Sorting by "unread"

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Good morning folks,

As per previous, I'm still hoping to be able to simply sort my messages by whether or not an email is flagged as 'read'.

Not by date - some of my contacts get screwed up dates in their system.
Not by whether or not I've replied to a message - some need a followup reply and I'd rather keep them handy
Not by whether or not I've seen the message - I may be on the road and take a quick look, realise I can't deal with it today, and change it back to 'unread' for tomorrow
Not by any of the other sorting options - I just want to bring the 'unread' messages to the top of the list - ALL of the unread messages.

I just tried with version 3.36.4-0ubuntu1  on Mint 20 (64 bit) using Mate 1.24.0 for the desktop

I'd prefer to use Evolution over Thunderbird, and hopefully could work with most of the other differences (though I'd need to use TB a half a dozen or so times each week for it's "mail merge" plugin at least until Ev gets that as a plugin/native :) ), but this one is a definite deal-breaker for me :(

Thanks for your time,
KR

Re: Sorting by "unread"

On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 09:29 +1300, Kiwi Rider via evolution-list wrote:
>  As per previous, I'm still hoping to be able to simply sort my
> messages by whether or not an email is flagged as 'read'.

Click on the header of the (by default) first column in the list.

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

Re: Sorting by "unread"

Zan Lynx
On 1/19/21 1:29 PM, Kiwi Rider via evolution-list wrote:

> As per previous, I'm still hoping to be able to simply sort my messages
> by whether or not an email is flagged as 'read'.

You need to sort by _something_. Probably Received would work best.

Then there is a dropdown near the top of the message list where you can
choose to view All, only Unread, Last 7 Days, and other options. The
Unread filter is what you want I think.

That is part of the Search Bar I believe, so if you moved or made that
hidden somehow you'll have to find it again.

--
                 Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                         Study Hard -- Be Evil

Re: Sorting by "unread"

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Installation is default as of this morning (I'd not installed it on this
machine before today).

With Thunderbird, when I set up a new mail folder (whether the inbox of
a new account or some other folder). I first click the Date header to
sort by date, then I click the "sort by read" column

I've put a couple of screenshots at https://postimg.cc/gallery/KYshgKM
to show what I am referring to.

With the workflow I've developed over the last however many years I've
been using Thunderbird (at least 9), this is quite useful to me. I don't
have the ability to remember to do things like changing views, which is
why I am stuck on TB since it lets me see all my unread stuff at the top
of the list, then everything else in date order below that. At a single
glance as I walk past the screen I can see if there is anything to take
care of that I may have forgotten, rather than having to remember to
change screens for whatever else may be there.

On 20/01/21 10:21 am, Zan Lynx wrote:

> On 1/19/21 1:29 PM, Kiwi Rider via evolution-list wrote:
>>
>> As per previous, I'm still hoping to be able to simply sort my
>> messages by whether or not an email is flagged as 'read'.
>
> You need to sort by _something_. Probably Received would work best.
>
> Then there is a dropdown near the top of the message list where you
> can choose to view All, only Unread, Last 7 Days, and other options.
> The Unread filter is what you want I think.
>
> That is part of the Search Bar I believe, so if you moved or made that
> hidden somehow you'll have to find it again.

Re: Sorting by "unread"

Thanks, but that still leaves many messages scattered throughout the
listing. I think replying to a message also alters the "status", hence
it's not just read/unread but read, unread, replied-to and perhaps
something(s) else.

On 20/01/21 9:44 am, Andre Klapper via evolution-list wrote:

> On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 09:29 +1300, Kiwi Rider via evolution-list wrote:
>>   As per previous, I'm still hoping to be able to simply sort my
>> messages by whether or not an email is flagged as 'read'.
> Click on the header of the (by default) first column in the list.
>
> andre
> --
> Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
> https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Sorting by "unread"

On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 12:43 +1300, Kiwi Rider via evolution-list wrote:
> With Thunderbird, when I set up a new mail folder (whether the inbox
> of
> a new account or some other folder). I first click the Date header to
> sort by date, then I click the "sort by read" column

Click the "Read status" column header to sort by [un]read status. Then
Ctrl-click the date column header to apply as secondary sort criterion.

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

Re: Sorting by "unread"

On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 12:43 +1300, Kiwi Rider via evolution-list wrote:
> Installation is default as of this morning (I'd not installed it on this
> machine before today).
>
> With Thunderbird, when I set up a new mail folder (whether the inbox of
> a new account or some other folder). I first click the Date header to
> sort by date, then I click the "sort by read" column

Right click on the header bar of the message list, then Customise View
-> Sort.  You then can choose 4 levels of sorting.

And yes, "status" is more than just Read/Unread.  There's no "Sort by
Read/Unread".  (If you think there should be then file an enhancement
bug.)

Once you have a folder how you want it to look, then Save the view
(View -> Current View -> Save Custom View ... and give it a name). It
will become the default (so you never have to even click on headers
when you create a new folder) and if you need to switch a folder to how
you like it, then just View -> Current View and click on the name
you've given the view.

Re: Sorting by "unread"

I don't have a "read status" column, nor is it in the list. I have status, flagged, attachments, received date, from, subject, and date. If I bring up "add column" I get the options of to, size, flag status, follow up flag, due by, location, sender, recipients, messages, messages to, labels, subject - trimmed, UID, sender mail and recipients mail.

The one you're suggesting is the one I desperately want! :)

As previous, version is "3.36.4-0ubuntu1" - is this perhaps something that version lacks for some reason?

Thanks very much for your time!

On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 21:30 +1300, Kiwi Rider via evolution-list wrote:
>  I don't have a "read status" column, nor is it in the list. I have
> status

"Status" is the one I meant, sorry.

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

Re: Sorting by "unread"

On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 12:45 +1300, Kiwi Rider via evolution-list wrote:
> that still leaves many messages scattered throughout the
> listing.

        Hi,
by any chance, is View->Group By Threads checked? The screenshots of
Thunderbird you posted in another message in this thread suggest you do
not use it there, thus if it's enabled in Evolution you might want to
disable it too.

Just a wild guess.

Re: Sorting by "unread"

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Good evening,

Firstly, my thanks for your work on this project.

On 20/01/21 10:14 pm, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 12:45 +1300, Kiwi Rider via evolution-list wrote:
>> that still leaves many messages scattered throughout the
>> listing.
> Hi,
> by any chance, is View->Group By Threads checked? The screenshots of
> Thunderbird you posted in another message in this thread suggest you do
> not use it there, thus if it's enabled in Evolution you might want to
> disable it too.
>
> Just a wild guess.

Not quite a perfect guess I'm afraid. It has improved things
considerably but those that I've replied to are still further down the
list. I have the ones that are unread and not replied to, then the rest
of the messages that haven't had replies, then the messages that have
had replies.

I blame being stuck in a Windows shop where the best I could use was
Thunderbird. If I'd been allowed Linux and Evolution life would've been
a hell of a lot easier, and I'd have developed more sane workflows :)

Thanks again.

Re: Sorting by "unread"

On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 22:26 +1300, Kiwi Rider via evolution-list wrote:
> Not quite a perfect guess I'm afraid. It has improved things
> considerably

        Hi,
okay, I understand this as the Group By Thread had been set and you did
unset it.

> but those that I've replied to are still further down the list. I have
> the ones that are unread and not replied to, then the rest
> had replies.

Right, as had been said, the Status is more than just read/unread. I
still believe you get what you want now, which means, unread mails are
together and they are at the top.

Or, do you mean that the messages, which are unread & replied to at the
same time, are mixed in the message list between other messages? It's
possible to prioritize the unread flag over the other flags in the
Status column for the sorting. If that's it and if you are willing and
able to file a feature request at [1], I'd appreciate it. That way
there will be a history behind the change.

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/new

Re: Sorting by "unread"

On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 08:18 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
> And yes, "status" is more than just Read/Unread.  There's no "Sort by
> Read/Unread".  (If you think there should be then file an enhancement
> bug.)

I just use the drop-down menu to select Unread. In fact I have it
permanently set that way on all my folders unless I want to search for
some old message or see a complete thread.

gnome-keyring-daemon asted to register item item /org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/default_keyring/1 , but it's already registered

Hello all,

while examining my system log (journalctl -b) I found numerous entries like these:

Jan 20 16:01:17 desktop gnome-keyring-daemon[451]: asked to register item
/org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/default_keyring/95, but it's already registered
Jan 20 17:01:15 desktop gnome-keyring-daemon[451]: asked to register item
/org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/default_keyring/1, but it's already registered
Jan 20 17:01:16 desktop gnome-keyring-daemon[451]: asked to register item
/org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/default_keyring/8, but it's already registered
Jan 20 17:01:16 desktop gnome-keyring-daemon[451]: asked to register item
/org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/default_keyring/95, but it's already registered
Jan 20 17:01:16 desktop gnome-keyring-daemon[451]: asked to register item
/org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/default_keyring/8, but it's already registered
Jan 20 17:01:16 desktop gnome-keyring-daemon[451]: asked to register item
/org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/default_keyring/8, but it's already registered
Jan 20 17:01:17 desktop gnome-keyring-daemon[451]: asked to register item
/org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/default_keyring/95, but it's already registered
Jan 20 17:37:56 desktop gnome-keyring-daemon[451]: asked to register
item /org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/default_keyring/2, but it's
already registered
Jan 20 17:41:26 desktop gnome-keyring-daemon[451]: asked to register item
/org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/default_keyring/5, but it's already registered
Jan 20 17:42:31 desktop gnome-keyring-daemon[451]: asked to register item
/org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/default_keyring/5, but it's already registered
Jan 20 17:43:27 desktop gnome-keyring-daemon[451]: asked to register item
/org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/default_keyring/5, but it's already registered
Jan 20 17:43:27 desktop gnome-keyring-daemon[451]: asked to register item
/org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/default_keyring/5, but it's already registered
Jan 20 17:43:32 desktop gnome-keyring-daemon[451]: asked to register item
/org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/default_keyring/5, but it's already registered
Jan 20 17:43:32 desktop gnome-keyring-daemon[451]: asked to register item
/org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/default_keyring/5, but it's already registered
Jan 20 17:44:03 desktop gnome-keyring-daemon[451]: asked to register item
/org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/default_keyring/5, but it's already registered

As they start occurring as soon as I start Evolution, I assume that they are connected to Evolution
somehow. Are these entries pointing to a configuration issue, and if yes, what can I do to fix them?

Thank you very much in advance and kind regards,

Gerd

Re: gnome-keyring-daemon asted to register item item /org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/default_keyring/1 , but it's already registered

On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 18:37 +0100, Gerd Röthig wrote:

> while examining my system log (journalctl -b) I found numerous
> entries like these:
>
> Jan 20 16:01:17 desktop gnome-keyring-daemon[451]: asked to register
> item
> /org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/default_keyring/95, but it's
> already registered
>
> As they start occurring as soon as I start Evolution, I assume that
> they are connected to Evolution
> somehow. Are these entries pointing to a configuration issue, and if
> yes, what can I do to fix them?

Which Evolution version, which gnome-keyring version, which distro?

Is some Nextcloud client software running? If yes, which version?

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

Am Mittwoch, dem 20.01.2021 um 19:32 +0100 schrieb Andre Klapper via evolution-list:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 18:37 +0100, Gerd Röthig wrote:
> > while examining my system log (journalctl -b) I found numerous
> > entries like these:
> >
> > Jan 20 16:01:17 desktop gnome-keyring-daemon[451]: asked to register
> > item
> > /org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/default_keyring/95, but it's
> > already registered
> >
> > As they start occurring as soon as I start Evolution, I assume that
> > they are connected to Evolution
> > somehow. Are these entries pointing to a configuration issue, and if
> > yes, what can I do to fix them?
>
> Which Evolution version,
local/evolution 3.38.3-1 (gnome-extra)
    Manage your email, contacts and schedule
local/evolution-data-server 3.38.3-1
    Centralized access to appointments and contacts

> which gnome-keyring version,
gnome-keyring: 3.36.0

> which distro?
Manjaro Linux 20.2.1

> Is some Nextcloud client software running? If yes, which version?
No Nextcloud software installed whatsoever.

Kind regards,

Gerd

Re: gnome-keyring-daemon asted to register item item /org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/default_keyring/1 , but it's already registered

On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 18:37 +0100, Gerd Röthig via evolution-list
wrote:
> Jan 20 17:44:03 desktop gnome-keyring-daemon[451]: asked to register
> item
> /org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/default_keyring/5, but it's
> already registered
>

> As they start occurring as soon as I start Evolution, I assume that
> they are connected to Evolution
> somehow.

        Hi,
the error comes from the gnome-keyring-daemon itself, not from anything
evolution or evolution-data-server provides. The only connection to the
Evolution is that the Evolution uses the libsecret to access the
secrets there. I'm afraid you'd need to report this to the gnome-
keyring developers instead. Or libsecret developers, I do not know
which of the two is more relevant here.

Re: gnome-keyring-daemon asted to register item item /org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/default_keyring/1 , but it's already registered

Hello Timothy, hello all,

rebooting does not help (which is, to be honest, no surprise).
After sime time, the messages reappear.

Kind regards,

Am Mittwoch, dem 20.01.2021 um 20:16 +0000 schrieb Timothy mORRISON:
you could try rebooting