Stacked headers in vertical never work for me

Stacked headers in vertical never work for me

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list

I have wanted to use Evolution for years, but I can never get the stacked messages to work for me in vertical view. On Novell's website, they say that when you switch to vertical preview, the default message list will contain double line compressed headers. However, this never works for me and I just get one line where I can't read any columns.

I am running 3.36 on Ubuntu 20.04. Thank you for your help.

Re: Stacked headers in vertical never work for me

Pete Biggs
On Mon, 2020-12-14 at 13:56 -0600, Morgan via evolution-list wrote:
> I have wanted to use Evolution for years, but I can never get the
> stacked messages to work for me in vertical view. On Novell's
> website, they say that when you switch to vertical preview, the
> default message list will contain double line compressed headers.
> However, this never works for me and I just get one line where I
> can't read any columns.
> I am running 3.36 on Ubuntu 20.04. Thank you for your help.

That documentation is for Evolution 2.24 - that's about 10 years old
and much has changed since.  Up-to-date documentation is in the Help
menu - or use F1.

As for your problem.  You say you only get a single line - what does
that single line say?

I think the term "columns" is a bit misleading in vertical view - there
are two lines for each message in the message list - the first line
contains the "From:" header and date/time, the second line contains the
"Subject:" header.  The top line of the message list doesn't contain
any columns at all except for Status, Flagged and "Messages". In fact
exactly as it is shown in the Novel documentation (perhaps somethings
never change!).

On Mon, 2020-12-14 at 23:18 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

> On Mon, 2020-12-14 at 13:56 -0600, Morgan via evolution-list wrote:
> > I have wanted to use Evolution for years, but I can never get the
> > stacked messages to work for me in vertical view. On Novell's
> > website, they say that when you switch to vertical preview, the
> > default message list will contain double line compressed headers.
> > However, this never works for me and I just get one line where I
> > can't read any columns.
> > I am running 3.36 on Ubuntu 20.04. Thank you for your help.
> >

> That documentation is for Evolution 2.24 - that's about 10 years old
> and much has changed since.  Up-to-date documentation is in the Help
> menu - or use F1.
>
> As for your problem.  You say you only get a single line - what does
> that single line say?
>
> I think the term "columns" is a bit misleading in vertical view -
> there
> are two lines for each message in the message list - the first line
> contains the "From:" header and date/time, the second line contains
> the
> "Subject:" header.  The top line of the message list doesn't contain
> any columns at all except for Status, Flagged and "Messages". In fact
> exactly as it is shown in the Novel documentation (perhaps somethings
> never change!).
>
> P.

If this feature has been removed, it's not reflected in the current
(v3.38.2) docs:

Vertical view

Evolution provides a vertical view in addition to the classical view.
In the vertical view, the message preview pane is located at the right
side of the message list when compared to the classical view where the
message preview pane is placed below the message list. Vertical view
enables you to use the extra width of wide screen monitors.

To switch to vertical view, click View ▸ Preview ▸ Vertical View.

In vertical view, the message list contains double lines of compressed
headers, which enables you to consume the extra width in the preview
column. The compressed columns have Sender Name and Email, Attachment
Icon, Date and Subject in the second line.

To switch back to classical view, click View ▸ Preview ▸ Classical
View.

On Tue, 2020-12-15 at 00:06 +0000, Douglas Summers wrote:
> If this feature has been removed

It has not been removed; the user docs seem to be correct for version
3.38.2. If there is some problem, then please describe the problem.

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

Re: Stacked headers in vertical never work for me

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Tue, 2020-12-15 at 01:23 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list
wrote:
> On Tue, 2020-12-15 at 00:06 +0000, Douglas Summers wrote:
> > If this feature has been removed
>
> It has not been removed; the user docs seem to be correct for version
> 3.38.2. If there is some problem, then please describe the problem.
>
> Thanks,
> andre
I was referencing what the OP's link was describing: double-line
compressed message headers. While the docs are showing v2.24, the
wording in my v3.38.2 is exactly the same.

Re: Stacked headers in vertical never work for me

Pete Biggs
On Tue, 2020-12-15 at 00:30 +0000, Douglas Summers via evolution-list
wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-12-15 at 01:23 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2020-12-15 at 00:06 +0000, Douglas Summers wrote:
> > > If this feature has been removed
> >
> > It has not been removed; the user docs seem to be correct for version
> > 3.38.2. If there is some problem, then please describe the problem.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > andre
> I was referencing what the OP's link was describing: double-line
> compressed message headers. While the docs are showing v2.24, the
> wording in my v3.38.2 is exactly the same.

And 3.38.2 behaves exactly the same. Sometimes things don't change.

When you say "the docs", which "docs" do you mean? If you refer to the
Novel ones, then it's just unfortunate that those are the ones that the
OP found, they aren't the current ones, they are at

  https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/

The vertical view bit is at

 https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-vertical-view.html.en

If that doesn't describe what you see, then what is it that you see?

On Tue, 2020-12-15 at 01:10 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-12-15 at 00:30 +0000, Douglas Summers via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2020-12-15 at 01:23 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > It has not been removed; the user docs seem to be correct for
> > > version
> > > 3.38.2. If there is some problem, then please describe the
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > andre
> > I was referencing what the OP's link was describing: double-line
> > compressed message headers. While the docs are showing v2.24, the
> > wording in my v3.38.2 is exactly the same.
>
> And 3.38.2 behaves exactly the same. Sometimes things don't change.
>
> When you say "the docs", which "docs" do you mean? If you refer to
> the
> Novel ones, then it's just unfortunate that those are the ones that
> the
> OP found, they aren't the current ones, they are at
>

> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fhelp.gnome.org%2Fusers%2Fevolution%2Fstable%2F&data=04%7C01%7C%7C448344a52a50494f769108d8a0963879%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637435914335446177%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=wTy5PeO1XjSKDZ2KMy1Codk6Cu5nmNYjfKU8fv96Ujo%3D&reserved=0
>
> The vertical view bit is at
>
>  https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fhelp.gnome.org%2Fusers%2Fevolution%2Fstable%2Fmail-vertical-view.html.en&data=04%7C01%7C%7C448344a52a50494f769108d8a0963879%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637435914335456171%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=SWqHjb8vpC807skc7IVpgR%2BVw%2BdlKG0tH4WT9TD0fq8%3D&reserved=0
>
> If that doesn't describe what you see, then what is it that you see?
>
> P.

What I'm seeing is the message headers displayed on one line, exactly
how it shows in the Classic view. The docs I was referring to were the
ones in the link the OP gave; again, it's word-for-word what's in my
Help docs.

The part that's not working is this:

"In vertical view, the message list contains double lines of compressed
headers, which enables you to consume the extra width in the preview
column. The compressed columns have Sender Name and Email, Attachment
Icon, Date and Subject in the second line."

This is what the OP is asking about. I had originally thought that
maybe it was an old feature and the news docs didn't reflect the
change, but if you say it is still part of Evolution I can't get it to
work.

Re: Stacked headers in vertical never work for me

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list

Thanks for the replies. Here is the problem. i posted this question with a screenshot last year. This was an older version of Evolution, but the problem still persists with a newer version.

As you can see, I am not getting compressed, two-line headers. I'm just getting cramped, single-line headers.

On Mon, 2020-12-14 at 23:01 -0600, Morgan via evolution-list wrote:
> Thanks for the replies. Here is the problem. i posted this question
> with a screenshot last year. This was an older version of Evolution,
> but the problem still persists with a newer version.
> As you can see, I am not getting compressed, two-line headers. I'm
> just getting cramped, single-line headers.

That's not vertical view. That's "Classic View".  What does View-
>Preview say?

Re: Stacked headers in vertical never work for me

Pete Biggs

(Please don't post in HTML to this list)

On Tue, 2020-12-15 at 06:15 -0600, Morgan Nunan via evolution-list
wrote:
> That's not classic view. There's a big preview panel directly to the
> right of the message list.

OK. Sorry, my psychic powers aren't up to scratch this morning.

>  The preview menu says its vertical view.

Well the message list is the format that classic view uses. It means
there's probably some configuration option that has been inadvertently
set.

If you go to View->Current View what is highlighted? It should be "For
Wide View" if you are using vertical view.

On 12/15/20 6:29 AM, Pete Biggs wrote:
> If you go to View->Current View what is highlighted? It should be "For
> Wide View" if you are using vertical view.
It wasn't. This was the problem. I selected 'For Wide View' and now it's
correct. Thanks for your help.

On Tue, 2020-12-15 at 06:47 -0600, Morgan via evolution-list wrote:
> It wasn't. This was the problem. I selected 'For Wide View' and now
> it's correct. Thanks for your help.

        Hi,
just for the record, I noticed these things are sometimes not working,
while they work properly for me. The Vertical view should switch to the
"for Wide View" view on its own.

It's not required, though, the "multiline row" can be used for the
Classical view as well, just right-click the message list header and
use "Add a Column..." and drag the "Messages" column to the header.
Then remove all the other columns from the message list. The "for Wide
View" does basically that.