S/MIME certification from Sectigo (through Comodo)

S/MIME certification from Sectigo (through Comodo)

Bryan Everly-2
Hi,

I purchased an individual S/MIME certificate from Comodo (it appears to have been fulfilled by Sectigo) and was able to use it successfully in Outlook on Windows 10.  I'm trying to import it into Evolution and I successfully select it, then am prompted for the password (there is none) and then I get no error but the certificate does not show up on the list on screen.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Re: S/MIME certification from Sectigo (through Comodo)

I had the same issue a couple of years ago. The certificate would not
import into Evolution and no error was displayed. The certificate could
be successfully imported into MS Outlook. In my case, Evolution did not
like the format of the original certificate.

To resolve the issue, I had to first import the certificate into MS
Outlook, then export it from Outlook in a different format, before
Evolution would accept it. I believe the original certificate file was
a ".pfx" format, and the exported format was ".pem".

No error is produced by Evolution because the failure occurs in an
included library, and that library is not publishing any details.

I hope this helps you find a solution.

Best regards,
Peter

On Sun, 2020-12-13 at 14:06 +0000, Bryan Everly wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I purchased an individual S/MIME certificate from Comodo (it appears
> to have been fulfilled by Sectigo) and was able to use it
> successfully in Outlook on Windows 10.  I'm trying to import it into
> Evolution and I successfully select it, then am prompted for the
> password (there is none) and then I get no error but the certificate
> does not show up on the list on screen.  Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Re: S/MIME certification from Sectigo (through Comodo)

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Sun, 2020-12-13 at 21:16 -0500, Peter Franzek via evolution-list wrote:

> To resolve the issue, I had to first import the certificate into MS
> Outlook, then export it from Outlook in a different format, before
> Evolution would accept it. I believe the original certificate file was
> a ".pfx" format, and the exported format was ".pem".
>
> No error is produced by Evolution because the failure occurs in an
> included library, and that library is not publishing any details.
>
> I hope this helps you find a solution.
>
> Best regards,
> Peter
>
> On Sun, 2020-12-13 at 14:06 +0000, Bryan Everly wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I purchased an individual S/MIME certificate from Comodo (it appears
> > to have been fulfilled by Sectigo) and was able to use it
> > successfully in Outlook on Windows 10.  I'm trying to import it into
> > Evolution and I successfully select it, then am prompted for the
> > password (there is none) and then I get no error but the certificate
> > does not show up on the list on screen.  Does anyone have any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks.

Hello all!

Maybe this might help too?
No need to go through Outlook I think.

https://knowledge.digicert.com/solution/SO26449.html

--
Sorin Srbu | Drifttekniker
KI Universitetsbibliotek (UBIT) | Karolinska Institutet

# Find my OpenPGP public key here:
# https://www.srbu.se/nextcloud/index.php/s/nts7aNgkMrfJJEd
#
# o<  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
#
# Your possibly offensive MOTD, courtesy of Ubuntu:

Real Users never use the Help key.

Re: S/MIME certification from Sectigo (through Comodo)

Bryan Everly-2
Thanks Peter.

I was able to do exactly what you suggested.  The only oddity was that the exported certificate from Outlook was still a .pfx format; however, it forced me to put a password on the certificate.  When I imported in Evolution with the password it worked flawlessly.  I almost wonder if there is some problem with importing certificates that do not have a password?

Thanks again.

On Sun, 2020-12-13 at 21:16 -0500, Peter Franzek via evolution-list wrote:
Hello,

[...]

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment