Stuck on fetching POP3 mail, how to debug?

Stuck on fetching POP3 mail, how to debug?

Martin Wagner
Hey there folks,
here I am with another issue I have no clue about how to solve:

Every so often Evolution gets stuck completely on fetching mail,
usually from the same three of my seven mail accounts. It's on the POP3
mailboxes only, and while one is a German freemail service, the other
two are on my own server. Nothing really helps but to forcibly close
Evolution, and when I restart it the emails in question are marked as
"read" on the server (checked via webmail) and will no longer be
downloaded. In some cases this is crucial if it's bills for my
business, which I need to receive ofc., and archive.

Now every other application I would start from the command line and
watch the (error) output when things like this happen. Not so with
Evolution - there is no output whatsoever.

Simple question: What can I do to solve this?

Thanks in advance for any helpful contribution.

Basic info on my system: Mint Mate 20, all updates installed, Evolution
3.36.3-0ubuntu1
The same issue existed before the upgrade from Mint 19.3 to 20,
probably even with earlier versions, but it's happening more often and
with more important emails recently.

Cheers, Martin

Re: Stuck on fetching POP3 mail, how to debug?

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Sun, 2020-07-26 at 11:59 +0200, Martin Wagner wrote:
> Now every other application I would start from the command line and
>
> watch the (error) output when things like this happen. Not so with
>
> Evolution - there is no output whatsoever.

Have you run it with one of the DEBUG options?, e.g.

CAMEL_DEBUG=pop3 evolution >& logfile

See https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Debugging

Re: Stuck on fetching POP3 mail, how to debug?

Martin Wagner
Thank you, you two, for the hint towards debugging. All I found earlier
was involving bug buddy, which is gnome 2, afaik, and no longer
existing.

Could you give me a hint, some keyword maybe, to look for in the
logfile? The error hasn't happened today when I executed it with
debugging, but the file has a decent size nevertheless.

Many thanks, Martin

Re: Stuck on fetching POP3 mail, how to debug?

Pete Biggs
On Mon, 2020-07-27 at 20:09 +0200, Martin Wagner wrote:
> Thank you, you two, for the hint towards debugging. All I found earlier
> was involving bug buddy, which is gnome 2, afaik, and no longer
> existing.

On this list we often point people at the debugging procedure - it's in
the builtin help:

Help -> Contents -> Tracking down Problems
                         -> How to track down a problem

There's a link on there to the page:

  https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Debugging

which tells you everything you need to know.

> Could you give me a hint, some keyword maybe, to look for in the
> logfile? The error hasn't happened today when I executed it with
> debugging, but the file has a decent size nevertheless.

The file will be big - the debugging output produces a lot of chatter,
but there's no point looking if it didn't break.  When it does break
you need to look at the last few (hundred or so) lines to see if there
are any errors reported.

I'm also surprised you don't see any output when you run evolution from
the command line - there's usually some warnings.

Re: Stuck on fetching POP3 mail, how to debug?

On Mon, 2020-07-27 at 20:09 +0200, Martin Wagner wrote:
> Thank you, you two, for the hint towards debugging. All I found earlier
>
> was involving bug buddy, which is gnome 2, afaik, and no longer
>
> existing.

I've never heard of bug buddy. The method I mentioned is the standard
way of getting POP debug info for Evolution. See the built-in Help.

Also, when replying on the list, it's usual to quote the part of a
message you are commenting on (as I'm doing here).

Re: Stuck on fetching POP3 mail, how to debug?

Martin Wagner
> Every so often Evolution gets stuck completely on fetching mail,
> usually from the same three of my seven mail accounts. It's on the
> POP3 mailboxes only, and while one is a German freemail service, the
> other two are on my own server. Nothing really helps but to forcibly
> close Evolution, and when I restart it the emails in question are
> marked as "read" on the server (checked via webmail) and will no
> longer be downloaded. In some cases this is crucial if it's bills for
> my business, which I need to receive ofc., and archive.

Hey there again, back on topic: Just now it happened again. Sadly the
logfile (generated by "CAMEL_DEBUG=pop3 evolution >& logfile") doesn't
show any hint for me. It just stopped mid-sentence:

/build/evolution-data-server-R_OWch/evolution-data-server-
3.36.4/src/camel/providers/pop3/camel-pop3-folde

Per my previous experience I can leave it sit like this, fully
unresponsive, for hours. Only help is shutting down Evolution
forcefully, often even the hard way using xkill. This time it responded
to clicking the window frame [x] (in my case still upper right corner),
which resulted in this message:

(evolution:2276): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 09:23:20.921: Your application
did not unregister from D-Bus before destruction. Consider using
g_application_run().
r.c(1201): message_time= [1597906886]

After that it's a few more normal lines of pop3 stream messages, and an
orderly closing of that stream (compared to the other mail accounts I
have).

I found no errors and nothing out of order except of these two
messages.

What troubles me a lot though is that this happened to a "new" mail
account today, one it hasn't happened to before. And one out of my
control, it's one of my work accounts.

Any thoughts or ideas? Any way to search in much more detail? Thank
you.

Re: Stuck on fetching POP3 mail, how to debug?

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Tue, 2020-08-25 at 09:37 +0200, Martin Wagner wrote:
> Any thoughts or ideas? Any way to search in much more detail?

        Hi,
once you'll have things in that odd stuck state again, you can use gdb
to get the view on what the process does. It's important to have
installed debuginfo (dbg) packages for evolution-data-server,
evolution, glib2, glib-networking, maybe also for gnutls (though some
distros split the debuginfo into separate files, like libcamel,
libedataserver, and so on, which makes it harder to install all-in-
one).

You can get the backtrace with command like this:
   $ gdb --batch --ex "t a a bt" -pid=`pidof evolution` &>bt.txt
Please check the bt.txt for any private information, like passwords,
email address, server addresses,... I usually search for "pass" at
least (quotes for clarity only).

I sometimes face a long delay when downloading IMAP messages, the
process is waiting for a response from the server, when I check the
backtrace. It takes really long, something between a minute or two. The
funny part is when I select a different unloaded message, then it loads
immediately, the same when I move back to the previous message, which
makes me think that the problem is lower than in the libcamel
(evolution-data-server).

Re: Stuck on fetching POP3 mail, how to debug?

Zan Lynx
On 8/25/20 1:37 AM, Martin Wagner wrote:
> Hey there again, back on topic: Just now it happened again. Sadly the
> logfile (generated by "CAMEL_DEBUG=pop3 evolution >& logfile") doesn't
> show any hint for me. It just stopped mid-sentence:
>
> /build/evolution-data-server-R_OWch/evolution-data-server-
> 3.36.4/src/camel/providers/pop3/camel-pop3-folde

To me that looks like the Evolution debug output is not line-buffered
and isn't flushed after every message. There's probably more information
in the C stdio buffer.

You might want to experiment with using the "stdbuf" command-line
program. It can adjust the C stdio buffer settngs. Read its man page.

--
                 Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                         Study Hard -- Be Evil