Slow to connect (and download)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Slow to connect (and download)

Gary Curtin
Using Evolution 3.32.1-2 on Ubuntu 19.04 setup with POP3.

If I click on Send/Receive, it can take up to a minute or more to
connect to the POP3 (pop.gmx.com port 110 setup automatically) and then
retrieving simple text messages (like from this list) take another
minute or two to download. It seemed to be a bit slower today than it
was yesterday.

It is not the Internet connection, because I can browse just fine, and
downloading I get more than 1mb/s.

I am not getting any errors that I am aware of.

Any ideas?



_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Slow to connect (and download)

Pete Biggs
On Sat, 2019-07-06 at 13:14 +0200, Gary Curtin wrote:
> Using Evolution 3.32.1-2 on Ubuntu 19.04 setup with POP3.
>
> If I click on Send/Receive, it can take up to a minute or more to
> connect to the POP3 (pop.gmx.com port 110 setup automatically) and then
> retrieving simple text messages (like from this list) take another
> minute or two to download. It seemed to be a bit slower today than it
> was yesterday.

You may like to check with your mail provider - it is not unknown for
them to throttle connections and I have feeling I've heard in the past
of GMX doing that (or suspected of doing it).  

TBH, they may not be "throttling" or limiting the speed, what might be
the issue is that they don't provide many POP processes and you have to
wait for one to become available.  When my work moved to O365 we were
warned that although IMAP was enabled, it may not be as fast as native
Exchange protocols as MS consider IMAP to be an "expensive" protocol
and so limit the resources it can consume.

Have you thought about using IMAP - you may get a better experience
with that.

>
> It is not the Internet connection, because I can browse just fine, and
> downloading I get more than 1mb/s.

:-) I get annoyed when my broadband goes below 50Mb/s, I don't think I
survive at 1 Mb/s anymore.

P.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Slow to connect (and download)

Gary Curtin
On Sat, 2019-07-06 at 14:35 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> You may like to check with your mail provider - it is not unknown for
> them to throttle connections and I have feeling I've heard in the past
> of GMX doing that (or suspected of doing it).

Thanks for the comments Pete.

I setup the same account using Thunderbird, and it works just fine so I
don't think it is an issue with GMX.

I am only using email on a single device. Bet you haven't heard that in
a while!! So POP3 is just fine. I did setup the account as IMAP to test
it and it is just as slow retrieving messages as with POP3.

Gary

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Slow to connect (and download)

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Sat, 2019-07-06 at 17:02 +0200, Gary Curtin wrote:
> I setup the same account using Thunderbird, and it works just fine so
> I don't think it is an issue with GMX.
>
> I am only using email on a single device. Bet you haven't heard that
> in a while!! So POP3 is just fine. I did setup the account as IMAP to
> test it and it is just as slow retrieving messages as with POP3.

        Hi,
that's really odd. I doubt NSS can do better connections than
glib-networking/gnutls, thus the only difference I can think of is
related to proxy settings. By any chance, do you have setup any proxy
either in the system or in Evolution itself in Edit->Preferences->
Network Preferences? Maybe try to switch to "Direct connection", aka No
Proxy Needed, whether it'll help.
        Bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Slow to connect (and download)

Gary Curtin
------ Original Message ------
From: "Milan Crha via evolution-list" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Sent: 08/07/2019 10:55:02
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Slow to connect (and download)

>On Sat, 2019-07-06 at 17:02 +0200, Gary Curtin wrote:
>>  I setup the same account using Thunderbird, and it works just fine so
>>  I don't think it is an issue with GMX.
>>
>>  I am only using email on a single device. Bet you haven't heard that
>>  in a while!! So POP3 is just fine. I did setup the account as IMAP to
>>  test it and it is just as slow retrieving messages as with POP3.
>
> Hi,
>that's really odd. I doubt NSS can do better connections than
>glib-networking/gnutls, thus the only difference I can think of is
>related to proxy settings. By any chance, do you have setup any proxy
>either in the system or in Evolution itself in Edit->Preferences->
>Network Preferences? Maybe try to switch to "Direct connection", aka No
>Proxy Needed, whether it'll help.
> Bye,
> Milan
No, no proxy.

Tried everything I can think of, but Evolution alone is slow. Will have to use something else for now. Thanks anyway Milan.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Slow to connect (and download)

Ángel González
Hello Gary

Is your client configured to delete the emails that it downloads, or to
leave them on the server?
Note that with POP3, when evolution connects, it will request the server
to give it the list of unique ids of the messages in the maildrop.
Generating and sending this list could be slow.
Thus, if you have lots of of messages in the server (even if they were
already downloaded), the POP3 server will provide you such list, which
is then compared locally to check which messages are new and need to be
downloaded.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list