Reading email using search folders could be faster

Reading email using search folders could be faster

Robert Munteanu
Hi,

(Please CC me, not subscribed)

I'm using Evolution for quite some time with two accounts ( EWS, IMAP
) and a couple of search folders. One of them holds all the unread
email threads except a couple of folders. All the folders included in
there are set to have their emails downloaded for offline use.

Whenever I switch to a search folder and select an email ( which
should already be downloaded offline ) it lags for a couple of
seconds. In the status bar I see both 'Retrieving message XYZ...' and
'Refreshing folder Search Folders: Unread....'.

Until the folder refresh is done, the message is not displayed, even
though it's available offline. Accessing the same messages using the
'pyhsical' folder linked to the accout is very fast. So it looks to me
like reading emali through search folders is needlessly slow.

I would welcome any suggestions on how to make my workflow faster, and
I can file a bug report if needed.

Thanks,

Robert

--
http://robert.muntea.nu/

Re: Reading email using search folders could be faster

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Mon, 2018-06-04 at 11:41 +0300, Robert Munteanu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (Please CC me, not subscribed)
>
> I'm using Evolution for quite some time with two accounts ( EWS, IMAP
> ) and a couple of search folders. One of them holds all the unread
> email threads except a couple of folders. All the folders included in
> there are set to have their emails downloaded for offline use.
>
> Whenever I switch to a search folder and select an email ( which
> should already be downloaded offline ) it lags for a couple of
> seconds. In the status bar I see both 'Retrieving message XYZ...' and
> 'Refreshing folder Search Folders: Unread....'.
>
> Until the folder refresh is done, the message is not displayed, even
> though it's available offline. Accessing the same messages using the
> 'pyhsical' folder linked to the accout is very fast. So it looks to me
> like reading emali through search folders is needlessly slow.
>
> I would welcome any suggestions on how to make my workflow faster, and
> I can file a bug report if needed.

You don't say which version of Evolution you're using. See Help->About.

Re: Reading email using search folders could be faster

On Mon, 2018-06-04 at 11:41 +0300, Robert Munteanu wrote:

> (Please CC me, not subscribed)
>
> I'm using Evolution for quite some time with two accounts ( EWS, IMAP
> ) and a couple of search folders. One of them holds all the unread
> email threads except a couple of folders. All the folders included in
> there are set to have their emails downloaded for offline use.
>
> Whenever I switch to a search folder and select an email ( which
> should already be downloaded offline ) it lags for a couple of
> seconds. In the status bar I see both 'Retrieving message XYZ...' and
> 'Refreshing folder Search Folders: Unread....'.

What exactly makes you think it should already be downloaded offline?

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 11:59 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You don't say which version of Evolution you're using. See Help->About.

Sorry, forgot about that. It's 3.28.2 .

Robert

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 12:54 PM, Andre Klapper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2018-06-04 at 11:41 +0300, Robert Munteanu wrote:
>> (Please CC me, not subscribed)
>>
>> I'm using Evolution for quite some time with two accounts ( EWS, IMAP
>> ) and a couple of search folders. One of them holds all the unread
>> email threads except a couple of folders. All the folders included in
>> there are set to have their emails downloaded for offline use.
>>
>> Whenever I switch to a search folder and select an email ( which
>> should already be downloaded offline ) it lags for a couple of
>> seconds. In the status bar I see both 'Retrieving message XYZ...' and
>> 'Refreshing folder Search Folders: Unread....'.
>
> What exactly makes you think it should already be downloaded offline?

As I wrote above, all accounts are already set to download messages
offline. Additionally, if I open an old message that is already there,
it also waits to refresh the folder. Consider the following scenario:

1. Switch to virtual folder
2. Message is selected so it is downloaded ( waiting for the folder refresh )
3. Switch to the physical folder and access the message ( no delay )
4. Switch to the virtual folder again
5. Message is selected so it is downloaded (again, still waiting for
the folder refresh )

So no matter what am still waiting for the virtual folder to refresh
and for the message to be downloaded, even though the message should
be there. Whether the download is a no-op since it's already saved for
offline I don't know, it just appears in the status bar, apparently
queued after the folder refresh.

GIven that accessing the same message through a regular folder works
without any delays, I think the message is downloaded, just that
access through the virtual folder is delayed for some reason.

Thanks,

Robert

--
http://robert.muntea.nu/

Re: Reading email using search folders could be faster

On Mon, 2018-06-04 at 11:41 +0300, Robert Munteanu wrote:
> Until the folder refresh is done, the message is not displayed, even
> though it's available offline.

        Hi,
it does worth a bug report. Please, file it at [1]. I'm not sure
whether the current code can be easily changed, it's to be figured out,
but it'll be good to have it filled anyway.
        Thanks and bye,
        Milan

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/issues/new

On Tue, 2018-06-05 at 13:05 +0300, Robert Munteanu wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 12:54 PM, Andre Klapper <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2018-06-04 at 11:41 +0300, Robert Munteanu wrote:
> > > (Please CC me, not subscribed)
> > >
> > > I'm using Evolution for quite some time with two accounts ( EWS, IMAP
> > > ) and a couple of search folders. One of them holds all the unread
> > > email threads except a couple of folders. All the folders included in
> > > there are set to have their emails downloaded for offline use.
> > >
> > > Whenever I switch to a search folder and select an email ( which
> > > should already be downloaded offline ) it lags for a couple of
> > > seconds. In the status bar I see both 'Retrieving message XYZ...' and
> > > 'Refreshing folder Search Folders: Unread....'.
> >
> > What exactly makes you think it should already be downloaded offline?
>
> As I wrote above, all accounts are already set to download messages
> offline. Additionally, if I open an old message that is already there,
> it also waits to refresh the folder. Consider the following scenario:
>
> 1. Switch to virtual folder
> 2. Message is selected so it is downloaded ( waiting for the folder refresh )
> 3. Switch to the physical folder and access the message ( no delay )
> 4. Switch to the virtual folder again
> 5. Message is selected so it is downloaded (again, still waiting for
> the folder refresh )
>
> So no matter what am still waiting for the virtual folder to refresh
> and for the message to be downloaded, even though the message should
> be there. Whether the download is a no-op since it's already saved for
> offline I don't know, it just appears in the status bar, apparently
> queued after the folder refresh.
>
> GIven that accessing the same message through a regular folder works
> without any delays, I think the message is downloaded, just that
> access through the virtual folder is delayed for some reason.

If the virtual folder involves a search through a large mailbox, that
could account for it not being instantaneous. Just speculating.