Setting default sort order for all message lists

Setting default sort order for all message lists

Bryan Everly
Hi,

Is there a way to set the default sort order for all mail message
lists in Evolution?  Loving this application BTW!  Thanks to everyone
for all of their hard work on it!!

Thanks,
Bryan
Tom

Re: Setting default sort order for all message lists

Tom
Am Freitag, den 23.12.2016, 18:09 -0500 schrieb Bryan C. Everly:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to set the default sort order for all mail message

default is sorting by date, isn't it ?

> lists in Evolution?  Loving this application BTW!  Thanks to everyone
> for all of their hard work on it!!
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan

Re: Setting default sort order for all message lists

Bryan Everly
At least on Arch and OpenBSD it is some custome sort.

On Fri, 2016-12-23 at 18:09 -0500, Bryan C. Everly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to set the default sort order for all mail message
> lists in Evolution?  Loving this application BTW!  Thanks to everyone
> for all of their hard work on it!!

For what version of Evolution? Why can't people remember to state this
when asking a question on the list? Evolution versions sometimes do
things in different ways and none of us is telepathic. What does it say
under Help->About?

Some versions have a way of customising the default view, but this
seems to have vanished in the current version (3.22.x), or at least I
can't seem to find it. Could be incipient senility.

Re: Setting default sort order for all message lists

Dominic Knight
On Fri, 2016-12-23 at 18:09 -0500, Bryan C. Everly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to set the default sort order for all mail message
> lists in Evolution?  Loving this application BTW!  Thanks to everyone
> for all of their hard work on it!!
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan
In 3.22.2,

Edit - Preferences - Mail Preferences.

About halfway down there is a tickbox to apply mail view settings to
all folders.

Re: Setting default sort order for all message lists

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Mon, 2016-12-26 at 13:55 +0000, Dominic Knight wrote:

> On Fri, 2016-12-23 at 18:09 -0500, Bryan C. Everly wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a way to set the default sort order for all mail message
> > lists in Evolution?  Loving this application BTW!  Thanks to everyone
> > for all of their hard work on it!!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bryan
>
> In 3.22.2,
>
> Edit - Preferences - Mail Preferences.
>
> About halfway down there is a tickbox to apply mail view settings to
> all folders.

However it's not obvious how to change the folder view in the first
place (apart from the set of predefined options). I'm pretty sure this
used to be possible, e.g. sorting by Date is not the same as Received
Date, yet neither of these now appears as an option.

Re: Setting default sort order for all message lists

Milan Crha
On Mon, 2016-12-26 at 13:55 +0000, Dominic Knight wrote:
> Edit - Preferences - Mail Preferences.
>
> About halfway down there is a tickbox to apply mail view settings
> to all folders.

        Hi,
that's one way. Another is to make desired changes and save the view
under a name which is used in the all folders. The default view being
used, until it's changed (and not saved), is "Messages" for regular
folders. It's less intuitive, but more powerful, from my point of view.

On Mon, 2016-12-26 at 16:49 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> However it's not obvious how to change the folder view in the first
> place (apart from the set of predefined options). I'm pretty sure
> this used to be possible, e.g. sorting by Date is not the same as
> Received Date, yet neither of these now appears as an option.

Hmm, it's not in the menu, that's right (might make sense in
View->Current View->... from my point of view), but it's in a context
menu above the message list column header, where you can find Customize
Current View option.

On Mon, 2017-01-02 at 10:52 +0100, Milan Crha wrote:

> On Mon, 2016-12-26 at 16:49 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > However it's not obvious how to change the folder view in the first
> > place (apart from the set of predefined options). I'm pretty sure
> > this used to be possible, e.g. sorting by Date is not the same as
> > Received Date, yet neither of these now appears as an option.
>
> Hmm, it's not in the menu, that's right (might make sense in
> View->Current View->... from my point of view), but it's in a context
> menu above the message list column header, where you can find Customize
> Current View option.

Found it. I knew I'd seen it there before but for some reason it wasn't
obvious that this area was right-clickable (could possibly depend on
the theme). I think putting it somewhere under View would make more
sense.

Re: Setting default sort order for all message lists

Andre Klapper
On Mon, 2017-01-02 at 10:11 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Hmm, it's not in the menu, that's right (might make sense in
> > View->Current View->... from my point of view), but it's in a context
> > menu above the message list column header, where you can find Customize
> > Current View option.
>
> Found it. I knew I'd seen it there before but for some reason it wasn't
> obvious that this area was right-clickable (could possibly depend on
> the theme). I think putting it somewhere under View would make more
> sense.

If you think that something is missing on
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-sorting-message-list.html
a bug report [1] (bonus points for a patch [2][3]) is welcome!

andre

[1] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=evolution&component=User%20Documentation
[2] https://wiki.gnome.org/Git/Developers#Contributing_patches
[3] https://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution/tree/help/C/mail-sorting-message-list.page

http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

On Mon, 2017-01-02 at 12:10 +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:

> On Mon, 2017-01-02 at 10:11 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > Hmm, it's not in the menu, that's right (might make sense in
> > > View->Current View->... from my point of view), but it's in a context
> > > menu above the message list column header, where you can find Customize
> > > Current View option.
> >
> > Found it. I knew I'd seen it there before but for some reason it wasn't
> > obvious that this area was right-clickable (could possibly depend on
> > the theme). I think putting it somewhere under View would make more
> > sense.
>
> If you think that something is missing on
> https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-sorting-message-list.html
> a bug report [1] (bonus points for a patch [2][3]) is welcome!

On looking again, I think my problem arises from using Wide View.
That's something I've been doing for a while so I forgot that I used to
use Messages mode. In Wide View there are no column headers on the
message list, so the fact that you can click there (what the UX people
call "affordance") is missing. This isn't a documentation problem as
such.