Re: Localization of IMAP folders

Markus Loechner
Hi Milan,

Thanks for your reply. I would personally expect Evolution to override
the displayed folder name in folder tree to the locale standard if it
has been assigned in the Defaults settings (via Edit > Preferences >
Mail Accounts > Edit > Defaults) of the mail account. Actually, this
behaviour also seems to be implemented in Evolution for the inbox
folder, and is implemented in this manner for any other mail client
I've so far seen.

And this makes sense from my point of view, since you can rename any
user-created folder on the server, but not the server-defined default
ones, that have to assure interoperability between different
interfaces. And regarding your question, yes, it may sound odd in that
case, but it would also lead to a unified displaying scheme between
different accounts, so not all bad. Can you follow me there?

Anyway, I think it would be great for (at least my) UX if one could set
the locally displayed name for those folders according to one's
preferences. Apart from that, I greatly like Evolution for its simple
and concise UI.

Best regards,
Markus

Re: Localization of IMAP folders

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Sun, 2020-10-11 at 16:41 +0200, Markus Loechner wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.

        Hi,
I'm not sure how you "replied" to the previous message, but it surely
broke threading. Reply To List (Ctrl+L) should do the right thing,
including quoting. Well, depending on your settings. It's just harder
to follow your references to the previous message when a) it's not
quoted in your reply; b) the reply doesn't stick with the previous
message in the thread). Having the subject similar to the previous one
is not enough.

> Actually, this behaviour also seems to be implemented in Evolution
> for the inbox folder, and is implemented in this manner for any other
> mail client I've so far seen.

The Inbox is kind of special, it's case insensitive, thus server can
have nay of "inbox", "INBOX', and a mix of those and all of the is the
same Inbox folder.

> And regarding your question, yes, it may sound odd in that
> case, but it would also lead to a unified displaying scheme between
> different accounts, so not all bad. Can you follow me there?

Yes, I understand it. Maybe if you can file a bug against Evolution [1],
something like "Mail: Localize all special folders in the folder tree",
then it can be looked on.

        Thanks and bye,
        Milan

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/new

Re: Localization of IMAP folders

On Sun, 2020-10-11 at 16:41 +0200, Markus Loechner wrote:
> Hi Milan,
[etc]

Please follow standard practice and reply using the threading
conventions. The easiest way is just to click on Reply, which will do
the right thing.

Re: Localization of IMAP folders

Ángel González
On 2020-10-11 at 16:41 +0200, Markus Loechner wrote:
> And this makes sense from my point of view, since you can rename any
> user-created folder on the server, but not the server-defined default
> ones, that have to assure interoperability between different
> interfaces.

It's actually up to the server to allow you to do that or not.

Re: Localization of IMAP folders

J.B. Nicholson
Ángel wrote:
> It's actually up to the server to allow you to do that or not.

Perhaps I'm missing some larger point, but wouldn't it be reasonable for IMAP clients
to treat the server-defined folder names as unique IDs where the client UI is free to
localize the presentation as needed for users?

For example, forget that "Inbox" is an English word. Instead, treat that string as a
unique identifier where mail goes by default (absent any rules/filters). Therefore
German user interfaces should be free to display an account's inbox labeled with the
German word for "Inbox" (I'm sorry I don't know what that is), no? And couldn't the
same apply for all of the other server-defined folders too?