Publish calendar information

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Hi all,

I am trying to publish my calendar info to icalx.com, which basically should allow you to choose the "Publish on a web server" option using the URL http://icalx.com/public/myname/

Unfortunately, no luck so far. When I choose "Custom Location" (under Preferences, Calendar and Tasks, Publishin Information) and fill in icalx.com I get the error "Could not open icalx.com: operation not supported", and when I choose WebDAV (HTTP) (which seems to fit the bill, given all the fields that can be completed) the result is a location that looks like dav://[hidden email]/public/myname, which leads to a similar error message: "the location is not supported". Perhaps not surprising given the strange dav: prefix.

So the question is: has anyone ever been successful in publishing a calendar on icalx.com or any similar site? And what protocol was used?

Thanks in advance for any pointers,
Ron

Re: Publish calendar information

On Thu, 2020-07-09 at 15:51 +0200, Ron via evolution-list wrote:
> "Could not open icalx.com: operation not supported"

        Hi,
I do not have answers for your questions, I'm sorry, I only have a note
about the error message.

The "Operation not supported" usually comes from gvfs (glib/gio),
meaning that there is nothing to serve the chosen protocol (to mount
the destination with that protocol). Maybe check whether there are any
sub-packages for the gvfs with needed protocol, in case your
distribution splits them from the main package.

Note the destination is mounted in read/write mode, which the http://
(usually) doesn't allow (I do not count file uploads in forms).

Re: Publish calendar information

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Hi Milan,

thanks for following up on this. I checked for subpackages for gvfs and installed gvfs-backends, but that did not change things.

Let me rephrase my original question: has anyone ever been able to publish a calendar to icalx.com?

Note that with thunderbird it was working ot of the box... (but thunderbirds office365 support is so poor it is useless for my work)

Thanks for any pointers,
Ron

On Fri, 2020-07-17 at 10:17 +0200, Ron wrote:
> Note that with thunderbird it was working ot of the box...

        Hi,
I'm wondering how they send it there. I checked the icalx.com and the
only thing the author mentions there is something about "To publish a
new calendar from iCal, select the "Publish on a Web server" option,
and use one of the URLs: ...", which is not much from the technical
point of view. I tried curl command [1], but it didn't make it, from
which I guess they want some "special" format of the request.

> (but thunderbirds office365 support is so poor it is useless for my
> work)

Eh, that's another can of worms [2].

[1] curl -v -k http://icalx.com/private/USER/ -X POST -d @/tmp/test_event.ics --header "Content-Type: text/calendar; charset=utf-8" --user USER:PASSWORD
[2] https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-teams/blogs/upcoming-changes-to-exchange-web-services-ews-api-for-office-365/
    Frankly, the Graph API (the suggested "replacement" for the EWS) is
    currently more limiting than useful, which is a shame.