Suppressing Tool Tips

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suppressing Tool Tips

Jonathan Ryshpan
How can I suppress tool tips in evolution? Preferably for evolution only and not for other applications.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suppressing Tool Tips

Andre Klapper
On Sat, 2019-05-25 at 06:45 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> How can I suppress tool tips in evolution? Preferably for evolution
> only and not for other applications.

Tooltips are provided by the GTK3 library used by Evolution.
Any behavior is defined by GTK3 and not by the application itself.

You may want to ask in a GTK support forum or try ideas listed on pages
brought up by searching the WWW for "disable tooltips gtk". Examples:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=232019
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1094829/disabling-the-mouse-over-tootips/1094833

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suppressing Tool Tips

Jonathan Ryshpan
On Sat, 2019-05-25 at 16:10 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> On Sat, 2019-05-25 at 06:45 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > How can I suppress tool tips in evolution? Preferably for evolution
> > only and not for other applications.
>
> Tooltips are provided by the GTK3 library used by Evolution.
> Any behavior is defined by GTK3 and not by the application itself.

Yuck!  Tooltips are very useful for applications that I don't know but
are a distracting impediment for applications that I do know.
Therefore I need a way to enable/disable tips for each application.  

My next project: Enter this as a needed feature in the Gnome Bugzilla
and maybe even look at the Evolution code.

However, thanks for the info.



_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suppressing Tool Tips

Andre Klapper
On Sat, 2019-05-25 at 10:18 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:

> On Sat, 2019-05-25 at 16:10 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> > On Sat, 2019-05-25 at 06:45 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > > How can I suppress tool tips in evolution? Preferably for
> > > evolution
> > > only and not for other applications.
> >
> > Tooltips are provided by the GTK3 library used by Evolution.
> > Any behavior is defined by GTK3 and not by the application itself.
>
> Yuck!  Tooltips are very useful for applications that I don't know
> but
> are a distracting impediment for applications that I do know.
> Therefore I need a way to enable/disable tips for each application.
>
> My next project: Enter this as a needed feature in the Gnome Bugzilla
> and maybe even look at the Evolution code.

Again: This is not an Evolution thing. Nothing to change in Evolution
code. (And GNOME Bugzilla is closed; superseded by GNOME Gitlab.)

andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list