Replies not including all text

Using Fedora 34 with evolution-3.38.3-1.fc33.x86_64

I have been having issues recently where when I hit reply to an email, or I hit reply to a sent email to do a follow up/addition, it does not include all of my quoted text.  It only includes part of it.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you,

Re: Replies not including all text

Ángel González
On 2021-01-24 at 18:29 -0600, Daffy Duck via evolution-list wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Using Fedora 34 with evolution-3.38.3-1.fc33.x86_64
>
> I have been having issues recently where when I hit reply to an
> email, or I hit reply to a sent email to do a follow up/addition, it
> does not include all of my quoted text.  It only includes part of it.
>
> Is there a way to fix this?
>
> Thank you,

Was some of the text selected? (it would only include the selection)
Did the email contain the signature marker (a line containing just the
string "-- ") ? evolution will trim the signature text.

Re: Replies not including all text

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
None of it is selected.  I had thought about that.

I do have a signature marker, but I've always had that, and it goes beyond that, but not much beyond that.

For instance, I just went to a mail I sent, hit reply to, and it only included my signature at the top and the quoted first line of the last email.

I've not had this problem previously.

Re: Replies not including all text

James Toebes

Fedora 34 is not released yet.   It has not even reached Beta status.  I am using Fedora 33 withe Evolution 3.38.3 (3.38.3-1.fc33) without the same issue.   It sounds like you are encountering an issue with an early development version of Fedora 34.  You might need to check in the dev groups there as you may have encountered a bug with the changes being implemented.

On Sun, 2021-01-24 at 18:29 -0600, Daffy Duck via evolution-list wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Using Fedora 34 with evolution-3.38.3-1.fc33.x86_64
>
> I have been having issues recently where when I hit reply to an email,
> or I hit reply to a sent email to do a follow up/addition, it does not
> include all of my quoted text.  It only includes part of it.

F34 is unreleased software (and presumably when it is released the
Evolution version will have bumped to 3.40 along with Gnome). The
currently supported versions are F32 and F33. I don't see the issue you
mention on F33.

On Sun, 2021-01-24 at 19:43 -0600, Daffy Duck via evolution-list wrote:
> For instance, I just went to a mail I sent, hit reply to, and it only
> included my signature at the top and the quoted first line of the
> last email.

        Hi,
would it be possible to share a test case, please? If you can generate
one, rather than share a mail with private information. Eventually, you
can send it only to me, just reference this thread somehow, thus I do
not overlook it in my spam folder. Ideally send it as an attachment.

By the way, one thing is newly added signature and one is a signature
in the original message. If you've "Keep signature above the original
message" option set, then the signature you see n the reply message is
the one Evolution added for you.

Maybe, before sending the test message, you can try to run this from a
terminal:

   $ gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.mail composer-reply-keep-signature true

and then re-try the reply. If it'll work, then it was about the
signature delimiter and you do not need to send a test message.

Re: Replies not including all text

All, I made a mistake.  I'm using 33.

The name of the RPM says that, as well.

"Using Fedora 34 with evolution-3.38.3-1.fc33.x86_64"

Please disregard the reference to 34.

On Sun, 2021-01-24 at 23:12 -0500, James Toebes wrote:

Fedora 34 is not released yet.   It has not even reached Beta status.  I am using Fedora 33 withe Evolution 3.38.3 (3.38.3-1.fc33) without the same issue.   It sounds like you are encountering an issue with an early development version of Fedora 34.  You might need to check in the dev groups there as you may have encountered a bug with the changes being implemented.

Re: Replies not including all text

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list

Ok, I seem to be having this problem again and this setting change doesn't fix it.

I go to an email sent to me on one account, hit reply, and it cuts off like half of it.

In this case, it's cutting off the entire quoted portion that has a | in front of it.

On Mon, 2021-03-01 at 17:58 -0600, Daffy Duck wrote:

> Ok, I seem to be having this problem again and this setting change
> doesn't fix it.
>
> I go to an email sent to me on one account, hit reply, and it cuts
> off like half of it.
>
> In this case, it's cutting off the entire quoted portion that has a |
> in front of it.

        Hi,
first of all, no need to resend the same message twice.

The second, you are better with Reply To List (Ctrl+L) here, at least
in my case.

The third, was there anything selected when you've been doing the
reply? It's a feature to include only the selected portion of the text
in the reply, when any such exists. Otherwise, I've no idea, unless
I've a test message to try to reproduce it here, but, apart of the
signature cutting and selection use, I'm not aware of any other reason
to have the text cut.