POP to IMAP conversion

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

POP to IMAP conversion

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Hello group

My wife has an Evolution mailbox configured as POP3.  I want to convert
this implementation over to IMAP.  Can I backup her mail via the
Evolution backup tool (1G+), wipe out that mailbox, recreate it under
the same mailbox name and address as IMAP, and import the mail from the
backup?  
Will that work?

Thx

Reid

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: POP to IMAP conversion

Pete Biggs

> My wife has an Evolution mailbox configured as POP3.  I want to convert
> this implementation over to IMAP.  Can I backup her mail via the
> Evolution backup tool (1G+), wipe out that mailbox, recreate it under
> the same mailbox name and address as IMAP, and import the mail from the
> backup?  
> Will that work?
>
The POP mail is stored on the computer - even if you delete the POP
account, the mail will still be there on the computer.

So, backup the mail (for safety), delete the POP account, create the
IMAP account, once that's all done and everything is happy, copy
whatever mail you want from "On this computer" into the IMAP account.

There's no need to remove the mailbox under "On this Computer", and if
it's the Inbox, you probably shouldn't anyway as it'll just cause
confusion later.

P.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: POP to IMAP conversion

Patrick O'Callaghan
In reply to this post by Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Mon, 2019-05-06 at 13:37 -0400, Reid Vail via evolution-list wrote:
> Hello group
>
> My wife has an Evolution mailbox configured as POP3.  I want to convert
> this implementation over to IMAP.  Can I backup her mail via the
> Evolution backup tool (1G+), wipe out that mailbox, recreate it under
> the same mailbox name and address as IMAP, and import the mail from the
> backup?  
> Will that work?

No. The backup tool will restore the same mail structure it backed up.
It's just a compressed archive.

"Converting" to IMAP is a misnomer. IMAP and POP are mail access
protocols, so what you need to do is fetch mail using IMAP rather than
POP.

Here are some outline instructions off the top of my head. Test
carefully before deleting anything, and if you're unsure of anything
than use the backup tool as a safeguard before making changes.

It would be helpful to know what mail provider this is, but in any case
the first issue is to find out if they support IMAP. Assuming they do,
go to Edit->Preferences->Mail Accounts and disable mail fetching for
the POP account. Then create a new mail account in Evolution using the
same name and account details as for the POP version, but obviously
changing the access method to IMAP.

Now you want to convert the old POP mail to IMAP. There are two cases:

   1. Mail which is still on the server, either because it has not yet
      been fetched or because the POP configuration included "leave on
      server", should (in theory) be immediately visible in the IMAP
      account with no conversion required. Of course YMMV because server
      implementations may have their own quirks.
   2. Mail which had previously been fetched and is stored locally can be
      simply dragged to the new account structure. Optionally, you may
      want to create a new structure on the IMAP server and upload the
      mail to it, which can be done in a similar way.

If the POP account had filters, e.g. for sorting into local folders,
they will need to be recreated to use IMAP folders. You should also
consider whether you want to enable off-line access for some folders,
because otherwise the mail will stay on the IMAP server.

Once that's all done, you can delete the POP account configuration in
Evo.

Hope I haven't forgotten anything obvious (or obscure). Feel free to
ask if you have any doubts.

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: POP to IMAP conversion

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Thanks Patrick.  

This looks straight forward enough.  I especially like the idea of
dragging the folder from POP to IMAP.  There doesn't appear to be a
requirement to "import".

Just FYI, the provider is runbox.  I like them a lot.  I'm using their
IMAP now and it works great.

Thx

Reid

On Mon, 2019-05-06 at 19:21 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Mon, 2019-05-06 at 13:37 -0400, Reid Vail via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > Hello group
> >
> > My wife has an Evolution mailbox configured as POP3.  I want to
> > convert
> > this implementation over to IMAP.  Can I backup her mail via the
> > Evolution backup tool (1G+), wipe out that mailbox, recreate it
> > under
> > the same mailbox name and address as IMAP, and import the mail from
> > the
> > backup?  
> > Will that work?
>
> No. The backup tool will restore the same mail structure it backed
> up.
> It's just a compressed archive.
>
> "Converting" to IMAP is a misnomer. IMAP and POP are mail access
> protocols, so what you need to do is fetch mail using IMAP rather
> than
> POP.
>
> Here are some outline instructions off the top of my head. Test
> carefully before deleting anything, and if you're unsure of anything
> than use the backup tool as a safeguard before making changes.
>
> It would be helpful to know what mail provider this is, but in any
> case
> the first issue is to find out if they support IMAP. Assuming they
> do,
> go to Edit->Preferences->Mail Accounts and disable mail fetching for
> the POP account. Then create a new mail account in Evolution using
> the
> same name and account details as for the POP version, but obviously
> changing the access method to IMAP.
>
> Now you want to convert the old POP mail to IMAP. There are two
> cases:
>
>    1. Mail which is still on the server, either because it has not
> yet
>       been fetched or because the POP configuration included "leave
> on
>       server", should (in theory) be immediately visible in the IMAP
>       account with no conversion required. Of course YMMV because
> server
>       implementations may have their own quirks.
>    2. Mail which had previously been fetched and is stored locally
> can be
>       simply dragged to the new account structure. Optionally, you
> may
>       want to create a new structure on the IMAP server and upload
> the
>       mail to it, which can be done in a similar way.
>
> If the POP account had filters, e.g. for sorting into local folders,
> they will need to be recreated to use IMAP folders. You should also
> consider whether you want to enable off-line access for some folders,
> because otherwise the mail will stay on the IMAP server.
>
> Once that's all done, you can delete the POP account configuration in
> Evo.
>
> Hope I haven't forgotten anything obvious (or obscure). Feel free to
> ask if you have any doubts.
>
> poc
>
> _______________________________________________
> evolution-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: POP to IMAP conversion

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Pete Biggs
Thanks Pete

On Mon, 2019-05-06 at 19:13 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> > My wife has an Evolution mailbox configured as POP3.  I want to
> > convert
> > this implementation over to IMAP.  Can I backup her mail via the
> > Evolution backup tool (1G+), wipe out that mailbox, recreate it
> > under
> > the same mailbox name and address as IMAP, and import the mail from
> > the
> > backup?  
> > Will that work?
> >
> The POP mail is stored on the computer - even if you delete the POP
> account, the mail will still be there on the computer.
>
> So, backup the mail (for safety), delete the POP account, create the
> IMAP account, once that's all done and everything is happy, copy
> whatever mail you want from "On this computer" into the IMAP account.
>
> There's no need to remove the mailbox under "On this Computer", and
> if
> it's the Inbox, you probably shouldn't anyway as it'll just cause
> confusion later.
>
> P.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> evolution-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list