Problems with auto-pruning

Dave Thacker-3
Evolution 2.2.1   SuSe 9.3
Desired State:
All emails in mailbox "bb" (Big Brother Alarms") should be automatically deleted 5 days after I've received them.  They are stale and have no lasting value.

What I've done:
Created a filter "If date received is before 5 days ago" then "delete" on "incoming"

What's happening:
Messages are never deleted.

Is there a way to debug the operation of a filter to see what is going wrong?  Should it be set to "outgoing" instead of incoming?  Is there a setting that says "run when mail client is closed" or something like that?

TIA
Dave Thacker

Re: Problems with auto-pruning

Jeffrey Stedfast

[hidden email] wrote:

>Evolution 2.2.1   SuSe 9.3
>Desired State:
>All emails in mailbox "bb" (Big Brother Alarms") should be automatically deleted 5 days after I've received them.  They are stale and have no lasting value.
>
>What I've done:
>Created a filter "If date received is before 5 days ago" then "delete" on "incoming"
>
>What's happening:
>Messages are never deleted.

that's because the messages aren't incoming (nor are they outgoing).
They're pre-filed messages. If you want to filter them, open the folder,
do Select All, and then select Apply Filters. That will filter them.

Jeff

Re: Problems with auto-pruning

Not Zed

you have to apply the filter to the messages.

filters are only, necessarily, only ever applied to new messages, or
messages you explicitly apply them to.

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 11:48 -0400, [hidden email] wrote:

> Evolution 2.2.1   SuSe 9.3
> Desired State:
> All emails in mailbox "bb" (Big Brother Alarms") should be automatically deleted 5 days after I've received them.  They are stale and have no lasting value.
>
> What I've done:
> Created a filter "If date received is before 5 days ago" then "delete" on "incoming"
>
> What's happening:
> Messages are never deleted.
>
> Is there a way to debug the operation of a filter to see what is going wrong?  Should it be set to "outgoing" instead of incoming?  Is there a setting that says "run when mail client is closed" or something like that?
>
> TIA
> Dave Thacker

adfa(evolution-2.4:20087): gtkhtml-WARNING **: cannot find icon:
'stock_insert-url' in gnome

On Tuesday 30 August 2005 11:01, you wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
> >Evolution 2.2.1   SuSe 9.3
> >Desired State:
> >All emails in mailbox "bb" (Big Brother Alarms") should be automatically
> > deleted 5 days after I've received them.  They are stale and have no
> > lasting value.
> >
> >What I've done:
> >Created a filter "If date received is before 5 days ago" then "delete" on
> > "incoming"
> >
> >What's happening:
> >Messages are never deleted.
>
> that's because the messages aren't incoming (nor are they outgoing).
> They're pre-filed messages. If you want to filter them, open the folder,
> do Select All, and then select Apply Filters. That will filter them.
>
> Jeff

That's unfortunate.  Is there a way to apply filters on exit?  I haven't seen
one in my exploration of the controls..

Dave Thacker