Negative searches

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Evolution  3.38.4 (flatpak git5dcefb2)

I'm currently being overrun by emails from on particular source, which unfortunately I need to read every single
one.

I know I can set a rule to peel all of then off into a separate folder, but that negates the value of using Imap as the
folder only exists in Evolution.  Additionally,  it loses me some of the context of what came in with any particular email.

So the question is ... can one do a negative search on an inbox?    Something like  !<email address>  or  -<email address>,
these two variants return a completely empty response ( even though the inbox has  about 10,000 emails of which currently
about 2,500 I'd like to exclude.

Thakns

Re: Negative searches

On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 14:30 -0600, Anonymous Japhering wrote:
> can one do a negative search on an inbox?    Something like  !<email
> address>  or  -<email address>,

Yes. See "Help > Contents > Mail Management > Sorting and organizing
mail > Searching Mail > Advanced Search".

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

Re: Negative searches

Ángel González
On 2021-01-20 at 14:30 -0600, Anonymous Japhering wrote:

> Evolution  3.38.4 (flatpak git5dcefb2)
>
> I'm currently being overrun by emails from on particular source,
> which unfortunately I need to read every single
> one..
>
> I know I can set a rule to peel all of then off into a separate
> folder, but that negates the value of using Imap as the
> folder only exists in Evolution.  Additionally,  it loses me some of
> the context of what came in with any particular email.

I suspect moving them to a separate folder _would_ be the right
approach, as that way you create a different flow, which can be
processed separatedly. Or, if emails from that source (priority S) are
mixed in a thread from other people which should be processed with
normal priority, I would recommend using a virtual folder to hide this
user mails.

Anyway, if you want to do that as a folder search

> So the question is ... can one do a negative search on an inbox?
>  Something like  !<email address>  or  -<email address>,
> these two variants return a completely empty response ( even though
> the inbox has  about 10,000 emails of which currently
> about 2,500 I'd like to exclude.

…the answer is, obviously, yes.

The standard way to do this would be to click on the magnifier glass, →
person/domain>

If you want to define the rule directly as text, instead of Advanced
select Free form expression and input "not:(from:<email address>)"

Also note, you can create virtual folders, both for the search of
emails from this soruce and not from this source.

Regards