Problems with Exchange MAPI

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Problems with Exchange MAPI

pablo.a.saavedra@gmail.com
Hi,

I'm having problems logging in to our exchange server using exchange MAPI. I enter the URL, username and domain and it gives me an authentication failure. I tried both OWA and mail server url, and the username with and without @domain.com.

I know the username and password are correct because I could connect through OWA: Do you know what might the problem be? I'm using Evolution 2.30, shipped with Maverick.

Thanks in advance.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with Exchange MAPI

Milan Crha
On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 14:54 -0300, Pablo Saavedra wrote:
> I'm having problems logging in to our exchange server using exchange MAPI. I
> enter the URL, username and domain and it gives me an authentication
> failure. I tried both OWA and mail server url, and the username with and
> without @domain.com.

        Hi,
could you run evolution from console like this
   $ EXCHANGEMAPI_DEBUG=1 evolution
and try to authenticate against the server, whether it'll show you the
reason, why it failed, please? You can also try to export MAPI_DEBUG=10,
which shows raw communication between libmapi and the server, but it's
hard to read and very chatty, so I would suggest to skip this unless
really necessary needed.

You can also try to configure a profile for openchangeclient and try to
connect to the server with it. You can create a profile with mapiprofile
and then use it with openchangeclient. This is out of scope of this
email, though, but the profile uses same values as evolution's UI.

With respect of the values used for the account setup:
 - Server - is just server IP or address without protocol,
   like exchange.example.com
 - User name - well, it depends on the server setup, but there is
   usually set a username, not an email address, as a login
 - Domain - this is a windows domain, in which is user defined.
   It's not the example.com domain from the url. Your admins may be
   able to tell you the right domain for your user.

The other possibility can be that your server allows only secure
connections. This feature can be enabled in UI of later evolution-mapi,
like 0.32.0. There's a flag in the profile to enable this. But it might
not be that too, I do not know, it all really depends on the error
returned from the libmapi during profile creation.
        Hope that helps,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with Exchange MAPI

pablo.a.saavedra@gmail.com
Thanks, it looks like the reply-to is not properly configured :). I'll try that and let you know how it went



On 13 October 2010 10:09, Milan Crha <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 09:49 -0300, Pablo Saavedra wrote:
> Thanks, it looks like the reason is a network timeout:
>
> Failed to connect host 64.71.238.24 on port 135 - NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT
> Failed to connect host 64.71.238.24 (mse18fe2.mse18.exchange.ms) on port 135
> - NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT.
>
> I tried to telnet but the port is closed. However, one of my workmates has
> windows and was able to setup outlook automatically without any problem.
>
> Any ideas which port it might be using? This is exchange 2007, at least.

       Hi,
I'm sorry, I have no idea. Try to create a profile like this:
mapiprofile -c -P test -I mse18fe2.mse18.exchange.ms -D windows_domain
-u user -p password
and when it will resist with other than IO_TIMEOUT error, then maybe
also add -E for encrypted connection.

I would try to 'tracert' to that machine from your colleagues windows
machine, maybe it resolves to a different destination machine.
       Bye,
       Milan

P.S.: you, probably incidentally, replied only to me



_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with Exchange MAPI

pablo.a.saavedra@gmail.com
I tried the command you posted and I had the same problem, with and without the -E flag. I'll try to figure out where is outlook connecting.

If anyone was able to connect to exchange.ms successfully, I'll appreciate your experience :)

Thanks a lot


On 13 October 2010 10:18, Pablo Saavedra <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, it looks like the reply-to is not properly configured :). I'll try that and let you know how it went



On 13 October 2010 10:09, Milan Crha <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 09:49 -0300, Pablo Saavedra wrote:
> Thanks, it looks like the reason is a network timeout:
>
> Failed to connect host 64.71.238.24 on port 135 - NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT
> Failed to connect host 64.71.238.24 (mse18fe2.mse18.exchange.ms) on port 135
> - NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT.
>
> I tried to telnet but the port is closed. However, one of my workmates has
> windows and was able to setup outlook automatically without any problem.
>
> Any ideas which port it might be using? This is exchange 2007, at least.

       Hi,
I'm sorry, I have no idea. Try to create a profile like this:
mapiprofile -c -P test -I mse18fe2.mse18.exchange.ms -D windows_domain
-u user -p password
and when it will resist with other than IO_TIMEOUT error, then maybe
also add -E for encrypted connection.

I would try to 'tracert' to that machine from your colleagues windows
machine, maybe it resolves to a different destination machine.
       Bye,
       Milan

P.S.: you, probably incidentally, replied only to me




_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with Exchange MAPI

Kåre Fiedler Christiansen-4
On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 15:42, Pablo Saavedra
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I tried the command you posted and I had the same problem, with and without
> the -E flag. I'll try to figure out where is outlook connecting.
> If anyone was able to connect to exchange.ms successfully, I'll appreciate
> your experience :)

I have evolution MAPI working (though currently disabled because it
slowed my system to almost a standstill - that is a few versions ago
though, I haven't tried recently).

It may be that the servername you have to input is quite different to
what you expect. It was for me.

Try logging in to your OWA, and select "Options" in the top-right
corner, then select "About" in the menu on the left hand side. Then
find the entry called "Mailbox server name". This is the server name
you must use. It might be different to the servers you have already
tried.

> Thanks a lot

You're welcome.

Another thing: On this mailing list we generally use the convention
that we reply below what we quote. It is easier to follow the
conversations if you can try to do the same, rather than reply at the
top of the messages.

<snipped bottomposted text>

Best,
  Kåre

--
Kåre Fiedler Christiansen
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with Exchange MAPI

pablo.a.saavedra@gmail.com


On 13 October 2010 14:19, Kåre Fiedler Christiansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 15:42, Pablo Saavedra
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I tried the command you posted and I had the same problem, with and without
> the -E flag. I'll try to figure out where is outlook connecting.
> If anyone was able to connect to exchange.ms successfully, I'll appreciate
> your experience :)

I have evolution MAPI working (though currently disabled because it
slowed my system to almost a standstill - that is a few versions ago
though, I haven't tried recently).

It may be that the servername you have to input is quite different to
what you expect. It was for me.

Try logging in to your OWA, and select "Options" in the top-right
corner, then select "About" in the menu on the left hand side. Then
find the entry called "Mailbox server name". This is the server name
you must use. It might be different to the servers you have already
tried.

> Thanks a lot

You're welcome.

Another thing: On this mailing list we generally use the convention
that we reply below what we quote. It is easier to follow the
conversations if you can try to do the same, rather than reply at the
top of the messages.

<snipped bottomposted text>

Best,
 Kåre

--
Kåre Fiedler Christiansen
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

I got the mailbox name and I have the same issue. I checked the outlook configuration and it connects through a proxy at the same hostname than OWA. RIngs any bell?

 


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with Exchange MAPI

Kåre Fiedler Christiansen-4
On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 20:09, Pablo Saavedra
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 13 October 2010 14:19, Kåre Fiedler Christiansen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

<snip>

> I got the mailbox name and I have the same issue. I checked the outlook
> configuration and it connects through a proxy at the same hostname than OWA.
> RIngs any bell?

Ah. I think I have seen people reporting on this list that connecting
through proxies is not yet supported. Could someone else confirm this?

Best,
  Kåre
--
Kåre Fiedler Christiansen
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with Exchange MAPI

Patryk Benderz
In reply to this post by pablo.a.saavedra@gmail.com
[cut]
> I got the mailbox name and I have the same issue. I checked the
> outlook configuration and it connects through a proxy at the same
> hostname than OWA. RIngs any bell?
Most likely you are using RPC over HTTP which is not supported yet
AFAIK.

--
Patryk "LeadMan" Benderz
Linux Registered User #377521
()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org   - against proprietary attachments

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with Exchange MAPI

pablo.a.saavedra@gmail.com
In reply to this post by Kåre Fiedler Christiansen-4
On 13 October 2010 15:24, Kåre Fiedler Christiansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 20:09, Pablo Saavedra
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 13 October 2010 14:19, Kåre Fiedler Christiansen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

<snip>

> I got the mailbox name and I have the same issue. I checked the outlook
> configuration and it connects through a proxy at the same hostname than OWA.
> RIngs any bell?

Ah. I think I have seen people reporting on this list that connecting
through proxies is not yet supported. Could someone else confirm this?

Best,
 Kåre
--
Kåre Fiedler Christiansen


Anyone has any input on this?

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with Exchange MAPI

Pete Biggs

>        
>        
>         Ah. I think I have seen people reporting on this list that
>         connecting
>         through proxies is not yet supported. Could someone else
>         confirm this?


> Anyone has any input on this?

Definitely doesn't work through Exchange proxies.  I suggest you use
DavMail instead as an intermediary.

P.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with Exchange MAPI

pablo.a.saavedra@gmail.com


On 15 October 2010 05:07, Pete Biggs <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>         Ah. I think I have seen people reporting on this list that
>         connecting
>         through proxies is not yet supported. Could someone else
>         confirm this?


> Anyone has any input on this?

Definitely doesn't work through Exchange proxies.  I suggest you use
DavMail instead as an intermediary.

P.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

Thanks, that's what I'm doing. Do you know if there's any plan to support it in the future?

Regards.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list