OneNote memos (Sticky Notes) not formatting correctly

OneNote memos (Sticky Notes) not formatting correctly

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
I'm having a minor issue with the format of Outlook's OneNote Sticky
Notes. When I create a memo in Evolution, the formatting holds when it
syncs with my Outlook account. There really isn't much available to
format - only carriage returns/line feeds - so my notes look very plain
(which is fine; all of the bold/underline/bullets are just extras to
me). However, when I make any changes from the Sticky Notes app or from
their website, all previous CRs/LFs disappear and the notes become a
long run-on sentence.

Here's an example - this note was created with Evolution:

Mom's food orders

Jersey Mikes: (6sub) Cali, Mike's way (no avocado)

Now, if I make any change on OneNote, it becomes this:

>Mom's food ordersJersey Mikes: (6sub) Cali, Mike's way (with avocado)

Has anyone else experienced this?

Re: OneNote memos (Sticky Notes) not formatting correctly

On Sun, 2020-12-20 at 20:18 +0000, Douglas Summers wrote:

> I'm having a minor issue with the format of Outlook's OneNote Sticky
> Notes. When I create a memo in Evolution, the formatting holds when
> it
> syncs with my Outlook account. There really isn't much available to
> format - only carriage returns/line feeds - so my notes look very
> plain
> (which is fine; all of the bold/underline/bullets are just extras to
> me). However, when I make any changes from the Sticky Notes app or
> from
> their website, all previous CRs/LFs disappear and the notes become a
> long run-on sentence.
>
> Here's an example - this note was created with Evolution:
>
> Mom's food orders
>
> Jersey Mikes: (6sub) Cali, Mike's way (no avocado)
>
> Now, if I make any change on OneNote, it becomes this:
>
> > Mom's food ordersJersey Mikes: (6sub) Cali, Mike's way (with
> > avocado)

Sounds like something to bring up in OneNote support forums? I could
vaguely imagine lack of support of some line break types:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1552749/difference-between-cr-lf-lf-and-cr-line-break-types

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

Re: OneNote memos (Sticky Notes) not formatting correctly

Ángel González
On 2020-12-20 at 22:36 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list wrote:

> On Sun, 2020-12-20 at 20:18 +0000, Douglas Summers wrote:
> > I'm having a minor issue with the format of Outlook's OneNote
> > Sticky Notes. When I create a memo in Evolution, the formatting
> > holds when it syncs with my Outlook account. There really isn't
> > much available to format - only carriage returns/line feeds - so my
> > notes look very plain (which is fine; all of the
> > bold/underline/bullets are just extras to me). However, when I make
> > any changes from the Sticky Notes app or from their website, all
> > previous CRs/LFs disappear and the notes become a long run-on
> > sentence.
>
> Sounds like something to bring up in OneNote support forums? I could
> vaguely imagine lack of support of some line break types:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1552749/difference-between-cr-lf-lf-and-cr-line-break-types

Does OneNote app show the note properly on view and edit (thus the
problem only appears on saving)? Or do already disappear when viewing
them?

If the latter, they might argue that notes must use CRLF (not just by
being Microsoft, that's what internet standards generally use), and
OneNote app not supporting anything else.

But if it is shown properly, that's clearly an editing issue.
As you mention formatting, I wonder if it is taking a plain note and
then treating it as html, losing newlines through the way.

Best regards

On Sat, 2020-12-26 at 23:52 +0100, Ángel wrote:

> On 2020-12-20 at 22:36 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list wrote:
> > On Sun, 2020-12-20 at 20:18 +0000, Douglas Summers wrote:
> > > I'm having a minor issue with the format of Outlook's OneNote
> > > Sticky Notes. When I create a memo in Evolution, the formatting
> > > holds when it syncs with my Outlook account. There really isn't
> > > much available to format - only carriage returns/line feeds - so
> > > my
> > > notes look very plain (which is fine; all of the
> > > bold/underline/bullets are just extras to me). However, when I
> > > make
> > > any changes from the Sticky Notes app or from their website, all
> > > previous CRs/LFs disappear and the notes become a long run-on
> > > sentence.
> >
> > Sounds like something to bring up in OneNote support forums? I
> > could
> > vaguely imagine lack of support of some line break types:
> > https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstackoverflow.com%2Fquestions%2F1552749%2Fdifference-between-cr-lf-lf-and-cr-line-break-types&data=04%7C01%7C%7C48e736f1954849fa49d308d8a9f102ca%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637446199897943577%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=snOuYPLRPH7Yqb50S%2FHwzIcU5pqZ3gD9WqLAHHsw4qM%3D&reserved=0
>

> Does OneNote app show the note properly on view and edit (thus the
> problem only appears on saving)? Or do already disappear when viewing
> them?
>
> If the latter, they might argue that notes must use CRLF (not just by
> being Microsoft, that's what internet standards generally use), and
> OneNote app not supporting anything else.
>
> But if it is shown properly, that's clearly an editing issue.
> As you mention formatting, I wonder if it is taking a plain note and
> then treating it as html, losing newlines through the way.
>
> Best regards

What I'm seeing is that any note that's edited with Evolution displays
properly in the OneNote app or web page. But any saved edit from
OneNote removes all the line feeds from Evolution's view.

Re: OneNote memos (Sticky Notes) not formatting correctly

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Sun, 2020-12-27 at 00:15 +0100, Douglas Summers via evolution-list
wrote:
> What I'm seeing is that any note that's edited with Evolution
> displays
> properly in the OneNote app or web page. But any saved edit from
> OneNote removes all the line feeds from Evolution's view.

        Hi,
how do you connect to the OneNote in Evolution, please? Maybe the used
connector should do some conversion before saving.