Subfolders under Inbox suddenly disappeared

Subfolders under Inbox suddenly disappeared

Dr. John H. Lauterbach
RE: Evolution 3.20.5 running under Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit

Between the time my secretary left the past Wednesday and when she started work Friday noon (PC running all the time, APC UPS on incoming power line) Evolution lost the subfolders under Inbox.  I tried deleting renaming folders.db to folders.dbb and letting Evolution rebuild folders.db on restart, but no change, with about 4K e-mails in the Inbox that had not been sorted into subfolders.  Unfortunately, no recent full Evolution backup available.  Have checked disk partitions for errors using "Check" function on bootable CD-ROM version of Gparted and all are okay.

One other note:  The bookmarks list for Firefox was also lost.

Can this problem be fixed?  If so, how?

Thank you.

John

Re: Subfolders under Inbox suddenly disappeared

Paul Smith-43
On Sat, 2017-05-27 at 10:17 -0400, Dr. John H. Lauterbach wrote:

> RE: Evolution 3.20.5 running under Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit
>
> Between the time my secretary left the past Wednesday and when she
> started work Friday noon (PC running all the time, APC UPS on incoming
> power line) Evolution lost the subfolders under Inbox.  I tried
> deleting renaming folders.db to folders.dbb and letting Evolution
> rebuild folders.db on restart, but no change, with about 4K e-mails in
> the Inbox that had not been sorted into subfolders.  Unfortunately, no
> recent full Evolution backup available.  Have checked disk partitions
> for errors using "Check" function on bootable CD-ROM version of
> Gparted and all are okay.

Thank you for the version information.  Please also provide
information on the type of email account: are you using POP?  IMAP?
Gmail?  Exchange?  SMTP?

I'm not clear what you see.  Is the Inbox folder visible but no
subfolders?  If so I assume you've clicked the arrow next to "Inbox" to
make sure it's expanded?  If the Inbox folder is visible is there any
email in it?

Also, check the icon at the lower-left of the Evolution window; is it
"connected"?  If you hover over it with your mouse does it say
"Evolution is currently online"?

> One other note:  The bookmarks list for Firefox was also lost.

It almost sounds like you are logged in as a different user account than
before, that is not configured the same way.  I can't think of a reason
that only Firefox bookmarks and Evolution folders would be invisible but
everything else is the same.

Have you verified that you're not low on disk space?

Re: Subfolders under Inbox suddenly disappeared

Dr. John H. Lauterbach
Thank you, Paul:

Here are the answers to your questions.

All e-mail accounts on secretary's PC are POP.

If I go to /home/holly/.local/share/evolution/mail, I don't see the list of subfolders that used to be there and I find on my PC for evolution 3.20.5

Yes, I am logged in as Holly.  She found the problem with missing Firefox bookmarks.

Evolution on her PC is connected to the Internet.

Have about 9% free disk on partition that holds her home directory and Evolution files.

John

[...]
It almost sounds like you are logged in as a different user account than before, that is not configured the same way. I can't think of a reason that only Firefox bookmarks and Evolution folders would be invisible but everything else is the same. Have you verified that you're not low on disk space? _______________________________________________ evolution-list mailing list [hidden email] To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ... https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

Re: Subfolders under Inbox suddenly disappeared

> All e-mail accounts on secretary's PC are POP.
>
> If I go to /home/holly/.local/share/evolution/mail, I don't see the
> list of subfolders that used to be there and I find on my PC for
> evolution 3.20.5

If it's POP, then the mail is stored in the local folders so you should
be looking in .local/share/evolution/mail/local - and, apologies if you
already know this, the mail is stored in Maildir format so the actual
mail folder names all start with a '.' so you will have to use 'ls -a'
to see them.

Re: Subfolders under Inbox suddenly disappeared

Dr. John H. Lauterbach
Thank you, Peter.  We use Nemo with the "show hidden files" option on. If they were there, we would see them as I double checked with my laptop PC where same version of evolution and same OS is being used.

Looking for way of rebuilding database as size of vfolders.db is correct size for containing missing subfolders.

John

Re: Subfolders under Inbox suddenly disappeared

Milan Crha
On Sun, 2017-05-28 at 21:08 -0400, Dr. John H. Lauterbach wrote:
> Looking for way of rebuilding database as size of vfolders.db is
> correct size for containing missing subfolders.

        Hi,
that file is not used for several releases, including yours. Even if it
would be used, it contains only summary information, which is subset of
information, basically anything you can see in the message list.
Similarly with folders.db file, it contains only summary information.

You said that you have missing folders in
   ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/
with compare of your other evolution installation, where are possibly
the same folders defined. It's impossible to populate folders.db file
with information which is not on the disk (I guess it's understood from
the first paragraph, when it's clear what information is stored there).

I've no idea what could happen that you do not have there the files,
neither in the UI. Being it a delete on the disk (unlikely, from my
point of view), then maybe check a Trash and try to restore those files
if there. Otherwise I'm afraid the information on the local disk is
gone.