Messages marked Unread self-mark as Read

Messages marked Unread self-mark as Read

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Hi Folks,
If I mark a read message as Unread, and them move away from it to
select a different message, it remains Unread. But hitting F12 or the Send/Receive button reverts the message back to Read. If I mark it as Unread a
second time, then it persists in this state after Send/Receive. So something is causing it
to get unmarked the first time. I assume this would be considered a
bug.
Thanks!
Luben

Re: Messages marked Unread self-mark as Read

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Tue, 2020-02-25 at 11:24 -0500, Luben Dimov via evolution-list
wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> If I mark a read message as Unread, and them move away from it to
> select a different message, it remains Unread. But hitting F12 or the
> Send/Receive button reverts the message back to Read. If I mark it as
> Unread a
> second time, then it persists in this state after Send/Receive. So
> something is causing it
> to get unmarked the first time. I assume this would be considered a
> bug.

You don't say what version of Evolution this is.

Re: Messages marked Unread self-mark as Read

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Sorry, it is 3.30.5-1.1 running on the latest Debian stable (buster).

On Tue, 2020-02-25 at 11:24 -0500, Luben Dimov wrote:
> If I mark a read message as Unread, and them move away from it to
> select a different message, it remains Unread. But hitting F12 or the
> Send/Receive button reverts the message back to Read. If I mark it as
> Unread a
> second time, then it persists in this state after Send/Receive. So
> something is causing it
> to get unmarked the first time.

Which account type is this? Local / POP? Remote / IMAP?
If remote, is another mail client accessing the same account?

Re: Messages marked Unread self-mark as Read

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list

It is an EWS type

On Tue, 2020-02-25 at 11:24 -0500, Luben Dimov wrote:
> If I mark a read message as Unread, and them move away from it to
> select a different message, it remains Unread. But hitting F12 or the
> Send/Receive button reverts the message back to Read. If I mark it as
> Unread a
> second time, then it persists in this state after Send/Receive. So
> something is causing it
> to get unmarked the first time.

Which account type is this? Local / POP? Remote / IMAP?
If remote, is another mail client accessing the same account?

Re: Messages marked Unread self-mark as Read

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
And I meant to add that I am not accessing it with any other mail client. But even if I were, not sure why it would change it to read after F12 the first time, but not subsequent times.

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 2:30 PM Luben Dimov <[hidden email]> wrote:

It is an EWS type

On Tue, 2020-02-25 at 11:24 -0500, Luben Dimov wrote:
> If I mark a read message as Unread, and them move away from it to
> select a different message, it remains Unread. But hitting F12 or the
> Send/Receive button reverts the message back to Read. If I mark it as
> Unread a
> second time, then it persists in this state after Send/Receive. So
> something is causing it
> to get unmarked the first time.

Which account type is this? Local / POP? Remote / IMAP?
If remote, is another mail client accessing the same account?

Re: Messages marked Unread self-mark as Read

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Tue, 2020-02-25 at 14:32 -0500, Luben Dimov via evolution-list
wrote:
> And I meant to add that I am not accessing it with any other mail
> client. But even if I were, not sure why it would change it to read
> after F12 the first time, but not subsequent times.
>
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 2:30 PM Luben Dimov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > It is an EWS type

        Hi,
I vaguely recall something similar with IMAP, but nothing with EWS. The
EWS works differently than IMAP. When you mark message as read the
account saves the change within a minute or so on its own. You can even
select a different folder, which will save the changes immediately.
When you return back to the folder it is updated with the content on
the server. I do not see a reason why the save would fail. You might
run Evolution from a terminal and check its output, in case there would
be printed anything related. You can also enable EWS debugging with:

   $ EWS_DEBUG=2 evolution

to see what Evolution sends to the server and what the server returns.
The log shows raw communication, which is not share-able in public
without sanitizing, because it contains a lot of private information.
You can limit the interesting parts of the log when you "mark" a place
just before you mark message as read and move to a different folder;
then only the new content since that mark until you return back to the
folder and see the previously marked message as read to be unread is
interesting.

One problem with EWS log is also that some parts can be encoded, thus
it's not obvious that the encoded part contains private information,
aka the private information is not always shown in the plain text. I
mean, if you'll be sharing the log, then be careful. If unsure, then
send the log only to me for a quick observation, just reference this
thread, thus I won't overlook your mail in my spam folder.

Re: Messages marked Unread self-mark as Read

Andre Klapper
On Wed, 2020-02-26 at 09:20 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> I vaguely recall something similar with IMAP, but nothing with EWS.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/580 was about GMail
IMAP, but about deleting and not about marking as read.

Re: Messages marked Unread self-mark as Read

From: Milan Crha <[hidden email]>
To: Luben Dimov <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Messages marked Unread self-mark as Read
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 09:51:25 +0100

On Mon, 2021-01-11 at 22:18 -0500, Luben Dimov wrote:

you replied only to me, not to the list (Ctrl+L in Evolution), I guess
accidentally. Private mails do not help others. You are kind of lucky I
did not overlook your mail in my spam folder. Keep the conversation
public, please.

Dear Milan,
I am sending my message to the entire list now, but the reason why I sent my message just to you is because you had originally suggested I do that. That's because the output from

EWS_DEBUG=2 evolution

(which I had attached to the message sent just to you) contains lots of private info. And I don't really know which parts are private to remove them all before sharing with the list.

I am happy to post the output from EWS_DEBUG=2 evolution to the list, I just hope that you can first only extract the relevant parts of it (there is ~90 pages of it).

Thanks!
Luben

[...]

-----End Of Original Message-----

Dear Milan,

I did not do your recommendation (to run $ EWS_DEBUG=2 evolution and report the output) for a long time in the hope that the issue would resolve with updates, so I wouldn't have to be sending you this. It's been almost a year and the problem/bug persists, so I am finally following your advice. The output is attached.

I am responding to your personal email, as you recommended, because there is lots of information in that log that is probably private, but I don't know which one.

As a reminder, the problem/bug in my Gnome Evolution, now ver. 3.30.5-1.1 on Debian 10, for the last year was that in my 3 EWS accounts, when I read a message, close it, mark it as Unread, go to a diggerent folder, and when I return, the message gets marked Read (and no, it is not being open or previewed at that point). If I mark it as unread a second time, going to another folder and then returning no longer causes it to be marked Read anymore. All of this doesn't happen in the POP account.

It is 90 (even after I deleted a ton of what I thought was gibberish), so look for the following text identifying when I did what, including the ##:

1. Everything starts from the moment I run EWS_DEBUG=2
2. Then look for:
#now will open an email to mark it as read##
3. Lastly, look for:
## now going to another folder and back to the Inbox, upon the return in which the message got marked as Read##

Thank you in advance for your help with this!!!
Luben

Re: Messages marked Unread self-mark as Read

On Tue, 2021-01-12 at 09:30 -0500, Luben Dimov via evolution-list
wrote:
> I am sending my message to the entire list now, but the reason why I
> sent my message just to you is because you had originally suggested I
> do that.

Oh, I see, a year old request gets lost on my side as soon a the first
week passes. I touch too many different things to remember all of them
precisely, the worse when it's in a longer time.

I'd notice the mail was not sent in error myself, but I didn't pay
enough attention to your mail, the "non-quoting" style you use confused
the things for me more than it should. I'm sorry about that.

You are right to not send the log to the list.

As you said, this is a year old thread, you still use 3.30.5, which had
been released almost two years ago, on 2019-02-04. Too many things
happened in the code meanwhile. The evolution-ews sources received ~78
commits (excluding the translations and other commits, truly just the
code changes), which might not feel like a lot, but it is a lot, from
my point of view. Changes on the evolution-data-server side also count.
It can be that your issues are fixed in the current stable, which is
3.38.3, released just this week. The Flathub.org has a version of
Evolution with it included as a Flatpak. It can be used for testing as
in your case, when the distribution is behind the current stable
version. You can try whether the things has got fixed meanwhile with
it.

Anyway, from your log, I see a messages:UpdateItem call with
<IsRead>true</IsRead> set and it's confirmed as Success by the server.
After that (and after the `## now going to another folder...` line)
there's another messages:UpdateItem request, this time without the
<IsRead>, which should be fine, because the UpdateItem is meant to
update only properties, which had been touched. The next
messages:GetItem requests succeeds and it has returned
<t:IsRead>true</t:IsRead> (the very end of the log snippet). There is a
mark you deleted a lot of lines, maybe some of them contained the other
update/read, but it's also likely the UI part misbehaved somehow. I
cannot tell for sure. If you still have the whole log, the requests and

AAMkAGQ1M2U1MDc2LWQ4Y2EtNDJlMi1iZWM5LWE0MTYxZThkYWE2YgBGAAAAAACqHunArULMRb8dDAW8uzybBwArRZYo0hTxT6JHauKCDr84AAAAAAEMAAArRZYo0hTxT6JHauKCDr84AAKA9v9JAAA=

are the interesting parts from the log.

On Tue, 2021-01-12 at 17:46 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
As you said, this is a year old thread, you still use 3.30.5, which had
been released almost two years ago, on 2019-02-04. Too many things
happened in the code meanwhile.

Milan,

I actually didn't realize that Evolution has not updated for a year. I guess there is a reason they call it Debian "stable".
I installed Debian Testing as a virtual machine, as it comes with the 3.38 version of Evolution. Sure enough, this problem is not there. So I will just wait another 6 or so months until Debian 11 becomes the new "stable" release and Evolution updates (since I don't want to use Flatpack).

Thank you very much for your help!
Luben

Re: Messages marked Unread self-mark as Read

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Tue, 2021-01-12 at 19:00 -0500, Luben Dimov via evolution-list
wrote:
> it comes with the 3.38 version of Evolution. Sure enough, this
> problem is not there.

        Hi,
nice, I'm happy it's fixed in the more recent version.