Show-Hide Evolution Menu Bar

Moisés Elorduy Martiartu
Hi,

This is my first time here.

I would like to question, how to show again the evolution menu bar.

I have clic mistakenly on view hide menu bar, but I am not able to
enable it.

I use Debian Testing and Mate

root@DellXPS13MOY:~# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Release: testing
Codename: buster
root@DellXPS13MOY:~# apt-cache show evolution | grep Version
Version: 3.26.1-1
root@DellXPS13MOY:~# apt-cache show mate-desktop | grep Version
Version: 1.18.0-1

Regards

Re: Show-Hide Evolution Menu Bar

Ralf Mardorf-3
Run

  gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.shell menubar-visible true

and the menu bar is back.

You can find it by searching it with the gesettings command.

1. Get all schemas

$ gsettings list-schemas | grep evolution
org.gnome.evolution.shell
org.gnome.evolution.plugin.face-picture
org.gnome.evolution-data-server.calendar
org.gnome.evolution.plugin.itip
org.gnome.evolution.plugin.autocontacts
org.gnome.evolution.plugin.attachment-reminder
org.gnome.evolution.shell.network-config
org.gnome.evolution
org.gnome.evolution.plugin.prefer-plain
org.gnome.evolution-data-server
org.gnome.evolution.plugin.publish-calendar
org.gnome.evolution.spamassassin
org.gnome.evolution.addressbook
org.gnome.evolution.bogofilter
org.gnome.evolution.importer
org.gnome.evolution.text-highlight
org.gnome.evolution.calendar
org.gnome.evolution.plugin.external-editor
org.gnome.evolution.mail
org.gnome.evolution.plugin.templates
org.gnome.evolution-data-server.addressbook
org.gnome.evolution.plugin.mail-notification
org.gnome.evolution.eds-shell
org.gnome.evolution.plugin.email-custom-header

2. List the keys of a schema and their values

$ gsettings list-recursively org.gnome.evolution.shell | grep bar
org.gnome.evolution.shell menubar-visible false
org.gnome.evolution.shell folder-bar-width 256
org.gnome.evolution.shell sidebar-visible-sub true
org.gnome.evolution.shell toolbar-visible-sub true
org.gnome.evolution.shell sidebar-visible true
org.gnome.evolution.shell statusbar-visible-sub true
org.gnome.evolution.shell folder-bar-width-sub 200
org.gnome.evolution.shell toolbar-visible true
org.gnome.evolution.shell buttons-style 'toolbar'
org.gnome.evolution.shell menubar-visible-sub true
org.gnome.evolution.shell statusbar-visible true

3. As already pointed out, change the desired setting

$ gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.shell menubar-visible true

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Show-Hide Evolution Menu Bar

Moisés Elorduy Martiartu
Hi Ralf,

You are a crack.

Problem solved.

Thanks again.

Regards.

On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 14:05:23 +0000, Moisés Elorduy Martiartu wrote:
>Hi Ralf,
>
>You are a crack.
>
>Problem solved.
>
>Thanks again.

You are welcome!

On Wed, 2017-10-25 at 16:00 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Run
>
>   gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.shell menubar-visible true
>
> and the menu bar is back.

        Hi,
there should work also to hold the Alt key for a bit to show it, then
hover mouse above the menu and pick View from it, then navigate as
before. I know it had been tricky in some way in a not so distant past,
but your 3.26.1 (the current stable) has all I would expect it to have.

On Wed, 2017-10-25 at 18:29 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-10-25 at 16:00 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Run
> >
> >   gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.shell menubar-visible true
> >
> > and the menu bar is back.
>
> Hi,
> there should work also to hold the Alt key for a bit to show it, then
> hover mouse above the menu and pick View from it, then navigate as
> before. I know it had been tricky in some way in a not so distant past,
> but your 3.26.1 (the current stable) has all I would expect it to have.

$ gsettings list-recursively org.gnome.evolution | grep version
org.gnome.evolution version '3.26.1'

;)

Yes Alt+V and then continuing with the mouse works, too, I just wasn't
aware of it.

On Wed, 2017-10-25 at 18:47 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-10-25 at 18:29 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> > On Wed, 2017-10-25 at 16:00 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > > Run
> > >
> > >   gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.shell menubar-visible true
> > >
> > > and the menu bar is back.
> >
> > Hi,
> > there should work also to hold the Alt key for a bit to show it, then
> > hover mouse above the menu and pick View from it, then navigate as
> > before. I know it had been tricky in some way in a not so distant past,
> > but your 3.26.1 (the current stable) has all I would expect it to have.
>
> $ gsettings list-recursively org.gnome.evolution | grep version
> org.gnome.evolution version '3.26.1'
>
> ;)
>
> Yes Alt+V and then continuing with the mouse works, too, I just wasn't
> aware of it.

PS: Just pushing Alt doe not work, first it's required to open the menu
by pushing V, before the mouse could be used.

Re: Show-Hide Evolution Menu Bar

Milan Crha
On Wed, 2017-10-25 at 18:49 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-10-25 at 18:47 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > $ gsettings list-recursively org.gnome.evolution | grep version
> > org.gnome.evolution version '3.26.1'

        Hi,
  $ evolution --version
is more accurate. The value in gsettings only shows which evolution had
been running the last time. Thus for example after update, before you
run the updated evolution, it'll show the old version.

> > Yes Alt+V and then continuing with the mouse works, too, I just
> > wasn't aware of it.
>
> PS: Just pushing Alt doe not work, first it's required to open the
> menu by pushing V, before the mouse could be used.

There are some differences between desktop environments. Even I replied
to your mail (thought it's an addition to your answer), then my 'you'
meant the thread initiator.

At least under MATE:
a) hold left-Alt for two+ seconds - menu bar shows up
b) release the Alt key - menu stays up for a second or so, then hides
c) if you manage to click into the menu with a mouse during the hide
   period, then it can be used. The other hot keys, being it Alt+F,
   Alt+E, Alt+V, ... (actual letter depends on the translation too)
   is supposed to keep the menu opened.

Some quirks had been added to have this better working under other
desktop environments, notably under GNOME Shell (like the delay to hide
the menu after Alt is released and nothing in the menu is selected).

Yes, this is kind of magic. Though the idea isn't that different from
web browsers like Firefox, where you can also show the menu bar when
you hold Alt key for little time (supposing you hide the menu there).

On Thu, 2017-10-26 at 08:50 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> b) release the Alt key - menu stays up for a second or so, then hides

Ok, I'm using openbox without a DE and indeed, it works, but it enforces
a workflow without any headroom for intuitive handling.