Printing Mail to PDF

John Murrell
When I print mail from Evolution as a PDF file any hyperlinks in the mail message are shown as text and can not be clicked on to follow them.

Is this a problem in Evolution or in my (Linux Mint) PDF printer ?

Being able to print to a PDF with active links would be a lot easier than copying and pasting the original message or appointment into a writer document so I can open it on another computer.

Thanks

John Murrell

Re: Printing Mail to PDF

On Mon, 2020-11-16 at 11:24 +0000, John Murrell wrote:
> When I print mail from Evolution as a PDF file any hyperlinks in the
> mail message are shown as text and can not be clicked on to follow
> them.

A plain text email? Or a HTML email?

> Is this a problem in Evolution or in my (Linux Mint) PDF printer ?

Hard to say. Which exact Evolution version?

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

Re: Printing Mail to PDF

John Murrell
The Emails are in HTML - I can click on the links in Evolution and they work Ok. The same happens if I paste the email body into the Calendar , the links work Ok but fail when printed to PDF.

I am using the version of Evolution in the Linux Mint Repository 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.2

I am using Linux Mint 19.3 MATE 64 bit . I'm not sure what version the Print to File as PDF is, I can't find where this is located in the system, it does not appear on the printer list

Thanks

John

Hi,

wrote:
> > Is this a problem in Evolution or in my (Linux Mint) PDF printer ?
>
> Hard to say. Which exact Evolution version?

        Hi,
I'm afraid it's a problem of the WebKitGTK. Evolution just passes data
to it and it does whatever it wants to with it. I doubt it can
recognize real print to the PDF, it uses only styles. For example when
I try to print Andre's mail, which is plain text, then the headers lost
their mailto: "links" (more or less expected, Evolution can process
some parts differently on print), but the text part has properly styled
(blue & underlined here) the links in the Andre's signature and the
links to the mailing list, they are only not clickable.

I do not know whether this could be done at all, though. It's a
question on the WebKitGTK developers. When I print a web page from the
Epiphany (which is WebKitGTK application), then it doesn't make the
links clickable too.

Re: Printing Mail to PDF

John Murrell
Thanks Milan,

Looks like I will have to continue with my work around of copying the email or appointment into a Libre Office document.

John Murrell