Silent fail in vcf import to Personal

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
I am trying to migrate to Evolution on Linux Mint.  But the handling of
contacts is very problematic and time consuming.

I tried multiple times to import vcf files to Evolution's default
"Personal" address book, and it failed every time.  Eventually I created
a new address book, and the imports worked every time.

The problem is that all of the imports to "Personal" failed silently,
and I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out what was wrong with my
vcf files.  Turns out that my installed Evolution application was
failing because I was selecting the "Personal" address book.  Once I
created a new address book, all my vcf files imported fine.

I checked the evolution-list Archives and fund the following two posts.
  https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2004-May/msg00371.html
  https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2012-December/msg00103.html

Failing silently without any feedback to the user makes it extremely
difficult for new users to migrate to Evolution.  Either this is a
longstanding problem which is being ignored, or I have something very
quirky with my setup.

My configuration:
Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia,  base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Kernel: 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.5.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8
Evolution: 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.2

Mike
---

Re: Silent fail in vcf import to Personal

On Mon, 2020-05-11 at 03:01 -0500, Mike via evolution-list wrote:

> Failing silently without any feedback to the user makes it extremely
> difficult for new users to migrate to Evolution.  Either this is a
> longstanding problem which is being ignored, or I have something very
> quirky with my setup.
>
> My configuration:
> Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia,  base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
> Kernel: 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.5.0
> Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8
> Evolution: 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.2

        Hi,
I initially thought that there's also the third option, using too old
Evolution (3.28.5 had been released on 2018-07-30, thus almost two
years ago; the current stable is 3.36.2), but then I briefly checked
the source code and there is not much error checking with vCard import,
which makes your first option to be valid.

Would you mind to file a bug against Evolution at [1], please? That
will help to not make it forgotten.

I've not much idea what would fail on import to the Personal address
book, especially if you can add contacts to it in the Contacts view
(File->New->Contact reports errors properly).

        Thanks and bye,
        Milan

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/new