Recovering after suspend and resume

Franco Broi
Hi

I'm running Evo 3.18.5.2 on Linux Mint 18.3.

I use suspend and resume a lot, several times a day. Whenever I leave
my computer for more than a few minutes I suspend it.

My internet link is via satellite, so high latency but works well
otherwise. The high latency does tend to make Evo slow to update and
does timeout quite often when receiving for sending emails but a retry
normally fixes it. See attached for the send error after resume, only
see it once.

I've used Evolution like forever and for the last 15 years on a
satellite link so I'm quite used to the occasional hiccup, so I'm not
complaining but...

Invariably when I resume, Evolution fails to reconnect to my 3 mail
boxes, 3 IMAP+ including Gmail. Most often it gets stuck showing the
spinner on one or more accounts so I do a --force-shutdown and restart,
after which it's ok.

I did think that maybe I should add suspend/resume hooks to exit and
restart Evo but I thought I would ask the list if anyone has any better
solutions?

My RSS feeds work fine and I suspect POP would be ok too, so I get the
feeling it's the open socket for IMAP+ that's causing the problem.

unknown-EKE7LZ (22K) Download Attachment

Re: Recovering after suspend and resume

Adam Tauno Williams
> I did think that maybe I should add suspend/resume hooks to exit and
> restart Evo but I thought I would ask the list if anyone has any
> better solutions?

Does it help if you work-offline before you suspend,  and when you
resume wait till you have an established connection before clicking
work-online?   Occasionally I have had to work from a remote island
with a very dodgy cell relay connection and doing that helped; as
sometimes I think "up" wasn't really "up" quite yet, and then you can
get a failed DNS lookup, and it all gets jinky from there.

On a reliable network I have no had suspend-resume issues except for
very infrequently when Evolution will appear to get stuck in Offline.
That issue could just as likely be elsewhere in the GNOME stack.
--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:[hidden email]> GPG D95ED383
OpenGroupware Developer <http://www.opengroupware.us/>

On Sun, 2018-07-08 at 20:52 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> > I did think that maybe I should add suspend/resume hooks to exit
> > and
> > restart Evo but I thought I would ask the list if anyone has any
> > better solutions?
> Does it help if you work-offline before you suspend,  and when you
> resume wait till you have an established connection before clicking
> work-online?   Occasionally I have had to work from a remote island
> with a very dodgy cell relay connection and doing that helped; as
> sometimes I think "up" wasn't really "up" quite yet, and then you can
> get a failed DNS lookup, and it all gets jinky from there.

I also work on a remote island with dodgy internet - Australia!!

Going offline before suspend and back online after resume definitely
works but is a little painful, not so bad for me but my wife uses a
laptop and she just closes the lid..

Is there any way to inject instructions to Evo from the command line?

Re: Recovering after suspend and resume

Pete Biggs

> I also work on a remote island with dodgy internet - Australia!!

Yeah, I'm on an island determined to make itself more and more remote

> Going offline before suspend and back online after resume definitely
> works but is a little painful, not so bad for me but my wife uses a
> laptop and she just closes the lid..

I've never had problems with resuming, except when I had a VPN turned
on when it went to sleep. It seems to just get very confused by the VPN
coming backup slowly (if at all).  Always the answer has been to just
force Evo off-line (by click the link icon in the bottom left corner),
then putting it back on-line.

Re: Recovering after suspend and resume

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Mon, 2018-07-09 at 08:21 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> > I also work on a remote island with dodgy internet - Australia!!
>
> Yeah, I'm on an island determined to make itself more and more remote

I'm on the neighbouring island ...

> > Going offline before suspend and back online after resume definitely
> > works but is a little painful, not so bad for me but my wife uses a
> > laptop and she just closes the lid..
>
> I've never had problems with resuming, except when I had a VPN turned
> on when it went to sleep. It seems to just get very confused by the VPN
> coming backup slowly (if at all).  Always the answer has been to just
> force Evo off-line (by click the link icon in the bottom left corner),
> then putting it back on-line.

I haven't had problems turning VPN on and off, but that would be my
recommendation.

On Mon, 2018-07-09 at 09:35 +0800, Franco Broi wrote:
> Is there any way to inject instructions to Evo from the command line?

        Hi,
even there are --online and --offline arguments of the `evolution`
executable, those are not passed to the running instance, they are used
to set the state on start only. I'm not aware of anything closer for
it.

Please note that evolution received many changes in this regard since
yours 3.18.5.2, the current stable 3.28.x series behaves better, as far
as I know.

On Mon, 2018-07-09 at 11:16 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> Please note that evolution received many changes in this regard since
> yours 3.18.5.2, the current stable 3.28.x series behaves better, as
> far
> as I know.

I'm going to upgrade to Linux Mint 19 which I believe has Evo 3.28 -
just as soon as they fix the problems with Mesa.

Thanks.

Re: Recovering after suspend and resume

Douglas Summers
On Mon, 2018-07-09 at 11:16 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Mon, 2018-07-09 at 09:35 +0800, Franco Broi wrote:
> > Is there any way to inject instructions to Evo from the command
> > line?
>
> Hi,
> even there are --online and --offline arguments of the `evolution`
> executable, those are not passed to the running instance, they are
> used
> to set the state on start only. I'm not aware of anything closer for
> it.
>
> Please note that evolution received many changes in this regard since
> yours 3.18.5.2, the current stable 3.28.x series behaves better, as
> far
> as I know.

I can confirm this. I used to have constant "connection refused/timed-
out" errors with 3.18. Now that I've upgraded to Mint 19/Evolution 3.28
these issue have all but disappeared.

On Mon, 2018-07-09 at 18:13 +0800, Franco Broi wrote:

> On Mon, 2018-07-09 at 11:16 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list
> wrote:
> >

> > Please note that evolution received many changes in this regard
> > since
> > yours 3.18.5.2, the current stable 3.28.x series behaves better, as
> > far
> > as I know.
> I'm going to upgrade to Linux Mint 19 which I believe has Evo 3.28 -
> just as soon as they fix the problems with Mesa.

I tried the Evo that comes with Linux Mint 19 and yes it's much better,
no connection issues after resume but I had a weird problem with my
Gmail account. Evo kept insisting I use OAuth2 and I couldn't get it to
stay set to Password, each time I clicked OK, it reverted to OAuth2.
Even stranger was when I switched back to LM 18.3 (due to other
unrelated issues) my Gmail account still failed to authenticate even
though it was set to Password. Had to delete the account and re-make
it.

Re: Recovering after suspend and resume

Pete Biggs

> I tried the Evo that comes with Linux Mint 19 and yes it's much better,
> no connection issues after resume but I had a weird problem with my
> Gmail account. Evo kept insisting I use OAuth2 and I couldn't get it to
> stay set to Password, each time I clicked OK, it reverted to OAuth2.

Why did you not want it to use OAuth2? It works perfectly fine with
Evolution and is Google's preferred method - in fact I would say
that Evo is "correct" to insist that you use OAuth2, it is what you
should be doing.

> Even stranger was when I switched back to LM 18.3 (due to other
> unrelated issues) my Gmail account still failed to authenticate even
> though it was set to Password. Had to delete the account and re-make
> it.

That's probably because the authorisation token got revoked.

Are you using the same home filesystem for both versions?  (If so,
things are going to get problematic - the Evolution configuration store
would have been upgraded to the 3.28 version and it isn't backward
compatible.)

On Wed, 2018-07-11 at 12:36 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> > I tried the Evo that comes with Linux Mint 19 and yes it's much
> > better,
> > no connection issues after resume but I had a weird problem with my
> > Gmail account. Evo kept insisting I use OAuth2 and I couldn't get
> > it to
> > stay set to Password, each time I clicked OK, it reverted to
> > OAuth2.
> Why did you not want it to use OAuth2? It works perfectly fine with
> Evolution and is Google's preferred method - in fact I would say
> that Evo is "correct" to insist that you use OAuth2, it is what you
> should be doing.

I'd never heard of OAuth2 before and all it didn't was throw an error -
can't remember exactly what it said but I was in a rush and one of the
options in the authentication was password, so surely it should have
worked??

> > Even stranger was when I switched back to LM 18.3 (due to other
> > unrelated issues) my Gmail account still failed to authenticate
> > even
> > though it was set to Password. Had to delete the account and re-
> > make
> > it.
> >
> That's probably because the authorisation token got revoked.
>
> Are you using the same home filesystem for both versions?  (If so,
> things are going to get problematic - the Evolution configuration
> store
> would have been upgraded to the 3.28 version and it isn't backward
> compatible.)

Yeah that makes sense. I have Evo 3.28 in a flatpack now but I haven't
configured the accounts yet. I was going to export a backup from my old
version but it was taking too long so I thought I would see if I could
get it to use the same folders directories but haven't done that yet.

> P.

Re: Recovering after suspend and resume

Pete Biggs

> > Why did you not want it to use OAuth2? It works perfectly fine with
> > Evolution and is Google's preferred method - in fact I would say
> > that Evo is "correct" to insist that you use OAuth2, it is what you
> > should be doing.
>
> I'd never heard of OAuth2 before and all it didn't was throw an error -
> can't remember exactly what it said but I was in a rush and one of the
> options in the authentication was password, so surely it should have
> worked??

You need to setup your gmail account specifically to allow password
login. Your older version of Evolution couldn't deal with OAuth2 and
the advice then was to provision gmail accounts via Gnome-online-
Accounts (aka GoA).  Recent versions of Evolution know how to do it
now.

> > Are you using the same home filesystem for both versions?  (If so,
> > things are going to get problematic - the Evolution configuration
> > store
> > would have been upgraded to the 3.28 version and it isn't backward
> > compatible.)
>
> Yeah that makes sense. I have Evo 3.28 in a flatpack now but I haven't
> configured the accounts yet. I was going to export a backup from my old
> version but it was taking too long so I thought I would see if I could
> get it to use the same folders directories but haven't done that yet.

As has been said before, the Flatpack version of Evolution is sandboxed
 so it's not trivial to get it to see your home file store.

Siv

Re: Empty Junk does not work

Siv
I recently upgraded from Linux Mint 18.3 to 19 and as a result have now
got Evolution version 3.28.1-2 and what a big improvement it is over
the old version. However I have found that when you right-click the
Junk E-Mail folder there is a new option on the pop-up menu "Empty
Junk" when I click it the junk is not removed.

The account is an EWS one and I checked the permissions on that folder
and I do have ownership rights on the folder, as I thought it might be
Exchange Permissions blocking the delete?

Can anyone help with this?

Siv