Still stuck with sorting messages

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Hi all,

Evo version now 3.38.1 (by Flathub.org)  which is the latest I can find (installed via flatpak since none of the Devuan/Debian etc repos had a later version than I was using).

I prefer to sort email folders first  with unread messages at the top then in descending date order for the rest - so a message received a week ago that is unread will be above a message from today that has been read.

Just looking in the folder for this group, I have all the unread messages at the top, but for the read messages I have a handful from "yesterday", a couple from Friday, some from Jan 2018 (when I was previously subscribed), some from Dec 2017, more from yesterday, another from Friday, another from 2018 and the rest from '17.

My main inbox folder seems OK, though it's a lot harder to spot such issues in there :-)

I have turned off grouping by threads.

Is it possible to get Evolution to display messages in date order while bringing the unread ones to the top?

Thanks,
KR

Re: Still stuck with sorting messages

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list

> Is it possible to get Evolution to display messages in date order while bringing the unread ones to the top?

Click on the header of the unread column and it sorts the unread at the top.
Unless you are after a more complicated sorting.
_____
Bert

Sent from a BlackBerry® tablet

Thanks,
KR

face-smile.png (1K) Download Attachment

On Sun, 2020-10-11 at 05:21 +0000, bert telus via evolution-list wrote:

> Is it possible to get Evolution to display messages in date order while bringing the unread ones to the top?

Click on the header of the unread column and it sorts the unread at the top.
Unless you are after a more complicated sorting

Yes - unread at top then date order after that :-)

Re: Still stuck with sorting messages

Andre Klapper
On Sun, 2020-10-11 at 21:25 +1300, gnome via evolution-list wrote:

> On Sun, 2020-10-11 at 05:21 +0000, bert telus via evolution-list
> wrote:
> >
> > > Is it possible to get Evolution to display messages in date order
> > > while bringing the unread ones to the top?
> >
> > Click on the header of the unread column and it sorts the unread at
> > the top.
> > Unless you are after a more complicated sorting
>
> Yes - unread at top then date order after that :-)

Please see "Help > Contents > Mail Management > Sorting and organizing
mail > Sorting the message list > Sorting Mail with Column Headers".

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

On Sun, 2020-10-11 at 18:14 +1300, gnome wrote:
Hi all,

Evo version now 3.38.1 (by Flathub.org)  which is the latest I can find (installed via flatpak since none of the Devuan/Debian etc repos had a later version than I was using).

[..]

My main inbox folder seems OK, though it's a lot harder to spot such issues in there :-)

Scratch that - main folder has dates all over the place and also has sent and unsent mixed. It's mostly sorted, but in this day and age "mostly" isn't great especially from a program that's been around so long!

Is there any way to correct this?

Thanks again,
KR

Re: Still stuck with sorting messages

On Sun, 2020-10-11 at 05:21 +0000, bert telus via evolution-list wrote:

> > Is it possible to get Evolution to display messages in date order while bringing the unread ones to the top?
>
> Click on the header of the unread column and it sorts the unread at the top.
> Unless you are after a more complicated sorting.

Alternatively, use the drop-down menu to show only Unread messages.

Re: Still stuck with sorting messages

> > > Click on the header of the unread column and it sorts the unread
> > > at
> > > the top.
> > > Unless you are after a more complicated sorting
> >
> > Yes - unread at top then date order after that :-)
>

> Please see "Help > Contents > Mail Management > Sorting and
> organizing
> mail > Sorting the message list > Sorting Mail with Column Headers".

Thanks Sir, but it is still broken in the date order. Following that
help given, clicking on the status column first then ^clicking on the
date gives all the unread messages at the top, but the date order is
all over the place.

I suspect that "status" is not (or not entirely) "unread" but is one or
more other things?

Thanks again for your time.

Re: Still stuck with sorting messages

Does right clicking the heading bar, then customise the current view, then sort options give you what you want?
 Status and date can both be specified there I think.

Re: Still stuck with sorting messages

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
No, that's what I have been doing. I'm wondering if "status" is not
quite the same as "unread" - possibly includes "replied to" and/or
something else?

Not a major deal-breaking thing, but I do sometimes go hunting for
emails that I know were their last message or came in around 3 weeks ago
or.. I'm also one of these weirdos who doesn't remove past emails which
doesn't help.

On Mon, 2020-10-12 at 11:56 +1300, Kiwi Rider via evolution-list wrote:
No, that's what I have been doing. I'm wondering if "status" is not
quite the same as "unread" - possibly includes "replied to" and/or
something else?

OK - Status appears to have multiple values. Can't you then set up a search folder for the Statuses you want to see and then sort that search folder by date?

Re: Localization of IMAP folders

Markus Loechner
Hi,

many thanks for your help and understanding and sorry for breaking
threads with a typo, the former thread is
at https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2020-October/msg00053.html
. I have filed an issue on the Evolution  gitlab,
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/1150.

Best regards,
Markus

Re: Localization of IMAP folders

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Mon, 2020-10-12 at 18:14 +0200, Markus Loechner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> many thanks for your help and understanding and sorry for breaking
> threads with a typo, the former thread is
> at https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2020-October/msg00053.html

This is even worse. You somehow manage to hijack a completely different
thread instead of replying on the original one (or even the new one you
created). Please don't do this. Threading in Evolution does *not*
depend on the Subject line, but on message headers.