REQ: better "Message location" condition in serach folders

REQ: better "Message location" condition in serach folders

Volker Wysk
Hi!

I'm trying to build a search folder which will find my personal mail
(no mailing lists) and only my personal mail. I've figured out that it
could be done using a condition on the "message location". I have all
my mailing list folders in a common superfolder, so I would need a
condition "message location is no subfolder of ...".

Therefore I'd like to request a feature: Make the "message location"
condition more flexible, such that not only folders, but also folder
hirarchies can be tested.

I've tried to post this REQ in the evolution bug tracker, but Gnome
Gitlab says:

  Please note that due to spam, new user registrations are disabled.
  Please use 3rd party logins for logging in if you don't have an
  existing account.

No luck with Github either.

Cheers,
Volker

Re: REQ: better "Message location" condition in serach folders

Volker Wysk
Am Samstag, den 04.07.2020, 18:06 +0200 schrieb Volker Wysk:

> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to build a search folder which will find my personal mail
> (no mailing lists) and only my personal mail. I've figured out that
> it
> could be done using a condition on the "message location". I have all
> my mailing list folders in a common superfolder, so I would need a
> condition "message location is no subfolder of ...".
>
> Therefore I'd like to request a feature: Make the "message location"
> condition more flexible, such that not only folders, but also folder
> hirarchies can be tested.
>
> I've tried to post this REQ in the evolution bug tracker, but Gnome
> Gitlab says:
>
>   Please note that due to spam, new user registrations are disabled.
>   Please use 3rd party logins for logging in if you don't have an
>   existing account.
>
> No luck with Github either.

P.S.:

I've tried with Evolution versions 3.36.2 and 3.36.3.

Bye

On Sat, 2020-07-04 at 18:06 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> I'm trying to build a search folder which will find my personal mail
> (no mailing lists) and only my personal mail. I've figured out that it
> could be done using a condition on the "message location". I have all
> my mailing list folders in a common superfolder, so I would need a
> condition "message location is no subfolder of ...".
>
> Therefore I'd like to request a feature: Make the "message location"
> condition more flexible, such that not only folders, but also folder
> hirarchies can be tested.

I'd propose to either use the "Mailing List" filter condition instead
(though I have no idea if it accepts wildcards), or to use the
"Specific Header ... exists" condition. For common list headers, see
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/blob/master/src/camel/camel-mime-utils.c#L4671

> I've tried to post this REQ in the evolution bug tracker, but Gnome
> Gitlab says:
>
>   Please note that due to spam, new user registrations are disabled.
>   Please use 3rd party logins for logging in if you don't have an
>   existing account.
>
> No luck with Github either.

We don't use Github. If you use Github then you can use the Github 3rd
party login to create an account in https://gitlab.gnome.org .

Am Samstag, den 04.07.2020, 18:43 +0200 schrieb Andre Klapper:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 2020-07-04 at 18:06 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > I'm trying to build a search folder which will find my personal
> > mail
> > (no mailing lists) and only my personal mail. I've figured out that
> > it
> > could be done using a condition on the "message location". I have
> > all
> > my mailing list folders in a common superfolder, so I would need a
> > condition "message location is no subfolder of ...".
> >
> > Therefore I'd like to request a feature: Make the "message
> > location"
> > condition more flexible, such that not only folders, but also
> > folder
> > hirarchies can be tested.
>
> I'd propose to either use the "Mailing List" filter condition instead
> (though I have no idea if it accepts wildcards), or to use the
> "Specific Header ... exists" condition. For common list headers, see
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/blob/master/src/camel/camel-mime-utils.c#L4671

This won't work. The messages which I sent to some mailing list, are
stored in the Sent folder. They don't get any Mailing-List header. Only
when I receive it back, it has a "List-Id" or similar header and is
stored in the respective mailing list folder.

Bye

Am Sonntag, den 05.07.2020, 01:59 +0200 schrieb Volker Wysk:

> Am Samstag, den 04.07.2020, 18:43 +0200 schrieb Andre Klapper:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sat, 2020-07-04 at 18:06 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > > I'm trying to build a search folder which will find my personal
> > > mail
> > > (no mailing lists) and only my personal mail. I've figured out
> > > that
> > > it
> > > could be done using a condition on the "message location". I have
> > > all
> > > my mailing list folders in a common superfolder, so I would need
> > > condition "message location is no subfolder of ...".
> > >
> > > Therefore I'd like to request a feature: Make the "message
> > > location"
> > > condition more flexible, such that not only folders, but also
> > > folder
> > > hirarchies can be tested.
> >
> > I'd propose to either use the "Mailing List" filter condition
> > instead
> > (though I have no idea if it accepts wildcards), or to use the
> > "Specific Header ... exists" condition. For common list headers,
> > see
> > https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/blob/master/src/camel/camel-mime-utils.c#L4671
>
> This won't work. The messages which I sent to some mailing list, are
> stored in the Sent folder. They don't get any Mailing-List header.
> Only
> when I receive it back, it has a "List-Id" or similar header and is
> stored in the respective mailing list folder.

On second thought, I've made a mistake in my feature request. You can't
use the "message location" condition, because the mails in question are
stored in "Sent", not in a mailing list folder.

In order for this to work, the "To"-address needs to be regarded. Some
"Sent to mailing list" condition would be needed (with ".*" or such for
ANY list). This might be possible, since Evolution *does* have a notion
of mailing lists and mailing list addresses. In the "Message" menu,
there is an item "mailing list", which appears to be connected with
mailing list folders.

So here is my revised feature request: Add a "Sent to mailing list"
condition in the search folder configuration. It should be complied,
when the message is sent to the specified mailing list, or to any
mailing list (specified by empty specification, or ".*" as a regexp).

Bye
Volker

Re: REQ: better "Message location" condition in serach folders

Andre Klapper
On Sun, 2020-07-05 at 02:25 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> In order for this to work, the "To"-address needs to be regarded. Some
> "Sent to mailing list" condition would be needed (with ".*" or such for
> ANY list). This might be possible, since Evolution *does* have a notion
> of mailing lists and mailing list addresses. In the "Message" menu,
> there is an item "mailing list", which appears to be connected with
> mailing list folders.

Please explain how you manage to technically identify that a random
recipient email address is some "mailing list".

> So here is my revised feature request: Add a "Sent to mailing list"
> condition in the search folder configuration. It should be complied,
> when the message is sent to the specified mailing list, or to any
> mailing list (specified by empty specification, or ".*" as a regexp).

Please file feature requests in https://gitlab.gnome.org and describe
actual problems to solve (instead of assumed solutions).

Re: REQ: better "Message location" condition in serach folders

On Sun, 2020-07-05 at 02:25 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> In order for this to work, the "To"-address needs to be regarded. Some
>
> "Sent to mailing list" condition would be needed (with ".*" or such for
>
> ANY list). This might be possible, since Evolution *does* have a notion
>
> of mailing lists and mailing list addresses.

AFAIK this only happens when Evo sees a message with the List-* headers
which many (but not all) lists add to distributed messages. These
headers will not be there on new messages you send to a list (i.e. on
your copy of the sent message), only to correctly-formatted replies
(meaning those which were sent using Reply-To-List and not for example
Reply-To-All).

> In the "Message" menu,
>
> there is an item "mailing list", which appears to be connected with
>
> mailing list folders.

It has nothing to do with mailing list folders. Although many people
filter mailing list messages into folders for convenience, Evo doesn't
treat these folders as in any way special (though I've often thought
that would be a nice feature to have). That menu item is enabled when you're looking at a message with the List-* headers, that's all.

Am Sonntag, den 05.07.2020, 20:41 +0200 schrieb Andre Klapper:

> On Sun, 2020-07-05 at 02:25 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > In order for this to work, the "To"-address needs to be regarded.
> > Some
> > "Sent to mailing list" condition would be needed (with ".*" or such
> > for
> > ANY list). This might be possible, since Evolution *does* have a
> > notion
> > of mailing lists and mailing list addresses. In the "Message" menu,
> > there is an item "mailing list", which appears to be connected with
> > mailing list folders.
>
> Please explain how you manage to technically identify that a random
> recipient email address is some "mailing list".

It's just what you have quoted: "Evolution *does* have a notion
of mailing lists and mailing list addresses. In the "Message" menu,
there is an item "mailing list", which appears to be connected with
mailing list folders." Evolution already does know which address
belongs to which mailing list.

> > So here is my revised feature request: Add a "Sent to mailing list"
> > condition in the search folder configuration. It should be
> > complied,
> > when the message is sent to the specified mailing list, or to any
> > mailing list (specified by empty specification, or ".*" as a
> > regexp).
>
> Please file feature requests in https://gitlab.gnome.org and describe
> actual problems to solve (instead of assumed solutions).

I'm repeating myself again:

"I've tried to post this REQ in the evolution bug tracker, but Gnome
Gitlab says:

  Please note that due to spam, new user registrations are disabled.
  Please use 3rd party logins for logging in if you don't have an
  existing account."

I've also described the actual problem to solve.

Am Sonntag, den 05.07.2020, 22:38 +0100 schrieb Patrick O'Callaghan:

> On Sun, 2020-07-05 at 02:25 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > In order for this to work, the "To"-address needs to be regarded.
> > Some
> >
> > "Sent to mailing list" condition would be needed (with ".*" or such
> > for
> >
> > ANY list). This might be possible, since Evolution *does* have a
> > notion
> >
> > of mailing lists and mailing list addresses.
>
> AFAIK this only happens when Evo sees a message with the List-*
> headers
> which many (but not all) lists add to distributed messages. These
> headers will not be there on new messages you send to a list (i.e. on
> your copy of the sent message), only to correctly-formatted replies
> (meaning those which were sent using Reply-To-List and not for
> example
> Reply-To-All).

Yes, that's the problem here.

> > In the "Message" menu,
> >
> > there is an item "mailing list", which appears to be connected with
> >
> > mailing list folders.
>
> It has nothing to do with mailing list folders. Although many people
> filter mailing list messages into folders for convenience, Evo
> doesn't
> treat these folders as in any way special (though I've often thought
> that would be a nice feature to have). That menu item is enabled when
> you're looking at a message with the List-* headers, that's all.

I see. So, evo would need to keep a register of the mailing list names
(List-to or similar header) and the corresponding email addresses, for
all messages it sees. Of course I'm not requesting this.

Goodbye,
Volker

Re: REQ: better "Message location" condition in serach folders

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Mon, 2020-07-06 at 02:55 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:

> Am Sonntag, den 05.07.2020, 22:38 +0100 schrieb Patrick O'Callaghan:
> > On Sun, 2020-07-05 at 02:25 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > > In order for this to work, the "To"-address needs to be regarded.
> > > Some
> > >
> > > "Sent to mailing list" condition would be needed (with ".*" or such
> > > for
> > >
> > > ANY list). This might be possible, since Evolution *does* have a
> > > notion
> > >
> > > of mailing lists and mailing list addresses.
> >
> > AFAIK this only happens when Evo sees a message with the List-*
> > headers
> > which many (but not all) lists add to distributed messages. These
> > headers will not be there on new messages you send to a list (i.e. on
> > your copy of the sent message), only to correctly-formatted replies
> > (meaning those which were sent using Reply-To-List and not for
> > example
> > Reply-To-All).

Ironically, your reply illustrates my point perfectly. It doesn't
contain any of the List-* headers, presumably because you used Reply-
To-All instead of Reply-To-List. That's exactly the problem. There's
nothing in the message itself to indicate that it has anything to do
with a mailing list. Note that this also means that I also have to use
Reply-To-All to answer you, and so does anyone else downstream of your
message. The same thing happened with my previous reply of course.

> Yes, that's the problem here.
>
> > > In the "Message" menu,
> > >
> > > there is an item "mailing list", which appears to be connected with
> > >
> > > mailing list folders.
> >
> > It has nothing to do with mailing list folders. Although many people
> > filter mailing list messages into folders for convenience, Evo
> > doesn't
> > treat these folders as in any way special (though I've often thought
> > that would be a nice feature to have). That menu item is enabled when
> > you're looking at a message with the List-* headers, that's all.
>
> I see. So, evo would need to keep a register of the mailing list names
> (List-to or similar header) and the corresponding email addresses, for
> all messages it sees. Of course I'm not requesting this.

It would require a fair amount of modification to do this. I'm
imagining some kind of "This is a mailing list" feature which could
possibly incorporate automatic filtering into folders plus enabling the
posting and reply functions. However it's not clear how this could be
implemented across all types of mail account, e.g. POP accounts don't
even have the notion of a folder - everything goes to the Inbox. It
looks like a can of worms and I wouldn't like to propose it without a
clearer idea of how it could work.

On Mon, 2020-07-06 at 02:38 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> It's just what you have quoted: "Evolution *does* have a notion
> of mailing lists and mailing list addresses. In the "Message" menu,
> there is an item "mailing list", which appears to be connected with
> mailing list folders." Evolution already does know which address
> belongs to which mailing list.

That's for messages received from mailing lists, as mailing lists
include specific message headers. It is not about messages sent to
random email addresses which maybe are mailing lists or maybe not.

> > Please file feature requests in https://gitlab.gnome.org and describe
> > actual problems to solve (instead of assumed solutions).
>
> I'm repeating myself again:
>
> "I've tried to post this REQ in the evolution bug tracker, but Gnome
> Gitlab says:
>
>   Please note that due to spam, new user registrations are disabled.
>   Please use 3rd party logins for logging in if you don't have an
>   existing account."

I'm also repeating myself again: I have no idea what blocks you from
creating an account, as you still have not explained what specifically
blocks you from creating an account. Are you unable to create a Github,
Google, or GitLab.com account? Are you unwilling? Something else?

Am Montag, den 06.07.2020, 10:50 +0100 schrieb Patrick O'Callaghan:

> On Mon, 2020-07-06 at 02:55 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, den 05.07.2020, 22:38 +0100 schrieb Patrick
> > O'Callaghan:

> > > AFAIK this only happens when Evo sees a message with the List-*
> > > headers
> > > which many (but not all) lists add to distributed messages. These
> > > headers will not be there on new messages you send to a list
> > > (i.e. on
> > > your copy of the sent message), only to correctly-formatted
> > > replies
> > > (meaning those which were sent using Reply-To-List and not for
> > > example
> > > Reply-To-All).
>
> Ironically, your reply illustrates my point perfectly. It doesn't
> contain any of the List-* headers, presumably because you used Reply-
> To-All instead of Reply-To-List.

I don't even have a "reply to all" button in the toolbar in my
evolution version 3.36.3. It only lurks in the "message" menu. I've
never used it. I've used the "reply to list" button.

> That's exactly the problem. There's
> nothing in the message itself to indicate that it has anything to do
> with a mailing list.

Yes, that's right. That's what I found, after posting my original
message. I've made a mistake, and said so. Remember?

> Note that this also means that I also have to use
> Reply-To-All to answer you, and so does anyone else downstream of
> your
> message. The same thing happened with my previous reply of course.

I'm sorry if I've caused confusion.

> > Yes, that's the problem here.

> > > It has nothing to do with mailing list folders. Although many
> > > people
> > > filter mailing list messages into folders for convenience, Evo
> > > doesn't
> > > treat these folders as in any way special (though I've often
> > > thought
> > > that would be a nice feature to have). That menu item is enabled
> > > when
> > > you're looking at a message with the List-* headers, that's all.
> >
> > I see. So, evo would need to keep a register of the mailing list
> > names
> > (List-to or similar header) and the corresponding email addresses,
> > for
> > all messages it sees. Of course I'm not requesting this.
>
> It would require a fair amount of modification to do this. I'm
> imagining some kind of "This is a mailing list" feature which could
> possibly incorporate automatic filtering into folders plus enabling
> the
> posting and reply functions. However it's not clear how this could be
> implemented across all types of mail account, e.g. POP accounts don't
> even have the notion of a folder - everything goes to the Inbox. It
> looks like a can of worms and I wouldn't like to propose it without a
> clearer idea of how it could work.

So wouldn't I. I've said so. It was just a little speculation.

Regards,

Am Montag, den 06.07.2020, 12:26 +0200 schrieb Andre Klapper:

> On Mon, 2020-07-06 at 02:38 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > It's just what you have quoted: "Evolution *does* have a notion
> > of mailing lists and mailing list addresses. In the "Message" menu,
> > there is an item "mailing list", which appears to be connected with
> > mailing list folders." Evolution already does know which address
> > belongs to which mailing list.
>
> That's for messages received from mailing lists, as mailing lists
> include specific message headers. It is not about messages sent to
> random email addresses which maybe are mailing lists or maybe not.

Yes, I was mistaken. This "mailing list" item in the "messages" menu is
connected with specific messages, rather than the folder in which they
reside.

> > > Please file feature requests in https://gitlab.gnome.org and
> > > describe
> > > actual problems to solve (instead of assumed solutions).
> >
> > I'm repeating myself again:
> >
> > "I've tried to post this REQ in the evolution bug tracker, but
> > Gnome
> > Gitlab says:
> >
> >   Please note that due to spam, new user registrations are
> > disabled.
> >   Please use 3rd party logins for logging in if you don't have an
> >   existing account."
>
> I'm also repeating myself again: I have no idea what blocks you from
> creating an account, as you still have not explained what
> specifically
> blocks you from creating an account. Are you unable to create a
> Github,
> Google, or GitLab.com account? Are you unwilling? Something else?

It has been seen, after I wrote the original mail, that it wouldn't
work the way I thought. I've made a mistake. I don't have that feature
request any longer. In case I need it some time, I'll create an
account.

On Mon, 2020-07-06 at 14:56 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:

> > Ironically, your reply illustrates my point perfectly. It doesn't
> > contain any of the List-* headers, presumably because you used Reply-
> > To-All instead of Reply-To-List.
>

> I don't even have a "reply to all" button in the toolbar in my
>
> evolution version 3.36.3. It only lurks in the "message" menu. I've
>
> never used it. I've used the "reply to list" button.

If you had used Reply To List, the reply would have contained List-*
headers, which it didn't. I assume you clicked Group Reply, which
(IIRC) uses Reply To List when it can, i.e. when the message being
replied to has the headers, and Reply To All otherwise.

Am Montag, den 06.07.2020, 15:19 +0100 schrieb Patrick O'Callaghan:

> On Mon, 2020-07-06 at 14:56 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > > Ironically, your reply illustrates my point perfectly. It doesn't
> > > contain any of the List-* headers, presumably because you used
> > > Reply-
> > > To-All instead of Reply-To-List.
> >
> > I don't even have a "reply to all" button in the toolbar in my
> > evolution version 3.36.3. It only lurks in the "message" menu. I've
> > never used it. I've used the "reply to list" button.
>
> If you had used Reply To List, the reply would have contained List-*
> headers, which it didn't. I assume you clicked Group Reply, which
> (IIRC) uses Reply To List when it can, i.e. when the message being
> replied to has the headers, and Reply To All otherwise.

What I've used is "Antwort an Gruppe", literally "reply to group". I
though this was a translation imprecision and meant "reply to list".

From what you've said, I now think it is okay to do "reply to group",
since it replies to the list if possible.

On Mon, 2020-07-06 at 16:34 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:

> > > I don't even have a "reply to all" button in the toolbar in my
> > > evolution version 3.36.3. It only lurks in the "message" menu. I've
> > > never used it. I've used the "reply to list" button.
> >
> > If you had used Reply To List, the reply would have contained List-*
> > headers, which it didn't. I assume you clicked Group Reply, which
> > (IIRC) uses Reply To List when it can, i.e. when the message being
> > replied to has the headers, and Reply To All otherwise.
>
> What I've used is "Antwort an Gruppe", literally "reply to group". I
> though this was a translation imprecision and meant "reply to list".
>
> From what you've said, I now think it is okay to do "reply to group",
> since it replies to the list if possible.

That's the idea. If you look at the drop-down menu you'll see that the
Reply To List option is disabled when it can't be used.