Searching Exchange Folders doesn't appear to work

Siv

Searching Exchange Folders doesn't appear to work

Siv
Hi,

I am trying to locate emails in a saved folder which has many sub
folders the rule I have set up looks like this:

Rule name: Between Dates
Find items which match: any of the following conditions
Include threads: All related
Date sent is 10-May-2018
Date received is 10-May-2018

When I run this search on the bar that runs above the list of emails I
have these options "All Messages" and at the end of the search bar I
have "Current Account" as I want it to search the "Saved" folder and
all its sub folders.

Now I know there are email messages that were received or sent on that
date yet Evolution tells me that there are none found.

What am I doing wrong?

I am on Linux Mint 18.3 and Evolution is version 3.18.5.2. (I have
looked at updating to a more recent version but when I tried it
Evolution would not start so I uninstalled it and re-installed it back
to the 3.18.5.2 version that comes with Mint 18.3).  I will wait until
Mint 19 comes out and hopefully that will include a more up to date
version.

I am using the EWS plug-in to access my Exchange Server mailbox so I am
wondering if the search capability (and the filter capabilities which
are also not working) may not work on Exchange accounts?

Often when I am searching I just want to search my "Saved" folder and
all its sub folders, but the drop list at the end of the search bar
only offers "Current Folder", "Current Account" and "All Accounts".  If
I am searching using "Current Folder" does that only read the current
folder you are in and ignore sub folders or does it search all sub
folders?  Because I was getting no results I selected "Current Account"
to try and make it check the sub folders which sounds a bit overkill to
me.

Siv

Re: Searching Exchange Folders doesn't appear to work

Milan Crha
On Fri, 2018-06-08 at 11:11 +0000, Siv wrote:

> Rule name: Between Dates
> Find items which match: any of the following conditions
> Include threads: All related
> Date sent is 10-May-2018
> Date received is 10-May-2018

unless you really need it, I suggest not to use Include Threads. It
makes the search quite complicated underneath.

The other problem (of evolution-data-server or evolution, it depends
how you look on it), is that the "date is" is compared as exact date,
while the date is read from the message with its time portion too, thus
they match only if the date header is at midnight (UTC I think). Either
evolution-data-server should be changed to "round down" the date-time
to date-only, or evolution filter expressions should be changed to not
compare for equality, but for a range. I think a fix on the evolution-
data-server side would be better, because I do not expect anyone trying
to match exact time.

Could you file a bug (or an issue, since the GNOME moved to its own
GitLab instance), please? [1] It'll be better to have a history behind
the change. Thanks in advance.

> If I am searching using "Current Folder" does that only read the
> current folder you are in and ignore sub folders or does it search
> all sub folders?

Well, "Current Folder" means current folder. You can create a search
folder, which has a checkbox to "include subfolders". Maybe file a bug
against evolution [2] to add "Current Folder and Subfolders" search
type.

        Thanks and bye,
        Milan

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/issues/new
[2] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/new

Siv

Re: Searching Exchange Folders doesn't appear to work

Siv

> Hi,
> unless you really need it, I suggest not to use Include Threads. It
> makes the search quite complicated underneath.
>
> The other problem (of evolution-data-server or evolution, it depends
> how you look on it), is that the "date is" is compared as exact date,
> while the date is read from the message with its time portion too,
> thus
> they match only if the date header is at midnight (UTC I think).
> Either
> evolution-data-server should be changed to "round down" the date-time
> to date-only, or evolution filter expressions should be changed to
> not
> compare for equality, but for a range. I think a fix on the
> evolution-
> data-server side would be better, because I do not expect anyone
> trying
> to match exact time.
>

> GitLab instance), please? [1] It'll be better to have a history
> behind
> the change. Thanks in advance.
>
> If I am searching using "Current Folder" does that only read the
> current folder you are in and ignore sub folders or does it search
> all sub folders?

I will do this.

> Well, "Current Folder" means current folder. You can create a search
> folder, which has a checkbox to "include subfolders". Maybe file a
> bug
> against evolution [2] to add "Current Folder and Subfolders" search
> type.
And this.

Thanks for your advice,

Siv