Moving from Claws Mail to Evolution...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Moving from Claws Mail to Evolution...

Bjørn T Johansen
Hi.

I am going to give Evolution a real go as my main MUA (and not just as an Exchange client) and I have some questions:

- What does "Use Quick Resync if the server supports it" do? Does anyone know if Dovecot supports this?
- "Listen for server change notifications", thats the same as IMAP IDLE? If so, does it support all folders or just the Inbox?
- If previous is IMAP IDLE, does Evolution still need/use the poll intervall setting?


Anything else I should know/good to know? :-)


Regards,

BTJ

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bjørn T Johansen

[hidden email]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Someone wrote:
"I understand that if you play a Windows CD backwards you hear strange Satanic messages"
To which someone replied:
"It's even worse than that; play it forwards and it installs Windows"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving from Claws Mail to Evolution...

Bjørn T Johansen
On Tue, 2017-02-14 at 14:48 +0100, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I am going to give Evolution a real go as my main MUA (and not just as an Exchange client) and I have some questions:
>
> - What does "Use Quick Resync if the server supports it" do? Does anyone know if Dovecot supports this?
> - "Listen for server change notifications", thats the same as IMAP IDLE? If so, does it support all folders or just the Inbox?
> - If previous is IMAP IDLE, does Evolution still need/use the poll intervall setting?
>
>
> Anything else I should know/good to know? :-)
>
>
> Regards,
>
> BTJ
>
>

Forgot one thing, I guess I can tar my evolution folder under .config and copy this to a different computer to get the same configuration on my other computers?


BTJ
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving from Claws Mail to Evolution...

Milan Crha
On Tue, 2017-02-14 at 14:54 +0100, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-02-14 at 14:48 +0100, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> > - What does "Use Quick Resync if the server supports it" do?

        Hi,
that's some RFC "standard". Allows quickly resynchronize folder
changes, instead of asking for flags of all messages. The IMAPx can
sometimes get out of sync, thus it's currently off by default.

> > Does anyone know if Dovecot supports this?

If its CAPABILITIES response contains something like QRESYNC, then yes.

> > - "Listen for server change notifications", thats the same as IMAP
> > IDLE?

Similar. It covers NOTIFY extension as well (when NOTIFY is part of
CAPABILITIES response). The 3.22.5 eds has a fix for NOTIFY [1].

> > If so, does it support all folders or just the Inbox?

IDLE is for one folder only, NOTIFY is for any. Inbox for IDLE is
usually preferred.

> > - If previous is IMAP IDLE, does Evolution still need/use the poll
> > intervall setting?

Yes, it can use it, but it doesn't need it (unless the server
disconnects for inactivity before the 30 minute interval, which is
suggested by the IMAP 4rev1 RFC).

> Forgot one thing, I guess I can tar my evolution folder under .config
> and copy this to a different computer to get the same configuration
> on my other computers?

Mostly. I'd use also ~/.local/share/evolution/. See
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/data-storage.html.en
Though File->Backup/Restore settings is designed for one time config
synchronization.
        Bye,
        Milan

[1] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=778069
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving from Claws Mail to Evolution...

Bjørn T Johansen
On Tue, 2017-02-14 at 15:11 +0100, Milan Crha wrote:

> > Forgot one thing, I guess I can tar my evolution folder under .config
> > and copy this to a different computer to get the same configuration
> > on my other computers?
>
> Mostly. I'd use also ~/.local/share/evolution/. See
> https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/data-storage.html.en
> Though File->Backup/Restore settings is designed for one time config
> synchronization.
> Bye,
> Milan
>
>

Thx... :-)
Yes, I though about the Backup/Restore settings but I guess that only restores the config and not the cached emails, making Evolution resync all my
folders again?


BTJ
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving from Claws Mail to Evolution...

Bjørn T Johansen
On Tue, 2017-02-14 at 15:20 +0100, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:

> On Tue, 2017-02-14 at 15:11 +0100, Milan Crha wrote:
> > > Forgot one thing, I guess I can tar my evolution folder under .config
> > > and copy this to a different computer to get the same configuration
> > > on my other computers?
> >
> > Mostly. I'd use also ~/.local/share/evolution/. See
> > https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/data-storage.html.en
> > Though File->Backup/Restore settings is designed for one time config
> > synchronization.
> > Bye,
> > Milan
> >
> >
>
> Thx... :-)
> Yes, I though about the Backup/Restore settings but I guess that only restores the config and not the cached emails, making Evolution resync all my
> folders again?
>
>

But I see that the email cache is under .cache/evolution, so I guess I need that one as well.. Is this a good idea or should I just use the
Backup/Restore feature?

Also, is there a keyboard shortcut to move from the folder list to the message list?

BTJ
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving from Claws Mail to Evolution...

Milan Crha
On Tue, 2017-02-14 at 15:26 +0100, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> But I see that the email cache is under .cache/evolution, so I guess
> I need that one as well..

        Hi,
yes, cache is under cache.

> Is this a good idea or should I just use the Backup/Restore feature?

As I wrote earlier, it's for one-time synchronization. Tools like rsync
and many other are for daily sync of two or more machines.

> Also, is there a keyboard shortcut to move from the folder list to
> the message list?

Tab or (Shift+)F6 are used to move between widgets. Or use Ctrl+G to
change folder, though it selects the message preview, which means a
Shift+F6 is required after that.
        Bye,
        Milan
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving from Claws Mail to Evolution...

Andre Klapper
In reply to this post by Bjørn T Johansen
On Tue, 2017-02-14 at 15:26 +0100, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> Also, is there a keyboard shortcut to move from the folder list to
> the message list?

F6 under GNOME to switch between panels.

andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving from Claws Mail to Evolution...

Bjørn T Johansen
In reply to this post by Milan Crha
On Tue, 2017-02-14 at 16:29 +0100, Milan Crha wrote:

>
> > Also, is there a keyboard shortcut to move from the folder list to
> > the message list?
>
> Tab or (Shift+)F6 are used to move between widgets. Or use Ctrl+G to
> change folder, though it selects the message preview, which means a
> Shift+F6 is required after that.
> Bye,
> Milan
>

Neither Tab nor (Shift+)F6 works for me. Is this dependent on which desktop env/window manager one use? I am using Openbox, do I need to add certain
keyboard action or?


BTJ
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving from Claws Mail to Evolution...

Ralf Mardorf-3
On Wed, 2017-02-15 at 09:20 +0100, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> Neither Tab nor (Shift+)F6 works for me.

You can't see anything changing when using the (Shift+)F6 shortcut. I'm
on Arch Linux

$ pacman -Q openbox evolution
openbox 3.6.1-3
evolution 3.22.5-1

and if I use (Shift+)F6 nothing indicates the switch from one to another
widget, but if I use the cursor keys after a shortcuts, they work in
another widget.

Regards,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving from Claws Mail to Evolution...

Bjørn T Johansen
On Wed, 2017-02-15 at 09:38 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-02-15 at 09:20 +0100, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> > Neither Tab nor (Shift+)F6 works for me.
>
> You can't see anything changing when using the (Shift+)F6 shortcut. I'm
> on Arch Linux
>
> $ pacman -Q openbox evolution
> openbox 3.6.1-3
> evolution 3.22.5-1
>
> and if I use (Shift+)F6 nothing indicates the switch from one to another
> widget, but if I use the cursor keys after a shortcuts, they work in
> another widget.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf
>

Hmmm, I think I was a bit too fast, Shift-F6 and F6 seems to work. Not sure how I missed that when I tried before... :-|

BTJ
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list