Selective Plain Text

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
It would be so helpful if I could flag certain addresses and/or domains to which I always want to send plain-text emails, rather than HTML. Is there any way to do this now? And if not, I'd like to suggest it as an enhancement.

Re: Selective Plain Text

Andre Klapper
On Mon, 2019-04-08 at 14:14 -0400, David Burleigh via evolution-list
wrote:
> It would be so helpful if I could flag certain addresses and/or
> domains
> to which I always want to send plain-text emails, rather than HTML.

I see a "Wants to receive HTML mail" checkbox in the Contacts editor.

Re: Selective Plain Text

On Mon, 2019-04-08 at 20:27 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:

> On Mon, 2019-04-08 at 14:14 -0400, David Burleigh via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > It would be so helpful if I could flag certain addresses and/or
> > domains
> > to which I always want to send plain-text emails, rather than HTML.
>
> I see a "Wants to receive HTML mail" checkbox in the Contacts editor.
>
> andre
> --
> Andre Klapper  |
> [hidden email]
>
> https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

But that's the opposite of what I need. If my default setting were
plain text, then I guess that would flag a particular address as preferring HTML, but not vice-versa. As it is, my default setting is HTML, and none of my contacts have that "Wants to receive HTML mail" checked, but that doesn't result in them receiving plain text.

Re: Selective Plain Text

Gary Curtin
On Mon, 2019-04-08 at 20:27 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-04-08 at 14:14 -0400, David Burleigh via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > It would be so helpful if I could flag certain addresses and/or
> > domains
> > to which I always want to send plain-text emails, rather than HTML.
>
> I see a "Wants to receive HTML mail" checkbox in the Contacts editor.

I would like to second David's request. My default is HTML, but it
would be very useful when replying to messages either from specific
senders or by folder, to have the reply automatically in plain text.
Like replying to this list.

We already have the Send account override in folder settings, it would
be nice to have a send format override as well.

Gary

Re: Selective Plain Text

On Mon, 2019-04-08 at 20:27 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-04-08 at 14:14 -0400, David Burleigh wrote:
> > It would be so helpful if I could flag certain addresses and/or
> > domains to which I always want to send plain-text emails, rather than HTML.
>
> I see a "Wants to receive HTML mail" checkbox in the Contacts editor.

That doesn't help users who want to send HTML formatted emails by
default, even if people aren't in the address book.

Reasons for some people to use HTML by default could be that in their
business plain text mails are very unusual/freakish or that they are in
contact with many people who read their emails on smart phones, were
auto-wrapped text is unwanted, regarding the small sized screens.

Footnote:

I prefer plain text over HTML and don't care about people who wish to
receive HTML. As a side note, Evolutions's HTML formatted emails could
look disgusting on Windows mail clients, don't expect that inserted
images are even viewed completely. IOW if HTML is important to you,
consider to use another mail client.

If you really want to please smart phone users, you still could use
plain text, but use the option "Performatted" instead of "Normal", so
the smart phone users could do the line wrapping with the mail clients.
IMO nobody should please smart phone users.

Re: Selective Plain Text

On Fri, 2019-07-05 at 19:23 +0200, Gary Curtin wrote:
> We already have the Send account override in folder settings, it
> would be nice to have a send format override as well.

        Hi,
as a workaround, you can use the Alternative Reply (Ctrl+Alt+R), where
you can override what format should be used (apart of other things).
It's not like an automatic option, of course.

Feature requests can be filled here:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/new