Replies to emails with attachments take forever to open (EWS)

Replies to emails with attachments take forever to open (EWS)

Axel Lieber
Hi everyone,

Ubuntu 20.04, Evolution EWS 3.36.4
Two mailboxes, one with an Exchange
Server, the other with Gmail.

I've been using Evolution for a couple of weeks now and I'm generally
pleased. There's one problem that's quite annoying though. Replying to
emails that have attachments triggers a lengthy waiting process, up to
30 seconds. In other words, from the point when I click on the reply
button to the point where the reply email actually opens, can take that
long. With emails that do not have any attachments, the reply opens
within one or two seconds (still a little slow but bearable).

This problem only applies to the mailbox with the exchange server. It
doesn't happen with the Gmail account.

What can I do here?

Thanks for any advice.

Axel

Re: Replies to emails with attachments take forever to open (EWS)

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Thu, 2021-01-07 at 09:36 +0100, Axel Lieber wrote:
> What can I do here?

        Hi,
it would help to know what it is waiting for. Messages in EWS, once
viewed, are stored in a local cache, similarly to IMAP messages, thus
regardless of the account type it should take similarly long, whether
the message is replied to from an IMAP, On This Computer or EWS folder.

Could yo install debuginfo (dbg) packages for evolution-data-server,
evolution, evolution-ews, gtk3 and glib2, please? If I recall
correctly, Ubuntu has them split into many subpackages, which is a pita
when one wants to install them all. Maybe there's a command to do it,
but I do not use Ubuntu, thus I do not know. I'm sorry.

Once you've the debuginfo packages installed you can get the backtrace
with command like this:

   $ gdb --batch --ex "t a a bt" --pid=`pidof evolution` &>bt.txt

Please check the bt.txt for any private information, like passwords,
email addresses, server addresses,... I usually search for "pass" at
least (quotes for clarity only).

By the way, does any process a lot of CPU when waiting for the
composer? Is Evolution anyhow frozen during this waiting period?

Re: Replies to emails with attachments take forever to open (EWS)

Axel Lieber
Hi Milan,

Thanks for the reply.

Evolution does not seem to freeze otherwise during these waits, and I
don't notice any particular drain on system resources either. I'll
familiarize myself with whatever resource monitor is available on
Ubuntu and take a closer look though. (I'm new to Ubuntu & Linux).

Also, I have never debugged anything in my life. I'm one of those
Windows users Ubuntu is allegedly designed to capture. :-D

I'll try but it will take a couple of days.

Later,

Axel

On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 09:25:02 +0000, Axel Lieber wrote:
>On Thu, 2021-01-07 at 10:15 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
>> If I recall correctly, Ubuntu has them split into many subpackages,
>> which is a pita when one wants to install them all. Maybe there's a
>> command to do it, but I do not use Ubuntu, thus I do not know. I'm
>> sorry.
> I'll familiarize myself with whatever resource monitor is available on
> Ubuntu and take a closer look though. (I'm new to Ubuntu & Linux).

Hi,

the Debian Tracker is upstream of Ubuntu and shows into what packages
software is split. For example:

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/evolution

    evolution
    evolution-common
    evolution-dev
    evolution-plugin-bogofilter
    evolution-plugin-pstimport
    evolution-plugin-spamassassin
    evolution-plugins
    evolution-plugins-experimental
    libevolution

Then use Google to search for

evolution dbg

etc.

You'll get

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=evolution-dbg

and now the bomb drops, if you select another release, but xenial ...
nothing.

You need to add additional repositories...

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingGNOME
->
 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProgramCrash
-->
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProgramCrash#Non-built-in_debug_symbol_packages_.28.2A-dbgsym.29

...to get packages such as "evolution-dbgsym", "libevolution-dbgsym"
etc.

Good luck!
Ralf

Re: Replies to emails with attachments take forever to open (EWS)

Axel Lieber
Ummmmm....

Maybe I should hire someone to sort this out for me!!!

On Thu, 2021-01-07 at 10:56 +0100, Axel Lieber wrote:
> Maybe I should hire someone to sort this out for me!!!

heh, I see, it's quite complicated on Ubuntu (for example Fedora (and
some others) can do the same by a single command).

Maybe just try to get the backtrace of the evolution with gdb (command
given in the earlier post) even without debuginfo packages installed.
With a bit of luck there will be at least some minimal debugging
information, not giving exact places, but at least some rough idea what
the process does.

Re: Replies to emails with attachments take forever to open (EWS)

Axel Lieber
OK, Milan, will do. Tks.

On Thu, 2021-01-07 at 11:09 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2021-01-07 at 10:56 +0100, Axel Lieber wrote:
> > Maybe I should hire someone to sort this out for me!!!
>
> heh, I see, it's quite complicated on Ubuntu (for example Fedora (and
> some others) can do the same by a single command).
>
> Maybe just try to get the backtrace of the evolution with gdb
> (command
> given in the earlier post) even without debuginfo packages installed.
> With a bit of luck there will be at least some minimal debugging
> information, not giving exact places, but at least some rough idea
> what
> the process does.

Re: Replies to emails with attachments take forever to open (EWS)

On Thu, 2021-01-07 at 11:09 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> heh, I see, it's quite complicated on Ubuntu (for example Fedora (and
> some others) can do the same by a single command).

Hi,

there's probably an easy way to install the required packages. I neither
read the complete links I posted myself, nor am I used to latest Ubuntu
releases. I'm still on xenial, 16.04 LTS, EOL this year, let alone that
my daily distro is Arch Linux. The OP might want to send a request to
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users .

Regards,
Ralf

On Thu, 2021-01-07 at 10:19 +0000, Axel Lieber wrote:
> OK, Milan, will do. Tks.

Please don't top-post, i.e. take note of how Milan is replying to you.
Replies should be added after the quoted text and not before. This
style is strongly preferred on mailing lists in order to make threads
easier to follow, and we would encourage you to adhere to it.

It's trivially easy to do in Evolution. Just highlight the specific
text you want to comment on (not usually the entire message) and hit
one of the Reply options (Group Reply in the case).

Re: Replies to emails with attachments take forever to open (EWS)

Axel Lieber
On Thu, 2021-01-07 at 10:15 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> On Thu, 2021-01-07 at 09:36 +0100, Axel Lieber wrote:

> Could yo install debuginfo (dbg) packages for evolution-data-server,
> evolution, evolution-ews, gtk3 and glib2, please?

[...]

> Once you've the debuginfo packages installed you can get the
> backtrace
> with command like this:
>
>    $ gdb --batch --ex "t a a bt" --pid=`pidof evolution` &>bt.txt

Please attached the bt.txt file, without having installed any packages,
as you/Milan suggested.

bt.txt (22K) Download Attachment

On Sat, 2021-01-09 at 05:47 +0100, Axel Lieber wrote:
> Please attached the bt.txt file, without having installed any
> packages, as you/Milan suggested.

        Hi,
thanks. The backtrace shows that almost all of the threads are in a
poll() call, waiting for orders. Two threads are related to WebKitGTK,
waiting in futex_...wait_cancelable(). I do not know whether it's
related to the composer creation. If there is anything reading the
attachment file or something, I do not see it in the backtrace. It can
run asynchronously.

I'm not sure how to move this further, I'm sorry. Running evolution
under valgrind/hellgrind or some such, but I doubt it would help in any
way.

Maybe, could you try this, please:
a) run evolution and select the message with which you can reproduce it
b) open a terminal and run this command:
   $ ps ax | grep WebKitWeb
   It will show opened WebKitWebProcess processes (or any with
   a "similar" name)
c) switch to the Evolution and reproduce the problem
d) switch back to the terminal and re-run the `ps` command
e) if there is a new WebKitWebProcess, which was not there before, then
   it's likely it's the one related to the composer window. Could you
   grab a backtrace of it, please? It's the same gdb command as before,
   only the --pid argument will have the process ID of the
   WebKitWebProcess.

Also, is there a difference when you open a new composer (Ctrl+Shift+M)
and when you keep it open and try to reproduce the issue? When you keep
it open, the new composer window will re-use the existing
WebKitWebProcess.