Quick search and threads

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Hello!

I am using the Message-ID header of e-mails to reference them in
appointments.

To quickly find the email, I use a free form expresssion in the quick
search bar: h:Message-ID=...

However, this will only return exactly that one email. Is there a way
to get the whole mail thread back without going through the whole

Peter

--
Peter Krauß <[hidden email]>

Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)
Steinbuch Centre for Computing (SCC)

Forschungsgruppe Cloud Computing
Hermann-von-Helmholtz-Platz 1
Gebäude 449/R105
76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen

Telefon: +49(0)721/608-26578
E-Mail: [hidden email]
Web: http://www.kit.edu/

KIT - Universität des Landes Baden-Württemberg und nationales
Forschungszentrum in der Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft

Re: Quick search and threads

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Mon, 2020-06-15 at 12:32 +0200, Krauß, Peter (SCC) via evolution-
list wrote:
> However, this will only return exactly that one email. Is there a way
> to get the whole mail thread back without going through the whole

I'd suggest to save the search and then access it through the Search
menu, but that doesn't allow setting "parameters", thus it's similarly
useless for your needs. What about adding also "In-Reply-To" and
"References" headers to include the given message ID? It won't show the
referenced, but it's still better than nothing, is it not?

Alternative, if you've root rights, edit:

   /usr/share/evolution/searchtypes.xml

and search for these lines in it:

    <rule source="demand" grouping="any">
      <title>Free form expression</title>

and change the first line to:

    <rule source="demand" grouping="any" threading="all">
      <title>Free form expression</title>

Only note that the threading option requires significantly more
resources, thus it can take much longer to produce the results, with
higher CPU usage.