Strange sync behaviour

Andy Proctor
Hi All,

I have got 2 Ubuntu latest version installations, one on a laptop one on a desktop. Evolution is on the laptop and works great. I use megasync to sync documents between the two machines automatically, and I am trying to repeat this for evolution. I have set up a sync to sync the whole .local/share/evolution directory to the cloud, then back down again to the desktop.

All the files appear in the right place on the desktop however when opening Evolution on the desktop it does not pick up my mail folders. I use subfolders of my inbox for mail filing. The actual subfolders are present in the right directory, but the evolution install is not picking them up. I have not currently set any external mail setting on the desktop installation.

Any reasons you can think of why it does not recognise the subfolders. In addition mail appears in the inbox but the contents of mails are unreadable.

Thoughts, tips gratefully received.

Lastly, the email account I use is POP not IMAP therefore using IMAP is not possible.

Thanks

Andy

Re: Strange sync behaviour

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2021-01-13 at 21:17 +0100, Andy Proctor wrote:
> I have set up a sync to sync the whole .local/share/evolution
> directory to the cloud

        Hi,
consider syncing more directories:
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/data-storage.html
though that won't cover the settings stored in GSettings/D-Conf.

> Any reasons you can think of why it does not recognise
> the subfolders.

As long as the two Evolution versions are the same and you copy also
hidden directories (those with a leading dot), it should work.

One thing is the content of the folders on the disk (the files),
another thing is the folders.db content, whose information is used in
the message list. These things are synced on update.

> In addition mail appears in the inbox but the contents of mails
> are unreadable.

Is there a file name mismatch? Verify the path and the difference in
it. It can be things after the ':' delimiter, which is close at the
end.

Re: Strange sync behaviour

Ángel González
On 2021-01-13 at 20:17 +0000, Andy Proctor wrote:

> All the files appear in the right place on the desktop however when
> opening Evolution on the desktop it does not pick up my mail folders.
> I use subfolders of my inbox for mail filing. The actual subfolders
> are present in the right directory, but the evolution install is not
> picking them up. I have not currently set any external mail setting
> on the desktop installation.
>
> Any reasons you can think of why it does not recognise the
> subfolders. In addition mail appears in the inbox but the contents of
> mails are unreadable.

Is evolution (or a component, such as evolution-data-server) running
when you overwrite it? In that case, I would expect it not to pick the
subfolders, but to detect them the next time it is opened.

Just to discard the obvious: the subfolders aren't collapsed, right?

Best

Ángel

[Solved] Re: Strange sync behaviour

Andy Proctor

On 2021-01-13 at 20:17 +0000, Andy Proctor wrote:
All the files appear in the right place on the desktop however when
opening Evolution on the desktop it does not pick up my mail folders.
I use subfolders of my inbox for mail filing. The actual subfolders
are present in the right directory, but the evolution install is not
picking them up. I have not currently set any external mail setting
on the desktop installation.

Any reasons you can think of why it does not recognise the
subfolders. In addition mail appears in the inbox but the contents of
mails are unreadable.

>Is evolution (or a component, such as evolution-data-server) running
>when you overwrite it? In that case, I would expect it not to pick the
>subfolders, but to detect them the next time it is opened.

>Just to discard the obvious: the subfolders aren't collapsed, right?
>Best
>Ángel

Thanks to those replying. The problem of sync was not an evolution problem at all.

I tested with a manual transfer on a stick between the two devices which showed that folders etc could be detected.

It took a short while to evolution to scan the new changes which was unexpected but I proved evolution isn't the problem.

It turns out there it a default setting in megasync not to sync ".*" files, which was why the folders and others were not syncing...

Duh! Undocumented feature. I set mega to sync ".*" files and guess what, all works.

Thanks for the help all, this one is solved.

Andy

Re: [Solved] Re: Strange sync behaviour

Ángel González
On 2021-01-16 at 18:44 +0000, Andy Proctor wrote:

> Thanks to those replying. The problem of sync was not an evolution
> problem at all.
>
> I tested with a manual transfer on a stick between the two devices
> which showed that folders etc could be detected.
>
> It took a short while to evolution to scan the new changes which was
> unexpected but I proved evolution isn't the problem.
>
> It turns out there it a default setting in megasync not to sync ".*"
> files, which was why the folders and others were not syncing...
>
> Duh! Undocumented feature. I set mega to sync ".*" files and guess
> what, all works.
>
> Thanks for the help all, this one is solved.
>
> Andy

So obvious in retrospect. If the files weren't copied, evolution
couldn't show them! :-D

Thanks for sharing the solution, Andy.

Best regards