New user having trouble adding news feed

New user having trouble adding news feed

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Good afternoon!

I've just started using Evolution (3.38.1-1) on Ubuntu 20.10, and when
I try to add my newsfeed nothing happens.

I subscribe to news.eternal-september.org, but for some reason I just
can't add that account to Evolution.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!

Ken
--
If you ever think international affairs make sense, remember this:
Because a Serb shot an Austrian in Bosnia, Germany invaded Belgium.

Re: New user having trouble adding news feed

On Sat, 2020-10-31 at 15:32 -0400, Ken Wright via evolution-list wrote:
> I've just started using Evolution (3.38.1-1) on Ubuntu 20.10, and when
> I try to add my newsfeed nothing happens.

How to add a newsfeed in Evolution? Please provide steps to reproduce.

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

Re: New user having trouble adding news feed

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Sat, 2020-10-31 at 21:50 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list

> On Sat, 2020-10-31 at 15:32 -0400, Ken Wright via evolution-list wrote:
> > I've just started using Evolution (3.38.1-1) on Ubuntu 20.10, and when
> > I try to add my newsfeed nothing happens.
>
> How to add a newsfeed in Evolution? Please provide steps to reproduce.

Newsgroups are supposed to be supported. There's even a Help topic
(search for 'News'). Maybe that's what the OP means. It's not an RSS
feed of course.

Re: New user having trouble adding news feed

On Sat, 2020-10-31 at 21:50 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list

> On Sat, 2020-10-31 at 15:32 -0400, Ken Wright via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > I've just started using Evolution (3.38.1-1) on Ubuntu 20.10, and
> > when I try to add my newsfeed nothing happens.
>
> How to add a newsfeed in Evolution? Please provide steps to
> reproduce.

1)  Under the Edit menu, click "Preferences"
2)  Select "News and Blogs" then click Add.
3)  In the Feed URL box, enter the feed; in this case, news.eternal-
september.org
4)  Under Advanced Options, choose the Authentication tab.  Check the
Use authentication box, enter the Username and Password in the
appropriate boxen.  Click OK.

And nothing happens.

On Sat, 2020-10-31 at 18:21 -0400, Ken Wright wrote:

> On Sat, 2020-10-31 at 21:50 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2020-10-31 at 15:32 -0400, Ken Wright via evolution-list
> > wrote:
> > > I've just started using Evolution (3.38.1-1) on Ubuntu 20.10, and
> > > when I try to add my newsfeed nothing happens.
> >
> > How to add a newsfeed in Evolution? Please provide steps to
> > reproduce.
>
> 1)  Under the Edit menu, click "Preferences"
> 2)  Select "News and Blogs" then click Add.
> 3)  In the Feed URL box, enter the feed; in this case, news.eternal-
> september.org
> 4)  Under Advanced Options, choose the Authentication tab.  Check the
> Use authentication box, enter the Username and Password in the
> appropriate boxen.  Click OK.
>
> And nothing happens.

Thanks! And sorry, my brain yesterday didn't connect the term
"newsfeed" to what I would have probably named "newsgroup".

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

Re: New user having trouble adding news feed

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Sun, 2020-11-01 at 10:43 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list
wrote:

> On Sat, 2020-10-31 at 18:21 -0400, Ken Wright wrote:
> > On Sat, 2020-10-31 at 21:50 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > How to add a newsfeed in Evolution? Please provide steps to
> > > reproduce.
> >
> > 1)  Under the Edit menu, click "Preferences"
> > 2)  Select "News and Blogs" then click Add.
> > 3)  In the Feed URL box, enter the feed; in this case, news.eternal-
> > september.org
> > 4)  Under Advanced Options, choose the Authentication tab.  Check the
> > Use authentication box, enter the Username and Password in the
> > appropriate boxen.  Click OK.
> >
> > And nothing happens.
>
> Thanks! And sorry, my brain yesterday didn't connect the term
> "newsfeed" to what I would have probably named "newsgroup".

Same here. A newsfeed usually means something else, such as RSS.

Re: New user having trouble adding news feed

> Thanks! And sorry, my brain yesterday didn't connect the term
> "newsfeed" to what I would have probably named "newsgroup"._

Pas de probleme, mon ami!

On Sun, 2020-11-01 at 10:31 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Sun, 2020-11-01 at 10:43 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2020-10-31 at 18:21 -0400, Ken Wright wrote:
> > > On Sat, 2020-10-31 at 21:50 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-
> > > list

> > > 1)  Under the Edit menu, click "Preferences"
> > > 2)  Select "News and Blogs" then click Add.
> > > 3)  In the Feed URL box, enter the feed; in this case,
> > > news.eternal-
> > > september.org
> > > 4)  Under Advanced Options, choose the Authentication tab.  Check
> > > the
> > > Use authentication box, enter the Username and Password in the
> > > appropriate boxen.  Click OK.
> > >
> > > And nothing happens.
> >
> > Thanks! And sorry, my brain yesterday didn't connect the term
> > "newsfeed" to what I would have probably named "newsgroup".
>
> Same here. A newsfeed usually means something else, such as RSS.

Perhaps I'm the one who should apologize.  To me, "newsfeed" means all
the newsgroups, not just the one.  If I'm mistaken in this, please
correct me!

Ken

On Sun, 2020-11-01 at 12:54 -0500, Ken Wright wrote:

> On Sun, 2020-11-01 at 10:31 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Sun, 2020-11-01 at 10:43 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list
> > wrote:

> > > Thanks! And sorry, my brain yesterday didn't connect the term
> > > "newsfeed" to what I would have probably named "newsgroup".
> >
> > Same here. A newsfeed usually means something else, such as RSS.
>
> Perhaps I'm the one who should apologize.  To me, "newsfeed" means all
> the newsgroups, not just the one.  If I'm mistaken in this, please
> correct me!

On reflection, I don't think you're mistaken given the context. It's
been so long since I had any interaction with Net News that I'd
forgotten the terminology.

On Sun, 2020-11-01 at 18:10 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Sun, 2020-11-01 at 12:54 -0500, Ken Wright wrote:
> > On Sun, 2020-11-01 at 10:31 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > On Sun, 2020-11-01 at 10:43 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-
> > > list

> > > Same here. A newsfeed usually means something else, such as RSS.
> >
> > Perhaps I'm the one who should apologize.  To me, "newsfeed" means
> > all
> > the newsgroups, not just the one.  If I'm mistaken in this, please
> > correct me!
>
> On reflection, I don't think you're mistaken given the context. It's
> been so long since I had any interaction with Net News that I'd
> forgotten the terminology.

Okay, now that we've resolved the semantics, can I get some help with
the original problem?  I still can't get my few newsgroups in
Evolution!

On Tue, 2020-11-03 at 01:58 -0500, Ken Wright wrote:
> > On reflection, I don't think you're mistaken given the context. It's
> > been so long since I had any interaction with Net News that I'd
> > forgotten the terminology.
>
> Okay, now that we've resolved the semantics, can I get some help with
> the original problem?  I still can't get my few newsgroups in
> Evolution!

Not from me I'm afraid. I never use this feature. Maybe someone else
can chip in.

On Tue, 2020-11-03 at 12:08 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Maybe someone else can chip in.

        Hi,
maybe I can step in, though, to be honest, I'm confused. This thread
mentions Edit->Preferences->News and Blogs. This one comes from
evolution-rss plugin, thus it's (only) about RSS feeds. These are shown
under On This Computer/News and Blogs.

Then there had been mentioned NNTP. Can it be that Ken wants to use
NNTP instead? In that case File->New->Mail Account and when on the
Receiving Email pick "USENET News" as the Server Type. Once the wizard
is over you can Folder->Subscribtions and pick this NNTP account, which
will provide you with the news groups the server you use offers.

On Tue, 2020-11-03 at 12:59 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-11-03 at 12:08 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > Maybe someone else can chip in.
>
>         Hi,
> maybe I can step in, though, to be honest, I'm confused. This thread
> mentions Edit->Preferences->News and Blogs. This one comes from
> evolution-rss plugin, thus it's (only) about RSS feeds. These are
> shown under On This Computer/News and Blogs.
>
> Then there had been mentioned NNTP. Can it be that Ken wants to use
> NNTP instead? In that case File->New->Mail Account and when on the
> Receiving Email pick "USENET News" as the Server Type. Once the
> wizard is over you can Folder->Subscribtions and pick this NNTP
> account, which will provide you with the news groups the server you
> use offers.
>         Bye,
>         Milan

Ding!  Ding!  Ding!  We have a winnah!

Milan, I tried what you suggested, and it worked flawlessly.  My hat is
off to you!

Ken