OO in evolution

Wojciech Polak
Hi,

I would like to have direct access to OO documents from evolution
instead of saving it to disk first. I use KDE.

I can open Calc but not writer (silly isn't it)

I have gnome-control-center installed but it doesn't seem to help much

Best regards
Wojtek

This is a confidential e-mail intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). Unauthorized publication, use, dissemination or disclosure of this message, either in whole or in part is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error please send it back to the sender and delete it.

Tresc tej wiadomosci zawiera informacje poufne, przeznaczone tylko dla adresata.
Udostepnianie, ujawnianie, powielanie, rozpowszechnianie badz powolywanie sie na jakikolwiek jej fragment przez inne osoby jest zabronione. W razie przypadkowego otrzymania tej wiadomosci, prosimy o powiadomienie o tym nadawcy oraz trwale jej usuniecie.

Re: OO in evolution

Veerapuram Varadhan
On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 13:16 +0000, Wojciech Polak  wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to have direct access to OO documents from evolution
> instead of saving it to disk first. I use KDE.
>
> I can open Calc but not writer (silly isn't it)
You might want to check the mime-type binding or whatever is equivalent
in KDE.  In gnome, there is a tool called "gnome-open", which when given
a file-name as an argument, tries to open it using the *default*
application that has registered itself as the app to open such files.

I don't know what you have in KDE for this.  You could try any such
tool, if available.

V. Varadhan

Re: OO in evolution

Karsten Bräckelmann-2

> > I would like to have direct access to OO documents from evolution
> > instead of saving it to disk first. I use KDE.
> >
> > I can open Calc but not writer (silly isn't it)
>
> You might want to check the mime-type binding or whatever is equivalent
> in KDE.  In gnome, there is a tool called "gnome-open", which when given
> a file-name as an argument, tries to open it using the *default*
> application that has registered itself as the app to open such files.
>
> I don't know what you have in KDE for this.  You could try any such
> tool, if available.

No. Evolution is a GNOME app, and therefore respects GNOME settings only
and does not know about KDE specific solutions. This one will work
*only*, if KDE alters the users .desktop files in $XDG_DATA_HOME
(freedesktop.org spec).

This post might help:
 http://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2005-November/msg00053.html

Regarding "works for Calc but not Writer": It's not the extension that
matters, but the MIME Type -- which happens to be set for the attachment
by the senders MUA. This means, you might need to add the MIME Type the
sender uses to your list of known MIME Types...

...guenther