Reply-To

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Why does my last mail from the mailing list contain a "Reply-To" header
that could break mailing list replies for some MUAs?

It's not an account setting.

From: Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Un-needed button
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 08:42:13 +0200
Sender: "evolution-list" <[hidden email]>

Re: Reply-To

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Tue, 2019-06-18 at 08:52 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list
wrote:
> Why does my last mail from the mailing list contain a "Reply-To"
> header
> that could break mailing list replies for some MUAs?
>
> It's not an account setting.

> Subject: Re: [Evolution] Un-needed button

I guess the mailing list software/server added it. I just verified that
I do not have it in my Outbox folder (after sending the message), but
it's there when it's delivered to the list (might be the same with this
message, if I'm lucky). All the other mails in that thread do not have
it, but they also do not have that "via evolution-list" in the From
header, which is added by the mailing list server. I do not understand
why it is like that for some addresses, but not for other, but that's
how the server admins have it set (I mean the GNOME server admins, not
the respective mailing list admins).

Re: Reply-To

On Tue, 2019-06-18 at 09:22 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> that's how the server admins have it set (I mean the GNOME server admins, not
> the respective mailing list admins).

"Group-Reply" of Evolution does work, but as already pointed out, some
MUAs follow another approach. This different approach could be useful,
when a mailing list etiquette is to reply to the list only, but for
exceptional cases replies to some people is useful, too. Claws for
example would have add you by a Cc header. Btw. some mailing list
overwrite Reply-To headers with the mailing list address.

Re: Reply-To default setting on this mailing list

[Fixing the vague subject line]

On Tue, 2019-06-18 at 08:52 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Why does my last mail from the mailing list contain a "Reply-To"
> header

Because dmarc_moderation_action is set to "Munge From" which "applies
the from_is_list Munge From transformation to these messages."

"This action replaces the poster's address in the From: header with the
list's posting address and adds the poster's address to the addresses
in the original Reply-To: header."

"Several protocols now in wide use attempt to ensure that use of the
domain in the author's address (ie, in the From: header field) is
authorized by that domain. These protocols may be incompatible with
common list features such as footers, causing participating email
services to bounce list traffic merely because of the address in the
From: field. This has resulted in members being unsubscribed despite
being perfectly able to receive mail."

> that could break mailing list replies for some MUAs?

And not setting it breaks even more MUAs these days, because DMARC.
Especially Yahoo sucks.