268e5f5de' does match requested source '04626bb5f2b61319e291551472b0aa3268e5f5de'
   Header 'From' value ' user test <[hidden email]>' does match [hidden email]'
   Finished test of message uid:AAMkAGU1ZTeiZWZiLTU2N2YtNDgyMi04MTRjLWM5NGY5NmE5NDdiNgBGAAAAAAA8yS1sIIbdSLGXuyOi0qBqBwD62kfhvwC/S7J7ukSNK0BVAAAACE+BAABNep1ucgLnSIEaPJAntZ8fAAGbvshDAAA= subject:'testsubject' from [hidden email] : Incoming' as MATCHED
   Filter 'important mails' matched

Action: Set label to orange_color
Action: Play sound

Rule description:
important mails (enabled, for account [hidden email])
   If any of the following conditions are met
      Sender contains [hidden email]
   Then
      Set Label orange_color
      Play Sound /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav

Best regards,

Gaya