Quoted text in HTML mails from Evolution displayed without "blue bar" in Outlook

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Quoted text in HTML mails from Evolution displayed without "blue bar" in Outlook

Martin Dietze
Like probably many others I use Evolution in a vastly
Outlook-dominated environment.

Sometimes (shame on me) I reply to HTML mails in HTML (e.g. when I
don't want to add confusion by removing inline images etc.). I however
don't top-post, i.e. put my replies under quotes.

Lately colleagues have started complaining because they cannot
distinguish between quoted text and my replies. After checking I found
out that quoited text from Evolution is displayed in Outlook simply as
indented text, and this is indeed very confusing. Why does the blue
bar on the left does not display in Outlook as in the editor when
composing my reply?

As this is now, the feature is pretty unusable, because I need to pimp
quoted text using some formatting (underline, italic etc.) to make it
distinguishable from my reply.

I could not find any setting that would allow me to change this
behaviour. I am using Evolution 3.20.

Bug or feature?

(and, no, I cannot really tell about 100 colleagues to set up Outlook
in some particular way or tell Microsoft to fix their crappy software)

--
Dr. Martin Dietze
1. Vorsitzender
Deutsch-Ukrainischer Kulturverein e.V.
http://www.deutsch-ukrainischer-kulturverein.de/
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quoted text in HTML mails from Evolution displayed without "blue bar" in Outlook

Youssef Mahmoud
I confirmed that this happens with Evolution 3.22.6 and Outlook 2016.
The culprit appears to be the tag Evolution uses to quote the original
message:

<blockquote type="cite">[original message]</blockquote>

I did a quick search for the type="cite" attribute and found very
little about it other than it doesn't seem to be part of any standard
that Outlook should be expected to adhere to. It was/is used by
Thunderbird and has caused similar problems to the one you're
experiencing (see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=183219).

Does anyone know more about this type="cite" attribute and why
Evolution uses it for quotes?

On Wed, 2017-05-10 at 11:05 +0200, Martin Dietze wrote:

> Like probably many others I use Evolution in a vastly
> Outlook-dominated environment.
>
> Sometimes (shame on me) I reply to HTML mails in HTML (e.g. when I
> don't want to add confusion by removing inline images etc.). I
> however
> don't top-post, i.e. put my replies under quotes.
>
> Lately colleagues have started complaining because they cannot
> distinguish between quoted text and my replies. After checking I
> found
> out that quoited text from Evolution is displayed in Outlook simply
> as
> indented text, and this is indeed very confusing. Why does the blue
> bar on the left does not display in Outlook as in the editor when
> composing my reply?
>
> As this is now, the feature is pretty unusable, because I need to
> pimp
> quoted text using some formatting (underline, italic etc.) to make it
> distinguishable from my reply.
>
> I could not find any setting that would allow me to change this
> behaviour. I am using Evolution 3.20.
>
> Bug or feature?
>
> (and, no, I cannot really tell about 100 colleagues to set up Outlook
> in some particular way or tell Microsoft to fix their crappy
> software)
>
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

signature.asc (465 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quoted text in HTML mails from Evolution displayed without "blue bar" in Outlook

Milan Crha
On Wed, 2017-05-10 at 10:01 -0400, Youssef Mahmoud wrote:
> Does anyone know more about this type="cite" attribute and why
> Evolution uses it for quotes?

        Hi,
I do not have an answer for the above question unfortunately [*], I'm
sorry, but out of interest, what does Outlook 2016 use to mark
quotations in HTML message, please? Maybe they style it with some CSS?
        Thanks and bye,
        Milan

[*] personally, I thought it's a standard way, but as you speak about
it I also cannot find any online reference for it on places where I
would expect it to be.
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quoted text in HTML mails from Evolution displayed without "blue bar" in Outlook

Martin Dietze
On 10 May 2017 at 17:20, Milan Crha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I do not have an answer for the above question unfortunately [*], I'm
> sorry, but out of interest, what does Outlook 2016 use to mark
> quotations in HTML message, please? Maybe they style it with some CSS?

I checked. You'll probably like the result as little as I do. It's:

  <div style="border:none;border-left: solid blue 1.5pt; padding:0cm
0cm 0cm 4.0pt">.... </div>

As I understand from what I have read so far Outlook's parsing of HTML
messages has pretty screwed-up recently after they introduced a new
HTML engine.
Hence after that update was rolled out here at work people started
getting problems with inline replies because they were no longer
distinguishable from quoted text.
Since nobody knows whether at all or if yes when MS are going to fix
this, a workaround on Evolution's side would be extremely helpful
here.

Cheers,

Martin


Cheers,

Martin


--
Dr. Martin Dietze
1. Vorsitzender
Deutsch-Ukrainischer Kulturverein e.V.
http://www.deutsch-ukrainischer-kulturverein.de/
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quoted text in HTML mails from Evolution displayed without "blue bar" in Outlook

Milan Crha
On Wed, 2017-05-10 at 17:57 +0200, Martin Dietze wrote:
>   <div style="border:none;border-left: solid blue 1.5pt; padding:0cm
> 0cm 0cm 4.0pt">.... </div>

        Hi,
thanks for it. I just noticed that GMail uses:

   <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;
   border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

while that class "gmail_quote" is not defined in the message body, thus
it can be for their web UI or anything like that.

Saying that, a bug against evolution composer in GNOME bugzilla would
be appreciated and I believe evolution should "style" the 'blockquote'
element as well, maybe in addition to 'type="cite"' attribute
(Evolution currently colorizes blockquotes based on the deep level,
which might be an issue, but maybe not). I'm not that familiar with
these things, thus I'll wait for Tomas for his opinion. Having the bug
filled meanwhile would be great.

That will be a solution on the Evolution side, not a workaround, from
my point of view.

        Thanks and bye,
        Milan
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quoted text in HTML mails from Evolution displayed without "blue bar" in Outlook

Martin Dietze
On 10 May 2017 at 19:05, Milan Crha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm not that familiar with
> these things, thus I'll wait for Tomas for his opinion. Having the bug
> filled meanwhile would be great.

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=782470

--
Dr. Martin Dietze
1. Vorsitzender
Deutsch-Ukrainischer Kulturverein e.V.
http://www.deutsch-ukrainischer-kulturverein.de/
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list