Sending invitation to meeting attendees

pcros
Hi all,

I use debian unstable, Gnome Evolution 3.22.6, And I don't know why I can't
do what a colleague of mine with the same system and version of evolution is
able to do :

When he creates a new meeting, after saving and closing it, evolution asks
him if he wants to send an invitation to the attendees.

I'am not asked for this when creating a new meeting, so no invitation is
sent. My calendar is (like my colleague's one) a CalDav and "Server sends
invitations" is unchecked.

Any help very welcome, thank you.

Pierre

Re: Sending invitation to meeting attendees

Ángel González
On 2017-07-06 at 17:17 +0200, Pierre Cros wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I use debian unstable, Gnome Evolution 3.22.6, And I don't know why I can't
> do what a colleague of mine with the same system and version of evolution is
> able to do :
>
> When he creates a new meeting, after saving and closing it, evolution asks
> him if he wants to send an invitation to the attendees.
>
> I'am not asked for this when creating a new meeting, so no invitation is
> sent. My calendar is (like my colleague's one) a CalDav and "Server sends
> invitations" is unchecked.
>
> Any help very welcome, thank you.
>
> Pierre

Hello Pierre

I am using a much older version, and the quirk regarding this prompt is
that it only shows if you have *not* saved the meeting.
ie. create the meeting and, instead of pressing save, close the window.
It then prompts you to save it and inform the attendees.

Not having tested on it a modern version, I never opened a bug for it,
but given you are having problems with this dialog, it's worth a try.

Best regards

Re: Sending invitation to meeting attendees

pcros
Hello Angel,

Thanks very much for your answer.

Le vendredi 07 juillet 2017 à 08:42 +0200, Ángel a écrit :
> create the meeting and, instead of pressing save, close the window.
> It then prompts you to save it and inform the attendees.

Unfortunately if only prompts me to save the meeting but nothing concerning
information to the attendees. Thanks for your help anyway.

Cheers,

On Thu, 2017-07-06 at 17:17 +0200, Pierre Cros wrote:
> I'am not asked for this when creating a new meeting, so no invitation
> is sent. My calendar is (like my colleague's one) a CalDav and
> "Server sends invitations" is unchecked.

        Hi,
it also verifies that the email address you've used for the Organizer
is one of your Mail accounts, which means that you are the organizer,
thus you are allowed to send the invitation.

Even unlikely, try to create a test meeting in the On This
Computer/Personal calendar. That always worked for me, but as long as
"Server handles meeting invitations" is unchecked in the CalDAV
calendar properties, the two types should behave the same.

Re: Sending invitation to meeting attendees

pcros
Hello Milan,

Le lundi 10 juillet 2017 à 10:31 +0200, Milan Crha a écrit :
> it also verifies that the email address you've used for the Organizer
> is one of your Mail accounts, which means that you are the organizer,
> thus you are allowed to send the invitation.

I only use one email address, so nothing special here.

> Even unlikely, try to create a test meeting in the On This
> Computer/Personal calendar. That always worked for me,

Indeed ! I had never noticed it before but it works with my personal
calendar.

>  but as long as
> "Server handles meeting invitations" is unchecked in the CalDAV
> calendar properties, the two types should behave the same.

Still no joy with the CalDAV calendar (and the "Server handles meeting
invitations" unchecked).

BUT, many many thanks, I finally got it to work : I erased my CalDAV
calendar and re-created it : works like a charm.

I feel silly as I have no logical explanation (reading this email sent by
someone else, I would certainly laugh gently at the fool unable to configure
his calendar) but at least it works now...

Cheers,

Pierre

Re: Sending invitation to meeting attendees

Milan Crha
On Mon, 2017-07-10 at 14:20 +0200, Pierre Cros wrote:
> Still no joy with the CalDAV calendar (and the "Server handles
> meeting invitations" unchecked).
>
> BUT, many many thanks, I finally got it to work : I erased my CalDAV
> calendar and re-created it : works like a charm.

        Hi,
that's weird. There's nothing special about that option and what you
see looks like an inconsistency between the option in Properties and
what the calendar actually does.

There is a possibility, though unlikely, that you configured the
calendar with the "Server handles meeting invitations" checked, the
calendar opened and it looked fine, then you decided to uncheck it,
which properly saved the configuration, but the calendar itself, or the
client (aka Evolution) didn't notice the change and behaved like the
option is still checked, due to using cached properties. A machine
restart would "fix" that. It's only a wild guess.

Le lundi 10 juillet 2017 à 15:18 +0200, Milan Crha a écrit :
> There is a possibility, though unlikely, that you configured the
> calendar with the "Server handles meeting invitations" checked, the
> calendar opened and it looked fine, then you decided to uncheck it,
> which properly saved the configuration, but the calendar itself, or the
> client (aka Evolution) didn't notice the change and behaved like the
> option is still checked, due to using cached properties. A machine
> restart would "fix" that. It's only a wild guess.

The guess sounds really plausible to me as this is exactly what I did first
: creating my agenda with the "Server handles meeting invitations" checked,
and unchecking the box a while after.

So, I tried to do it again with a new CalDAV agenda and repeated the "bug" :
thank you very much Milan, it seems like the good explanation to me[1].

Cheers,

Pierre

[1] Just for those interested : the server is Egroupware.