Not marking unread messages read

Mark @ StantonCentral
When I open a folder and the currently selected message is unread, it
doesn't get marked as unread after the timeout I've set.

Is this a known bug, a bug at all, or simply showing I've set something
up incorrectly?

This is 3.36.5 (3.36.5-1.fc32)

Mark
Please don't ask me to upgrade to the latest version (if there is a
later one). This version comes with my Linux repo, which is Fedora 32,
which means it's at least fairly recent.

Re: Not marking unread messages read

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Thu, 2020-11-05 at 16:02 +0100, Mark Stanton wrote:
> Is this a known bug, a bug at all, or simply showing I've set
> something up incorrectly?

        Hi,
there is a hidden option to always mark as read. It's off by default.
Some users prefer to have messages marked on an explicit selection in
the folder, some not. The default is better when all the messages in
the chosen folder are marked as unread. Or not, it depends on
respective users' preference. If I recall correctly, the default was
chosen to not change the behavior before the option was added.

Run this on the terminal to change it:
   $ gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.mail mark-seen-always true

Hope it helps.

P.S: you are right, the 3.36.5 is quite recent. The latest stable
is 3.38.1, part of Fedora 33. Your issue won't fix by an
update/upgrade.

On Thu, 2020-11-05 at 15:02 +0000, Mark Stanton wrote:
> When I open a folder and the currently selected message is unread, it
> doesn't get marked as unread after the timeout I've set.
>
> Is this a known bug, a bug at all, or simply showing I've set something
> up incorrectly?
>
> This is 3.36.5 (3.36.5-1.fc32)

Are you sure that's what you mean? It's usual to mark *unread* messages
as *read* after a given time, not the other way round. I've never heard
of an email client doing what you say.

On Thu, 2020-11-05 at 17:34 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
>

> On Thu, 2020-11-05 at 16:02 +0100, Mark Stanton wrote:
> > Is this a known bug, a bug at all, or simply showing I've set
> > something up incorrectly?
>
>         Hi,
> there is a hidden option to always mark as read. It's off by default.
> Some users prefer to have messages marked on an explicit selection in
> the folder, some not. The default is better when all the messages in
> the chosen folder are marked as unread. Or not, it depends on
> respective users' preference. If I recall correctly, the default was
> chosen to not change the behavior before the option was added.

This reminds me about similar issue. I have "Mark messages as read after" set to 0
but if I delete several new emails as fast as I can by hitting the WasteBasket button,
many of the mails ends up as Unread in Deleted Items.

 Jocke

Re: Not marking unread messages read

Mark @ StantonCentral
Thanks for that Patrick. Yes, I mistyped.
Sounds like Milan's got the right end of the slightly muddy stick I
presented.

On Thu, 2020-11-05 at 16:47 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-11-05 at 15:02 +0000, Mark Stanton wrote:
> > When I open a folder and the currently selected message is unread,
> > it
> > doesn't get marked as unread after the timeout I've set.
> >
> > Is this a known bug, a bug at all, or simply showing I've set
> > something
> > up incorrectly?
> >
> > This is 3.36.5 (3.36.5-1.fc32)
>
> Are you sure that's what you mean? It's usual to mark *unread*
> messages
> as *read* after a given time, not the other way round. I've never
> heard
> of an email client doing what you say.
>
> poc

Re: Not marking unread messages read

Mark @ StantonCentral
Thanks Milan,

I'll apply that.

I'm gonna give Fedora 33 a few more weeks before upgrading. I look
forward to new Evolution too :-)

Thanks again.

On Thu, 2020-11-05 at 17:52 +0100, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> I have "Mark messages as read after" set to 0
> but if I delete several new emails as fast as I can by hitting the
> WasteBasket button,
> many of the mails ends up as Unread in Deleted Items.

        Hi,
there can be a race between "store flags" and "move to trash folder".
Sometimes the message is moved before it's marked as read on the server
side (it can happen especially when the server has a MOVE function).
I guess we speak about EWS here, but it applies to IMAP too.

On Thu, 2020-11-05 at 18:05 +0100, Mark Stanton wrote:
> Sounds like Milan's got the right end of the slightly muddy stick I
> presented.

        Hi,
it's because Milan doesn't read carefully, especially when he knows
there was a similar report "recently". ;)