Multipart issue

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Multipart issue

Patrick O'Callaghan
There's an ongoing discussion on the Fedora Users list about a post
which included both HTML and plaintext in a multipart message, but
where the plaintext section is just a blank line instead of a version
of the HTML text. The poster used Evolution 3.36. How can this be
possible? Is it user error or a bug?

The thread can be found at:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/NJDHSA7RTNTZTMG46TLUO7UVHHPI7JVC/

Unfortunately that is a web-mangled archive so you can't see the
original of the email which caused the discussion, but I've attached it
here for reference. In any case, several commentators have quoted the
relevant parts in the thread itself.

poc

On Wed, 2020-05-27 at 10:07 -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 5/27/20 9:06 AM, Robert G (Doc) Savage via users wrote:
After closing the lid on my P72 laptop last week and moving it to the 
livig room, I could not resume F32 when I raised the lid. I had to hard 
power cycle it, and after bootup I was unable to connect to my WiFi 
router. The router is fine, and WiFi works fine in the dual-booted 
Windows 10. But I can't figure out how to kick start my WiFi connection. 
I have restarted the P72 multiple times, with no success. The copper 
Ethernet connection works fine.

Any suggestions how to kickstart it? When I try ifup I get this:

# ifup ATTxxxxxxxx

Error: Connection activation failed: No suitable device found for this 
connection (device lo not available because device is strictly unmanaged).

What is the output of "nmcli c" and "rfkill list"?

Sam,

# nmcli c
NAME                UUID                                  TYPE      DEVICE 
eth0                3a1a7b73-df5e-37b9-a9af-dbc49d4120b3  ethernet  eth0   
virbr0              d24a0759-35b3-4d82-aa5c-3c88d87165da  bridge    virbr0 
ATT9qua6QD          29a52e1f-717d-4e1a-887c-6a0d799a24b6  wifi      --     
Balance             1fc4760b-4dc3-4048-b826-f5d4a37af145  wifi      --     
Computer Room       45922de4-f46c-48fa-b893-16844220d7ca  wifi      --     
LaQuinta-Effingham  b4e3fd19-01cc-429e-bbb0-d4ec4dbce3bc  wifi      --     
SMMS_GUEST          1a716391-f3f9-438b-8840-49e85d02975b  wifi      --

rfkill is new to me:

# rfkill list
0: tpacpi_bluetooth_sw: Bluetooth
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
1: hci0: Bluetooth
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
2: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: yes
	Hard blocked: yes

--Doc Savage
    Fairview Heights, IL

_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@...

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multipart issue

Pete Biggs
On Thu, 2020-05-28 at 12:24 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> There's an ongoing discussion on the Fedora Users list about a post
> which included both HTML and plaintext in a multipart message, but
> where the plaintext section is just a blank line instead of a version
> of the HTML text. The poster used Evolution 3.36. How can this be
> possible? Is it user error or a bug?

I suspect that something mangled it in the mailing list process!

I don't
know how the plain text version is created from the HTML - perhaps
there was something in the HTML that confused it?

P.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multipart issue

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Thu, 2020-05-28 at 13:01 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2020-05-28 at 12:24 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > There's an ongoing discussion on the Fedora Users list about a post
> > which included both HTML and plaintext in a multipart message, but
> > where the plaintext section is just a blank line instead of a version
> > of the HTML text. The poster used Evolution 3.36. How can this be
> > possible? Is it user error or a bug?
>
> I suspect that something mangled it in the mailing list process!

Someone suggested that.

> I don't
> know how the plain text version is created from the HTML - perhaps
> there was something in the HTML that confused it?

Surely the plaintext is created by Evolution itself?

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multipart issue

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Pete Biggs
On Thu, 2020-05-28 at 13:01 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> I suspect that something mangled it in the mailing list process!

        Hi,
I guess it's unlikely, but who knows.

> I don't know how the plain text version is created from the HTML -
> perhaps there was something in the HTML that confused it?

Right, this is more likely. Having evolution run from a terminal, there
could be seen some runtime warnings related to WebKit, coming either
from Evolution itself or from a WebKitWebProcess (maybe it's still in
the system journal). That would just show there happened something, but
not necessarily what or why.

The composer (the UI part) asks the editor (on the WebKitWebProcess
side) for the content, once in HTML once in plain text (can be in
opposite order). Failing to get it should result in a stop of the send
operation, if I recall correctly. But it seems it was able to read the
HTML part and failed only with the plain text part.

Checking the message itself, the text/plain part is not completely
empty, it contains CRLF encoded in base64.

The HTML part doesn't look like anything complicated, just the
opposite, pretty simple code, without special characters (unless I
overlooked any).

        Bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multipart issue

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Thu, 2020-05-28 at 14:27 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-05-28 at 13:01 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > I suspect that something mangled it in the mailing list process!
>
> Hi,
> I guess it's unlikely, but who knows.
>
> > I don't know how the plain text version is created from the HTML -
> > perhaps there was something in the HTML that confused it?
>
> Right, this is more likely. Having evolution run from a terminal, there
> could be seen some runtime warnings related to WebKit, coming either
> from Evolution itself or from a WebKitWebProcess (maybe it's still in
> the system journal). That would just show there happened something, but
> not necessarily what or why.
>
> The composer (the UI part) asks the editor (on the WebKitWebProcess
> side) for the content, once in HTML once in plain text (can be in
> opposite order). Failing to get it should result in a stop of the send
> operation, if I recall correctly. But it seems it was able to read the
> HTML part and failed only with the plain text part.
>
> Checking the message itself, the text/plain part is not completely
> empty, it contains CRLF encoded in base64.
>
> The HTML part doesn't look like anything complicated, just the
> opposite, pretty simple code, without special characters (unless I
> overlooked any).

Thanks Milan, I'll pass that one in case the OP can see anything in his
system journal.

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multipart issue

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Patrick O'Callaghan
On Thu, 2020-05-28 at 13:25 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-05-28 at 13:01 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > On Thu, 2020-05-28 at 12:24 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > There's an ongoing discussion on the Fedora Users list about a
> > > post
> > > which included both HTML and plaintext in a multipart message,
> > > but
> > > where the plaintext section is just a blank line instead of a
> > > version
> > > of the HTML text. The poster used Evolution 3.36. How can this be
> > > possible? Is it user error or a bug?
> >
> > I suspect that something mangled it in the mailing list process!
>
> Someone suggested that.
>
> > I don't
> > know how the plain text version is created from the HTML - perhaps
> > there was something in the HTML that confused it?
>
> Surely the plaintext is created by Evolution itself?
>
> poc
Pat,

Here's a copy/paste of the Evolution compose window of my reply to Sam.
I've attached the as-sent message from my Sent folder. Unfortunately
the cut/past action strips away all HTML formatting carried forward
from the original messages from Sam and I when I click on Reply. I Hope
this helps.

Fedora and Evolution do not make it easy to insert screen captures to
illustrate what's going on in companion terminal windows. I typically
have to use a mixture of plain text and HTML encoding to make the
outbound message show what I'm trying to demonstrate. I can't just use
plain text.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL

---------------------------------------

On Wed, 2020-05-27 at 10:07 -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 5/27/20 9:06 AM, Robert G (Doc) Savage via users wrote:
After closing the lid on my P72 laptop last week and moving it to the
livig room, I could not resume F32 when I raised the lid. I had to
hard
power cycle it, and after bootup I was unable to connect to my WiFi
router. The router is fine, and WiFi works fine in the dual-booted
Windows 10. But I can't figure out how to kick start my WiFi
connection.
I have restarted the P72 multiple times, with no success. The copper
Ethernet connection works fine.

Any suggestions how to kickstart it? When I try ifup I get this:

# ifup ATTxxxxxxxx

Error: Connection activation failed: No suitable device found for this
connection (device lo not available because device is strictly
unmanaged).

What is the output of "nmcli c" and "rfkill list"?

Sam,

# nmcli c
NAME                UUID                                  TYPE      DEV
ICE
eth0                3a1a7b73-df5e-37b9-a9af-
dbc49d4120b3  ethernet  eth0  
virbr0              d24a0759-35b3-4d82-aa5c-
3c88d87165da  bridge    virbr0
ATT9qua6QD          29a52e1f-717d-4e1a-887c-6a0d799a24b6  wifi      
--    
Balance             1fc4760b-4dc3-4048-b826-f5d4a37af145  wifi      
--    
Computer Room       45922de4-f46c-48fa-b893-16844220d7ca  wifi      
--    
LaQuinta-Effingham  b4e3fd19-01cc-429e-bbb0-d4ec4dbce3bc  wifi      
--    
SMMS_GUEST          1a716391-f3f9-438b-8840-49e85d02975b  wifi      --

rfkill is new to me:

# rfkill list
0: tpacpi_bluetooth_sw: Bluetooth
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
1: hci0: Bluetooth
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
2: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: yes
        Hard blocked: yes

--Doc Savage
    Fairview Heights, IL

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

Evolution message (9K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multipart issue

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Thu, 2020-05-28 at 17:31 -0500, Robert G (Doc) Savage via
evolution-list wrote:
> Here's a copy/paste of the Evolution compose window of my reply to
> Sam. I've attached the as-sent message from my Sent folder.

        Hi,
right, it is almost the same to what Patrick posted here, what had been
received at the mailing list. That means the mailing list didn't break
the text/plain part, it received it broken.

> Unfortunately the cut/past action strips away all HTML formatting
> carried forward from the original messages from Sam and I when I
> click on Reply. I Hope this helps.

I'm not sure I follow. If you've set Evolution to not compose in HTML,
then replying to an HTML mail will cause a question to remove
formatting and it'll do it.

> Fedora and Evolution do not make it easy to insert screen captures to
> illustrate what's going on in companion terminal windows. I typically
> have to use a mixture of plain text and HTML encoding to make the
> outbound message show what I'm trying to demonstrate. I can't just
> use plain text.

I do not think it's true. What you want is to use Preformatted
paragraph format, then the lines will not wrap, thus what you paste
from a terminal will look similar to what the terminal shows (terminal
can also wrap lines on the window width boundary). Thus look at the top
toolbar, where is:

[ Plain Text v ][ Normal      v ][justify left][justify center][......

click on the 'Normal' and pick 'Preformatted' from there. It works for
the selected paragraphs.

        Bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multipart issue

Patrick O'Callaghan
In reply to this post by Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Thu, 2020-05-28 at 17:31 -0500, Robert G (Doc) Savage wrote:

> Here's a copy/paste of the Evolution compose window of my reply to Sam.
> I've attached the as-sent message from my Sent folder. Unfortunately
> the cut/past action strips away all HTML formatting carried forward
> from the original messages from Sam and I when I click on Reply. I Hope
> this helps.
>
> Fedora and Evolution do not make it easy to insert screen captures to
> illustrate what's going on in companion terminal windows. I typically
> have to use a mixture of plain text and HTML encoding to make the
> outbound message show what I'm trying to demonstrate. I can't just use
> plain text.

As Milan says, when doing copy-paste into Evolution, the recommended
procedure is to use the Preformatted option in the composer's drop-down
menu. This will stop the composer from imposing its own ideas about
formatting the pasted text.

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multipart issue

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2020-05-29 at 11:22 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-05-28 at 17:31 -0500, Robert G (Doc) Savage wrote:
> > Here's a copy/paste of the Evolution compose window of my reply to
> > Sam.
> > I've attached the as-sent message from my Sent folder.
> > Unfortunately
> > the cut/past action strips away all HTML formatting carried forward
> > from the original messages from Sam and I when I click on Reply. I
> > Hope
> > this helps.
> >
> > Fedora and Evolution do not make it easy to insert screen captures
> > to
> > illustrate what's going on in companion terminal windows. I
> > typically
> > have to use a mixture of plain text and HTML encoding to make the
> > outbound message show what I'm trying to demonstrate. I can't just
> > use
> > plain text.
>
> As Milan says, when doing copy-paste into Evolution, the recommended
> procedure is to use the Preformatted option in the composer's drop-
> down
> menu. This will stop the composer from imposing its own ideas about
> formatting the pasted text.

Patrick,

I believe following that guidance is what started this flap in the
first place.

Unless I have a misconfiguration (very possible), my reading window and
reply composition window don't match. The reading window has HTML
enabled, which uses a typical sans serif font. When I want to reply, I
get a Plain Text / Normal window with a monospace font. I can send the
reply in that format, but when I see my reply in the mail list it's
shown as HTML rather than plain text. I have no control over that.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multipart issue

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Fri, 2020-05-29 at 17:04 -0500, Robert G (Doc) Savage wrote:
> Unless I have a misconfiguration (very possible), my reading window and
>
> reply composition window don't match. The reading window has HTML
>
> enabled, which uses a typical sans serif font. When I want to reply, I
>
> get a Plain Text / Normal window with a monospace font.

Have you enabled "Format messages in HTML" under Composer Preferences?

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multipart issue

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2020-05-29 at 23:26 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Fri, 2020-05-29 at 17:04 -0500, Robert G (Doc) Savage wrote:
> > Unless I have a misconfiguration (very possible), my reading window and
> >
> > reply composition window don't match. The reading window has HTML
> >
> > enabled, which uses a typical sans serif font. When I want to reply, I
> >
> > get a Plain Text / Normal window with a monospace font.
>
> Have you enabled "Format messages in HTML" under Composer Preferences?
>
> poc

Patrick,

I would really prefer composing almost everything in plain monospaced
text, with the ability to insert specific objects (HTML, JPG, text,
etc.) in line.

Reading mail isn't as simple because I have to display what I get. If
the inbound is HTML and I only display plain text, well you know. I
think even this response (composed in Plain Text / Normal) will come
back from the list server in HTML format.

In the earlier incarnation of this thread, I was asked to include
journalctl -b information whose lines typically wrap in plain text to
three or four lines. Ugly. But if I highlight that section, switch to
HTML and Preformatted, I must manually force it to use TT font. All
that extra manipulation in Evolution seems to have confused the mail
readers of several folks.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights IL

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multipart issue

Pete Biggs

> I would really prefer composing almost everything in plain monospaced
> text, with the ability to insert specific objects (HTML, JPG, text,
> etc.) in line.

You can't insert objects in-line into plain text.  There's just no
mechanism for doing so.  If you want to insert objects the whole mail
has to be HTML.

>
> Reading mail isn't as simple because I have to display what I get. If
> the inbound is HTML and I only display plain text, well you know. I
> think even this response (composed in Plain Text / Normal) will come
> back from the list server in HTML format.

No it doesn't.

>
> In the earlier incarnation of this thread, I was asked to include
> journalctl -b information whose lines typically wrap in plain text to
> three or four lines. Ugly. But if I highlight that section, switch to
> HTML and Preformatted,

Why do you need to switch to HTML for preformatted?  In plain text
mode, preformatted just means that there is no formatting done by the
Evolution composer (mainly no line wrapping). eg This text is "normal":

This is a very long line of text. This is a very long line of
text. This is a very long line of text. This is a very long line of
text. This is a very long line of text.

This the same line using "preformatted":

This is a very long line of text. This is a very long line of text. This is a very long line of text. This is a very long line of text. This is a very long line of text.

All done in plain text mode.

P.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multipart issue

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2020-05-29 at 18:50 -0500, Robert G (Doc) Savage via evolution-
list wrote:
> But if I highlight that section, switch to
> HTML and Preformatted, I must manually force it to use TT font.

        Hi,
as Pete said, the Preformatted doesn't need to be in an HTML, it works
perfectly fine in Plain Text format as well.

What might confuse you is that the composer has in menu View->Visually
Wrap Long Lines option, which _visually_ wraps long lines on window
width, to avoid horizontal scrolling. The preview panel does this by
default. It had been added semi-recently, because some clients send
long lines by default. And also because the behavior on the mobile
devices is to wrap the preview. And maybe some other reasons too, I
recall these two right now.

By the way, do you mean that you see Plain Text mails in the message
preview with a Sans font, not with a monospace font? Even this message,
which is a text/plain message? If that's it, then I'd check your font
settings, Edit->Preferences->Mail Preferences->General tab->Message
Display section, eventually play a bit with the Font part there.
        Bye,
        Milan


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list