Starting Evolution from backup

12

Starting Evolution from backup

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list

Just upgraded to LinuxMint 19 and Evolution is trying to start by asking me to import a backup.

Not a big deal until I get to the dialog where I have to search for and select the backup file.   Where this shows up in the syslog.

Jul 11 10:08:51 Ase evolution.bin[15017]: Can't open portal file chooser: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop was not provided by any .service files

So I can't select from that dialog.

Trying the Restore option from the menu also fails as it doesn't see backup file in any of the directories that i can reach.

Given that  evolution-backup-<date>.tar.gz,  it would seem that I should be able to restore by hand, but there seems to be a few post steps that need to be done.   Anyone have a pointer to those steps ?

Mike

Re: Starting Evolution from backup

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2018-07-11 at 10:29 -0500, Anonymous Japhering via evolution-
list wrote:
> Just upgraded to LinuxMint 19 and Evolution is trying to start by
> asking me to import a backup.

> Jul 11 10:08:51 Ase evolution.bin[15017]: Can't open portal file
> chooser: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The
> name org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop was not provided by any .service
> files

        Hi,
it looks like you are not running a native version of Evolution, but a
Flatpak version. Search this list for the same error message for more
information on the error itself. In your case, make sure you run the
native version, that's the "only" way to get to the backup file; I
suppose it was your intention anyway.

By the way, Linux Mint 19 doesn't tell me anything about the Evolution
version and I'm pretty sure there are more people with the same
"handicap" here. Not talking that distributions provide updates, thus
the version which had been in distribution X a week ago not necessarily
 is also today, or a week later.

Re: Starting Evolution from backup

Douglas Summers
On Wed, 2018-07-11 at 21:09 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Wed, 2018-07-11 at 10:29 -0500, Anonymous Japhering via evolution-
> list wrote:
> > Just upgraded to LinuxMint 19 and Evolution is trying to start by
> > asking me to import a backup.

> > Jul 11 10:08:51 Ase evolution.bin[15017]: Can't open portal file
> > chooser: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The
> > name org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop was not provided by any
> > .service
> > files
>
> Hi,
> it looks like you are not running a native version of Evolution, but
> Flatpak version. Search this list for the same error message for more
> information on the error itself. In your case, make sure you run the
> native version, that's the "only" way to get to the backup file; I
> suppose it was your intention anyway.
>
> By the way, Linux Mint 19 doesn't tell me anything about the
> Evolution
> version and I'm pretty sure there are more people with the same
> "handicap" here. Not talking that distributions provide updates, thus
> the version which had been in distribution X a week ago not
> necessarily
>  is also today, or a week later.

I also upgraded to Mint 19 (which runs Evolution 3.28.1-2) to eliminate
the need for running the Flatpak version; it ran well, but I like how
the "native" package integrates with the desktop.

Re: Starting Evolution from backup

Dr. John H. Lauterbach
list wrote:
[...]

Evolution 3.28.1-2 running under Ubuntu 18.04 wants you to import a backup file
for the first run on a new installation. Not a problem for those of us who have
been running evolution for years.

Not sure how one would do if I were installing evolution and had never used it before.

john

Re: Starting Evolution from backup

Richard Bown
If it helps when I installed lm19 it picked up the flatpack version I had installed.
Install Evolution with synaptic and it should pick up the correct version

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

---- Douglas Summers wrote ----

On Wed, <a href="tel:2018-07-11">2018-07-11 at 21:09 <a href="tel:+0200">+0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Wed, <a href="tel:2018-07-11">2018-07-11 at 10:<a href="tel:29 -0500">29 -0500, Anonymous Japhering via evolution-
> list wrote:
> > Just upgraded to LinuxMint 19 and Evolution is trying to start by
> > asking me to import a backup.

> > Jul 11 10:08:51 Ase evolution.bin[15017]: Can't open portal file
> > chooser: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The
> > name org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop was not provided by any
> > .service
> > files
>
> Hi,
> it looks like you are not running a native version of Evolution, but
> Flatpak version. Search this list for the same error message for more
> information on the error itself. In your case, make sure you run the
> native version, that's the "only" way to get to the backup file; I
> suppose it was your intention anyway.
>
> By the way, Linux Mint 19 doesn't tell me anything about the
> Evolution
> version and I'm pretty sure there are more people with the same
> "handicap" here. Not talking that distributions provide updates, thus
> the version which had been in distribution X a week ago not
> necessarily
>  is also today, or a week later.

I also upgraded to Mint 19 (which runs Evolution <a href="tel:3.28.1-2">3.28.1-2) to eliminate
the need for running the Flatpak version; it ran well, but I like how
the "native" package integrates with the desktop.

Re: Starting Evolution from backup

I was on  Evolution 3.18.2 .. tried the flatpak which didn't work same symptom ... did the Mint upgrade and the
3.28.1-2 version of evolution pops up, but I can't load backups into evolution.

So guessing that, something didn't get erased.

Mike

On Wed, 2018-07-11 at 12:25 -0700, Douglas Summers wrote:
> it ran well, but I like how
> the "native" package integrates with the desktop.

        Hi,
yes, I fully understand that and agree with you, but in case of
evolution, and its dependency on evolution-data-server, there is no
win-win state, I'm sorry. Either you run up-to-date evolution against
possibly long ago obsolete evolution-data-server D-Bus services and you
have the fancy integration with the desktop and have access to local
disk and such, or you run really up to date evolution and up to date
evolution-data-server, thus you really get all the latest fixes [1],
but you run in a sandbox, with no integration with the desktop, no
notifications, no local file system,...

It's a pita that Flatpak itself doesn't have something in between of
"talks-to" and "owns" for D-Bus interfaces, in which case one would be
able to override some D-Bus services, but keep using other system's
D-Bus services. That would be a killer feature of Flatpak, from my
point of view, but as long as this is relevant only for a minority of
the Flatpak applications, and most of them even "do not care" (no
offense meant, they target something else), then it makes sense Flatpak
developers also use their time on other issues and features. To be
honest, I do not know whether it's possible at all, the obstacle can be
somewhere else than in Flatpak, maybe it's in D-Bus itself, I really do
not know.

[1] One example for all: like with the timezone thing in EWS, the
change for I#7 https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-ews/issues/7
had been done for the evolution-data-server side, namely for a backend
which runs in evolution-calendar-factory(-subprocess). Having a Flatpak
 version of evolution which integrates with the desktop, then even if
you build that Flatpak version against the latest evolution-ews, then
it'll still talk to the old and unpatched evolution-calendar-factory in
your system, thus you'd not have the issue fixed. This is sometimes
hard to realize.

Re: Starting Evolution from backup

On Wed, 2018-07-11 at 14:45 -0500, Anonymous Japhering via evolution-
list wrote:
> So guessing that, something didn't get erased.

        Hi,
did you follow these steps, maybe modified to your local changes, if
any been made?
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Flatpak#Clean_up_Flatpak_data

On Wed, 2018-07-11 at 15:29 -0400, Dr. John H. Lauterbach wrote:
> Evolution 3.28.1-2 running under Ubuntu 18.04 wants you to import a
> backup file for the first run on a new installation.  Not a problem
> for those of us who have been running evolution for years.
>
> Not sure how one would do if I were installing evolution and had
> never used it before.

        Hi,
evolution offers it, but doesn't force it. You can simply _leave_ that
"Restore from a backup file:" checkbox unchecked, then the Next button
will move you to the Identity tab and you can, but do not need to,
create a new mail account. There's also that "Do not show this wizard
again" check at the bottom of the first page of that wizard, which can
be helpful if you want to run evolution without a mail account.

Re: Starting Evolution from backup

Zan Lynx
On 07/11/2018 01:29 PM, Dr. John H. Lauterbach wrote:
> Evolution 3.28.1-2 running under Ubuntu 18.04 wants you to import a backup file
> for the first run on a new installation.  Not a problem for those of us who have
> been running evolution for years.

I have yet to meet any long time Linux user who goes into their email
client to "make a backup." And oddly Gnome-based backup software does
not suggest doing this either; it just backs up files. You'd think if it
was important someone would have integrated it as a backup feature.

If a home directory tarball isn't enough, it won't happen. Evolution
should drop the silly "backup / restore".

Perhaps replace it with an Import feature which could be pointed at a
directory to retrieve user accounts and stored/cached email from any
previous version of Evolution. Now that would be useful.

Often by the time I need to set up my email the previous system hardware
is unrecoverable. There's never going to be an Evolution "backup."
--
                Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                        Study Hard -- Be Evil

Re: Starting Evolution from backup

John,

please fix your email application to display quotes as quoted so it is
possible for others to find out what you yourself wrote. See
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2018-July/msg00071.html
Thanks.

Re: Starting Evolution from backup

> I have yet to meet any long time Linux user who goes into their email
> client to "make a backup." And oddly Gnome-based backup software does
> not suggest doing this either; it just backs up files. You'd think if it
> was important someone would have integrated it as a backup feature.

The backup was originally designed to allow you to move Evolution data
from one machine to another. It is a convenient way of combining
together all the information and files in one place. (It's not just a
straight tar ball of files - it includes a dump of the configuration of
Evolution in a format that can be reconstructed.)

FYI The backup/restore feature was introduced in 2.12 (in 2008) because
there were various homebrew scripts around that did similar things and
users were asking for an official way of doing it.

> If a home directory tarball isn't enough

It is sufficient.

> Evolution
> should drop the silly "backup / restore".

It may be "silly" to you, but there are people who use it in a none
"silly" way.

> Perhaps replace it with an Import feature which could be pointed at a
> directory to retrieve user accounts and stored/cached email from any
> previous version of Evolution. Now that would be useful.

You can't point at a single directory and retrieve everything. Things
are held in multiple locations. If, when you start Evolution it sees
old account information it *will* use that account information in the
newer evolution version, updating schemas and file locations as it does
so. It can do it over multiple versions, including major versions, even
converting mail store into Maildir (from MBOX) and so on.

The only time I've seen Evolution offer to restore a backup is when
there is no old Evolution data in the users home directory.

> Often by the time I need to set up my email the previous system hardware
> is unrecoverable. There's never going to be an Evolution "backup."

The backup/restore was never really meant as a DR tool. Yes, you may
quibble about the name, but that is the most succinct way of describing
 what the tool does.

Re: Starting Evolution from backup

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Wed, 2018-07-11 at 23:04 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > Evolution
> > should drop the silly "backup / restore".
>
> It may be "silly" to you, but there are people who use it in a none
> "silly" way.

It would be less prone to misinterpretation if it had a different name.
It's really not intended as a backup mechanism, as some people seem to
think. Perhaps Export/Import would better convey the idea.

Re: Starting Evolution from backup

Pete Biggs

> It would be less prone to misinterpretation if it had a different name.
> It's really not intended as a backup mechanism, as some people seem to
> think. Perhaps Export/Import would better convey the idea.

It's difficult. To me Export/Import implies standard formats - which
the Evolution backup isn't.

On Thu, 2018-07-12 at 18:07 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > It would be less prone to misinterpretation if it had a different name.
> > It's really not intended as a backup mechanism, as some people seem to
> > think. Perhaps Export/Import would better convey the idea.
> >

> It's difficult. To me Export/Import implies standard formats - which
> the Evolution backup isn't.

Actually, what I mean is the Export/Import implies the ability to
transfer things to a different application - the Evolution backup is
only useful to Evolution.

Re: Starting Evolution from backup

Andrea Vai

> On Thu, 2018-07-12 at 18:07 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
>> > It would be less prone to misinterpretation if it had a different name.
>> > It's really not intended as a backup mechanism, as some people seem to
>> > think. Perhaps Export/Import would better convey the idea.
>> >

>> It's difficult. To me Export/Import implies standard formats - which
>> the Evolution backup isn't.
>>
> Actually, what I mean is the Export/Import implies the ability to
> transfer things to a different application - the Evolution backup is
> only useful to Evolution.

I remember a discussion on this list, not long time ago, about a
better name to use for the evolution "Backup" feature, and perhaps
someone may have filed a bug which aimed to choose a convenient name
for it. At the moment I cannot get some precise reference (and my
memory may be wrong).

Bye,
Andrea

On Thu, 2018-07-12 at 18:09 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> On Thu, 2018-07-12 at 18:07 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > > It would be less prone to misinterpretation if it had a different name.
> > > It's really not intended as a backup mechanism, as some people seem to
> > > think. Perhaps Export/Import would better convey the idea.
> > >

> > It's difficult. To me Export/Import implies standard formats - which
> > the Evolution backup isn't.
> >

> Actually, what I mean is the Export/Import implies the ability to
> transfer things to a different application - the Evolution backup is
> only useful to Evolution.

True. Oh well, the search continues ...

Pack/Unpack? Wrap/Unwrap? Freeze/Thaw? ...

On Thu, 2018-07-12 at 20:46 +0200, Andrea Vai wrote:

> > > It's difficult. To me Export/Import implies standard formats - which
> > > the Evolution backup isn't.
> > >

> > Actually, what I mean is the Export/Import implies the ability to
> > transfer things to a different application - the Evolution backup is
> > only useful to Evolution.
>
> I remember a discussion on this list, not long time ago, about a
> better name to use for the evolution "Backup" feature, and perhaps
> someone may have filed a bug which aimed to choose a convenient name
> for it. At the moment I cannot get some precise reference (and my
> memory may be wrong).

Probably me, but I never filed a BZ because I couldn't think of a good
alternative name.

Re: Starting Evolution from backup

Ralf Mardorf-3
On Thu, 2018-07-12 at 22:12 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Pack/Unpack? Wrap/Unwrap? Freeze/Thaw? ...

Save Evolution Data...
Load Evolution Data...

On Thu, 2018-07-12 at 23:51 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-07-12 at 22:12 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > Pack/Unpack? Wrap/Unwrap? Freeze/Thaw? ...
>
> Save Evolution Data...
> Load Evolution Data...

Could be. At least it's explicit.

12