Problem with mouse scrolling

Jonathan Ryshpan
Mouse scrolling no longer works in a message window created by double clicking on a message.  Scrolling does work on messages shown by typing ctrl/m, and on every other application on my system, which is:
  • Fedora-32 fully up to date
  • KDE Frameworks 5.73.0 (for most apps; KDE is my preferred platform)
  • Evolution 3.36.5 (3.36.5-1.fc32)
  • gtk3-3.24.23-1.fc32.x86_64

Any suggestions on how to fix?  Should I file a bug?

BTW: How can I find out the previous version of evolution installed on my system; the problem arose recently, almost surely because of an update.

Thanks - jon

Re: Problem with mouse scrolling

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 11:08:10 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
>BTW: How can I find out the previous version of evolution installed on
>my system; the problem arose recently, almost surely because of an
>update.

Hi,

I've given up the rpm package management decades ago. IOW I'm not
familiar with it anymore.

Regarding google you could run

# rpm -q <package name> --last

Dunno if this is correct. Your distro might or might not provide a
downgrade option. However, downgrading evolution related packages might
not work without either downgrading tons of other packages or compiling
a previous version of evolution against current versions of
dependencies, if it should work at all. Let alone that evolution might
not be the culprit, but a dependency probably might cause the issue.

In a nutshell, consider to join a mailing list or forum of your distro
and as maybe the case file a bug report at your distros's bug tracker.

>Evolution 3.36.5 (3.36.5-1.fc32)
                         ^^
                         -1 is a pointer that it's most likely the
                         first rlease of a package, of this particular
                         evolution version.

However, how to value the -1 depends on the policy of your distro.

Assuming a release model distro, there might be no upgrade of the
evolution version or any dependency version, but a version of a
dependency might be patched, IOW it might have a new package release
number. A patch, maybe something backported could be the culprit.

On Thu, 2020-11-12 at 11:08 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> Mouse scrolling no longer works in a message window created by double
> clicking on a message.  Scrolling does work on messages shown by typing
> ctrl/m, and on every other application on my system, which is:
>  * Fedora-32 fully up to date
>  * KDE Frameworks 5.73.0 (for most apps; KDE is my preferred platform)
>  * Evolution 3.36.5 (3.36.5-1.fc32)
>  * gtk3-3.24.23-1.fc32.x86_64
>
> Any suggestions on how to fix?  Should I file a bug?

Is mouse scrolling working in other applications? I ask because just
recently my mouse stopped scrolling in every app (on Fedora 33) and
only recovered after I rebooted (IIRC not even logging out was enough).
I've no idea what caused it but have a vague sensation of having
clicked something unintentionally. I also use KDE.

> BTW: How can I find out the previous version of evolution installed on
> my system; the problem arose recently, almost surely because of an
> update.

This isn't strictly an Evolution question but a Fedora one. However you
can use 'dnf history' to see the log of package installs and updates
(see the man page for dnf). /var/log/dnf.rpm.log may also be useful.

On Thu, 2020-11-12 at 15:49 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:

> > > BTW: How can I find out the previous version of evolution installed on
> > > my system; the problem arose recently, almost surely because of an
> > > update.
> >
> > This isn't strictly an Evolution question but a Fedora one. However you
> > can use 'dnf history' to see the log of package installs and updates
> > (see the man page for dnf). /var/log/dnf.rpm.log may also be useful.
>
> Unfortunately (OT)  :
>    1. "$ dnf history" appears to show only when updates were made and how
>       many packages were affected by the update.
>    2. Further, /var/log/dnf.rpm.log appears to show only updates made by
>       dnf and not those made by the discover app, or by the "Software
>       Updates" app in the tray.  I vaguely remember that the discover app
>       had a history function, but I can't find it now, and (as I remember)
>       it wasn't very useful.

'dnf history' can show the exact sequence of package updates. That's
why I referred you to the manual.

I only ever use dnf, so I can't speak to other updaters. Some people
like dnfdragora but I prefer the command line as it's clearer about
what is actually happening. Many of these things use a common backend
managed by pkgconf, but I have no experience of that.

Re: Problem with mouse scrolling

On Thu, 2020-11-12 at 20:45 +0100, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list
wrote:
> I've given up the rpm package management decades ago. IOW I'm not
> familiar with it anymore.
>
> Regarding google you could run
>
> # rpm -q <package name> --last

That just shows the most-recently-installed package(s), which isn't
what the OP wanted. When used with a single package name, it's
redundant.

On Thu, 2020-11-12 at 22:42 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2020-11-12 at 11:08 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:>
> > Mouse scrolling no longer works in a message window created by double
> > clicking on a message.  Scrolling does work on messages shown by typing
> > ctrl/m, and on every other application on my system, which is:
> >  * Fedora-32 fully up to date
> >  * KDE Frameworks 5.73.0 (for most apps; KDE is my preferred platform)
> >  * Evolution 3.36.5 (3.36.5-1.fc32)
> >  * gtk3-3.24.23-1.fc32.x86_64

> > Any suggestions on how to fix?  Should I file a bug?

> Is mouse scrolling working in other applications? I ask because just
> recently my mouse stopped scrolling in every app (on Fedora 33) and
> only recovered after I rebooted (IIRC not even logging out was enough).
> I've no idea what caused it but have a vague sensation of having
> clicked something unintentionally. I also use KDE.

The problem occurred only in evolution and only in popup windows, not
in the preview window (made visible by ctrl/m).  And not it has gone
away after a minor update and reboot.  (Thanks for the hint.)