Setting up IMAP

Jonathan Ryshpan
I have just switched my email server from POP (inbound.att.net) to IMAP
(imap.mail.att.net), as indicated in my last posting) and need help setting up
IMAP.  I would like the IMAP connection to run roughly like the POP connection
in at least these ways:
 * Messages are received from all folders of my account
 * Messages are deleted from the server when downloaded
 * Composed messages are copied to my local "Sent" folder when sent or to other
   local folders as indicated in the sent message filters.

Also, more generally, what do the various options shown on the
    Edit->Preferences->(Account)->Edit->Receiving Email
popup mean?  A link to a HOWTO page would be very helpful.

Many Thanks - Jonathan Ryshpan

Re: Setting up IMAP

Adam Tauno Williams
Quoting Jonathan Ryshpan <[hidden email]>:
> I have just switched my email server from POP (inbound.att.net) to IMAP
> (imap.mail.att.net), as indicated in my last posting) and need help
> setting up
> IMAP.  I would like the IMAP connection to run roughly like the POP
> connection in at least these ways:
>  * Messages are received from all folders of my account

Standard IMAP behaviour.

>  * Messages are deleted from the server when downloaded

Nope, that is not IMAP.  Not doing that is the point of IMAP.  If you
want that you are going to need to fetchmail to a maildir hierarchy -
or something else wizardly.

My advice is let IMAP be IMAP, use it as IMAP, and be happy.

>  * Composed messages are copied to my local "Sent" folder when sent
> or to other
>    local folders as indicated in the sent message filters.

Where to save the sent folder is a preference of the mail account;
that can be local or remote - you just pick it.

> Also, more generally, what do the various options shown on the
>     Edit->Preferences->(Account)->Edit->Receiving Email
> popup mean?

I do not understand the question.

Re: Setting up IMAP

Dominic Knight
On Wed, 2017-02-15 at 16:29 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> Quoting Jonathan Ryshpan <[hidden email]>:
> > I have just switched my email server from POP (inbound.att.net) to
> > IMAP
> > (imap.mail.att.net), as indicated in my last posting) and need
> > help
> > setting up
> > IMAP.  I would like the IMAP connection to run roughly like the
> > POP
> > connection in at least these ways:
> >  * Messages are received from all folders of my account
>
> Standard IMAP behaviour.
>
> >  * Messages are deleted from the server when downloaded
>
> Nope, that is not IMAP.  Not doing that is the point of IMAP.  If
> you
> want that you are going to need to fetchmail to a maildir hierarchy
> -
> or something else wizardly.
>
> My advice is let IMAP be IMAP, use it as IMAP, and be happy.

Or indeed yes, maybe not the _intended_ use of IMAP but I do it here,
copying everything into local folders and deleting off the server as it
does so. Just how I prefer it I guess.

create filters based on mails dropping into your inbox so they go into
a folder or several on your local inbox after arrival.

Cheers, Dom.

> >  * Composed messages are copied to my local "Sent" folder when
> > sent
> > or to other
> >    local folders as indicated in the sent message filters.
>
> Where to save the sent folder is a preference of the mail account;
> that can be local or remote - you just pick it.
>
> > Also, more generally, what do the various options shown on the
> >     Edit->Preferences->(Account)->Edit->Receiving Email
> > popup mean?
>
> I do not understand the question.

Re: Setting up IMAP

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Wed, 2017-02-15 at 22:05 +0000, Dominic Knight wrote:
> Or indeed yes, maybe not the _intended_ use of IMAP but I do it here,
> copying everything into local folders and deleting off the server as it
> does so. Just how I prefer it I guess.

So you're basically using it as POP. Am I correct in assuming you only
ever access your mail from a single machine?

Re: Setting up IMAP

Dominic Knight
On Wed, 2017-02-15 at 23:08 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-02-15 at 22:05 +0000, Dominic Knight wrote:
> > Or indeed yes, maybe not the _intended_ use of IMAP but I do it
> > here,
> > copying everything into local folders and deleting off the server
> > as it
> > does so. Just how I prefer it I guess.
>
> So you're basically using it as POP. Am I correct in assuming you
> only
> ever access your mail from a single machine?
>
> poc

Yes, many features of Evolution are overkill in my case, but it offers
- for me - the best view for my mail presentation.  Ver. 3.22.4 on
Debian testing for those who take an interest.

Re: Setting up IMAP

https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-default-folder-locations.html
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-filters.html

> Also, more generally, what do the various options shown on the
>     Edit->Preferences->(Account)->Edit->Receiving Email
> popup mean?  A link to a HOWTO page would be very helpful.

https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-receiving-options-imap-plus.html

http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Setting up IMAP

Jonathan Ryshpan
On Wed, 2017-02-15 at 22:05 +0000, Dominic Knight wrote:
> > My advice is let IMAP be IMAP, use it as IMAP, and be happy.
>
> Or indeed yes, maybe not the _intended_ use of IMAP but I do it here,
> copying everything into local folders and deleting off the server as it
> does so. Just how I prefer it I guess.
>
> create filters based on mails dropping into your inbox so they go into
> a folder or several on your local inbox after arrival.

My (rather awkward) situation is this. Over the years I have accumulated about
half a million messages sorted into about 180 folders on my local machine.  Now
superimposed on this are all the messages arriving in the last few days sorted
according to different criteria.  A few simple questions:
 * Are messages arriving via IMAP sorted according to local filters.  It seems
   that some are and some are not.  In particular messages on the Evolution list
   go to my local evolution folder, but that messages on the Fedora list are
   not.  Where is a quick primer on IMAP filtering in Evolution.
 * When (if) I get POP running again will all the messages on my mail server be
   downloaded and sorted into the proper local folders?  If not all, which ones?
    Is there some way to force all messages to be downloaded and deleted from
   the server?

Many Thanks - jon

Re: Setting up IMAP

Andre Klapper

https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-filters-not-working.html

>  * When (if) I get POP running again will all the messages on my mail server be
>    downloaded and sorted into the proper local folders?  If not all, which ones?

Depends on the criteria, actions, order defined in your mail filters.

>     Is there some way to force all messages to be downloaded and deleted from
>    the server?

Why would you want to delete messages from your IMAP server?

http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Setting up IMAP

On Wed, 2017-02-15 at 19:26 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-02-15 at 22:05 +0000, Dominic Knight wrote:
> > > My advice is let IMAP be IMAP, use it as IMAP, and be happy.
> >
> > Or indeed yes, maybe not the _intended_ use of IMAP but I do it here,
> > copying everything into local folders and deleting off the server as it
> > does so. Just how I prefer it I guess.
> >
> > create filters based on mails dropping into your inbox so they go into
> > a folder or several on your local inbox after arrival.
>
> My (rather awkward) situation is this. Over the years I have accumulated about
> half a million messages sorted into about 180 folders on my local machine.  Now
> superimposed on this are all the messages arriving in the last few days sorted
> according to different criteria.  A few simple questions:
>  * Are messages arriving via IMAP sorted according to local filters.  It seems
>    that some are and some are not.  In particular messages on the Evolution list
>    go to my local evolution folder, but that messages on the Fedora list are
>    not.  Where is a quick primer on IMAP filtering in Evolution.

There is no such thing as an "IMAP filter" as such. All your Inbox mail
is filtered when it's fresh, no matter where it comes from (you can
also apply filters manually to selected messages using Message->Apply
Filters or Ctrl-Y). However IMAP servers may have already sorted your
mail into folders *on the server*, in which case Evolution will simply
reflect that. You can also choose whether to apply filters to these
messages or only to the Inbox (See Edit->Preferences-><account>-
>Receiving Options).

>  * When (if) I get POP running again will all the messages on my mail server be
>    downloaded and sorted into the proper local folders?  If not all, which ones?
>     Is there some way to force all messages to be downloaded and deleted from
>    the server?

I haven't used POP in years but IIRC POP servers by default will
download all your messages and delete them unless you tell them not to
(look under Preferences for the account), but I could be wrong.