Re: Regarding Evolution: Notmuch as indexer and search language

Re: Regarding Evolution: Notmuch as indexer and search language

Martin Monperrus
Hi all,

I'd like to use Notmuch as indexer in Evolution.

Are you aware of something new since the message from 2014 below?

Thanks!

--Martin

On Mon, 2014-03-17 at 22:06 +0530, Anup Kumar wrote:

Myself Anup from India. I am planning to apply for GSoC in gnome for
the project Evolution: Notmuch as indexer and search language.
After going through the wiki page and the description of the project
in fidencio's blog what I realized is that we need to increase the
efficiency of searching by developing the search algorithm.
        Hello,
you are right, the idea about Notmuch is to provide an email indexer for
the local-based mail providers [1], thus the actual folder searching
will be able to use the Notmuch "database" and speedup the actual
search.

That's basically the student's task.

I do not think it's necessary to go too much into the detail right now,
maybe just start with the maildir provider, which is used for On This
Computer messages. As you can see
at [1], it consists of three objects:
- CamelMaildirStore - it gives an information about folders in
  the store and manipulates with them on the folder structure level;
- CamelMaildirFolder - it represents a folder content, including messages;
- CamelMaildirSummary - it represents a summary of the folder, which
  basically provides enough information to be able to populate
  message list in evolution without opening any message. It is also
  used when the folder is searched.

By traversing the object hierarchy you may see what the parent objects
can do and so on. The above description of the Maildir objects is very
simplified, it can do more things than that.

I hope this is sufficient as a starter.

[1] https://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution-data-server/tree/camel/providers/local

Re: Regarding Evolution: Notmuch as indexer and search language

Andre Klapper
On Wed, 2019-04-10 at 14:59 +0200, Martin Monperrus wrote:
> I'd like to use Notmuch as indexer in Evolution.
>
> Are you aware of something new since the message from 2014 below?

No, but you are welcome to use random external tools to "index" data:
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/data-storage.html

Re: Regarding Evolution: Notmuch as indexer and search language

Martin Monperrus
Hi Andre,
No, but you are welcome to use random external tools to "index" data:
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/data-storage.html
Yes, this is what I'm doing already.

The next step is the integration in the GUI.

Ideally, the "search" box of Evolution would be able to query an arbitrary index with a command line tool returning a common output format (eg "notmuch search --format=json path:INBOX/**")

--Martin

On 4/10/19 5:41 PM, Andre Klapper wrote:
On Wed, 2019-04-10 at 14:59 +0200, Martin Monperrus wrote:
I'd like to use Notmuch as indexer in Evolution.

Are you aware of something new since the message from 2014 below?
No, but you are welcome to use random external tools to "index" data:
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/data-storage.html

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]