Order by Read Status ?

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Linux Mint 19.3
Evolution  3.38.3 (flatpak git85cfa12)

Every so often,  I get hit with a barrage of emails the leaves me with some large number of unread emails scattered
through my emails.

Is there a way to get evolution to display  all unread emails first, followed by the read emails  (be even better if the
respective lists were then ordered by date )?

Thanks..

Re: Order by Read Status ?

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Sun, 2020-12-06 at 09:42 -0600, Anonymous Japhering via evolution-
list wrote:

> Linux Mint 19.3
> Evolution  3.38.3 (flatpak git85cfa12)
>
> Every so often,  I get hit with a barrage of emails the leaves me with some
> large number of unread emails scattered
> through my emails.
>
> Is there a way to get evolution to display  all unread emails first, followed by
> the read emails  (be even better if the
> respective lists were then ordered by date )?

I just select Unread from the drop-down menu at the top. In fact I
usually have this set as my standard folder view.

If you wanted everything in one place, I guess you could use a Search
Folder.

Re: Order by Read Status ?

On Sun, 2020-12-06 at 09:42 -0600, Anonymous Japhering wrote:
> Is there a way to get evolution to display  all unread emails first

Hi,

in the "Message list" [ https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/intro-main-window.html.en ]
sort by "Status", which depending to the used icon theme likely has got
the icon of an opened or closed envelope or arrows. Click it one or two
times to chose between "Descending" or "Ascending". You also could use
the "Search bar"'s "Show" selection box to chose between "All messages",
"Unread messages", "Read messages" etc. to sort on demand.

If the column "Status" should be missing in the column bar, left click
the column bar and add "Status", to any position you like.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Order by Read Status ?

On Sun, 2020-12-06 at 15:56 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> If you wanted everything in one place, I guess you could use a Search
> Folder.

Good point! My hints work for individual folders only. Indeed, a search
folder is the way to go, to get everything sorted in one "virtual"
folder.

Re: Order by Read Status ?

> On Sun, 2020-12-06 at 09:42 -0600, Anonymous Japhering wrote:
> > Is there a way to get evolution to display  all unread emails first
>
> Hi,
>
> in the "Message list" [ https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/intro-
> main-window.html.en ]
> sort by "Status", which depending to the used icon theme likely has got
> the icon of an opened or closed envelope or arrows. Click it one or two
> times to chose between "Descending" or "Ascending". You also could use
> the "Search bar"'s "Show" selection box to chose between "All messages",
> "Unread messages", "Read messages" etc. to sort on demand.
>
> If the column "Status" should be missing in the column bar, left click
> the column bar and add "Status", to any position you like.

That was the piece that I was missing, when I went in initially, there was no
"Status" in the sort by list. It didn't appear until the third or fourth time
in.

Thanks, Ralf and POC

Re: Order by Read Status ?

On Sun, 2020-12-06 at 10:27 -0600, Anonymous Japhering wrote:
> On Sun, 2020-12-06 at 17:18 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > If the column "Status" should be missing in the column bar, left click
> > the column bar and add "Status", to any position you like.
>
> That was the piece that I was missing, when I went in initially, there was no
> "Status" in the sort by list. It didn't appear until the third or fourth time
> in.

One pitfall of "better" mail clients such as Evolution, Claws and many
other is, that customization could be a little bit confusing. OTOH mail
clients such as Apple Mail, that don't offer that much features, are
usually not less, but often way more confusing and a PITA to use,
related to missing features.