Ubuntu 20.10 printing possible from other programs, but "Printer was not found" by Evolution

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ubuntu 20.10 printing possible from other programs, but "Printer was not found" by Evolution

Kai Krämer
Hi,

I do have Ubuntu 20.10 (Gnome, X11) installed. Everything works fine with my HP MFP M477fdn Printer.

Unfortunately only from Evolution Email I can't print. The Printer will displayed in the Printer Selection Box. But if I press Print, I got the message: "Printer was not found"


It happens only in Evolution. Can I setup the printer somewhere?

Thanks
Kai

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu 20.10 printing possible from other programs, but "Printer was not found" by Evolution

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2020-11-06 at 21:59 +0100, Kai Krämer wrote:
> I do have Ubuntu 20.10 (Gnome, X11) installed. Everything works fine
> with my HP MFP M477fdn Printer.
>
> Unfortunately only from Evolution Email I can't print. The Printer
> will displayed in the Printer Selection Box. But if I press Print, I
> got the message: "Printer was not found"
>
> It happens only in Evolution. Can I setup the printer somewhere?

See the previous thread on this mailing list.

This might be https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=202363 .
Try to start Evolution from a terminal like this:

   $ WEBKIT_FORCE_SANDBOX=0 evolution

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu 20.10 printing possible from other programs, but "Printer was not found" by Evolution

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Sat, 2020-11-07 at 09:37 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list wrote:
See the previous thread on this mailing list.

This is an interesting question, could you possibly post a link to the previous thread please?

Roger

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu 20.10 printing possible from other programs, but "Printer was not found" by Evolution

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Sat, 2020-11-07 at 10:10 +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> On Sat, 2020-11-07 at 09:37 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list
> wrote:
> See the previous thread on this mailing list.
>
> This is an interesting question, could you possibly post a link to
> the previous thread please?

It wasn't a question, but a statement. :) See the link at the bottom of
every email on this mailing list for a link to the list archives.

Thanks,
andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu 20.10 printing possible from other programs, but "Printer was not found" by Evolution

Pete Biggs
In reply to this post by Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Sat, 2020-11-07 at 10:10 +0000, rogercreagh--- via evolution-list
wrote:
> On Sat, 2020-11-07 at 09:37 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list wrote:
> > See the previous thread on this mailing list.
>
> This is an interesting question, could you possibly post a link to the previous thread please?
>

At the bottom of every message to this list there is:

> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

Where you can find all the previous posts, even if you don't personally
keep the messages to the list.

And this is a message posted the day before

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2020-November/msg00088.html

This current thread and the one in the link above are next to each
other. They are consecutive messages to the list, in fact "the
previous" thread.

P.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu 20.10 printing possible from other programs, but "Printer was not found" by Evolution

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Thanks Pete, 
That previous post was one of the about 60% to 75% from the evolution list that hotmail puts straight in its junk folder and I don't see. It is not every message in a thread, and not every thread, but is very annoying.

Hence I didn't see the actual previous message, so thank you very much for sending a direct link to it from the archive which I asked for.

Andre seemed to take offence at the request and thought that I thought that he was asking a question - no, the question I referred to was Kai's original question which was interesting (to me).

Anyway all is clear now, but my problem with hotmail randomly deciding evolution list messages are spam remains. I'm reluctant to mess with the hotmail settings as their junk filters are pretty accurate for everything else. And I don't want one of my other mail accounts to get filled up with the  traffic on this list, most of which doesn't concern me. It is better to keep it in hotmail which I use for all the companies that insist on sending marketing type emails in addition to the actual business I do with them. In principle I can then simply browse the hotmail inbox to catch up if there is anything interesting (to me) on this list - but of course about two thirds of it has disappeared down the spam plughole and been auto-deleted by the time I get round to checking.

So it goes. So many questions. So many answers fired into a dummy load.

Thanks for the link, helpful.

Roger

 
On Sat, 2020-11-07 at 10:30 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
At the bottom of every message to this list there is:



https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list




Where you can find all the previous posts, even if you don't personally

keep the messages to the list.



And this is a message posted the day before 



https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2020-November/msg00088.html




This current thread and the one in the link above are next to each

other. They are consecutive messages to the list, in fact "the

previous" thread.



P.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu 20.10 printing possible from other programs, but "Printer was not found" by Evolution

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Sat, 2020-11-07 at 17:18 +0000, rogercreagh wrote:
> Andre seemed to take offence at the request and thought that I
> thought that he was asking a question - no, the question I referred
> to was Kai's original question which was interesting (to me).

No offense, no, just that things had the wrong context. In your reply
you only quoted a sentence of mine but not any question by Kai:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2020-November/msg00097.html

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu 20.10 printing possible from other programs, but "Printer was not found" by Evolution

Pete Biggs
In reply to this post by Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Mandatory please don't top post...

On Sat, 2020-11-07 at 17:18 +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> Thanks Pete,
> That previous post was one of the about 60% to 75% from the evolution
> list that hotmail puts straight in its junk folder and I don't see.
> It is not every message in a thread, and not every thread, but is
> very annoying.

Distinctly off topic, but hotmail is just Office365 underneath and you
should be able to whitelist addresses - don't know if that applies to
mailing list addresses, but it's worth a try.  BTW, O365 spam filtering
is secretive and indecipherable - my work uses O365 and mail sent to an
internal mailing list can get spam binned by some recipients and not
others - these are internal emails within our tenancy. MS will not (or
can not) tweak their filters, nor will they tell us what it is that is
triggering the spam classification so we can do something about it.

P.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu 20.10 printing possible from other programs, but "Printer was not found" by Evolution

Dr. John H. Lauterbach
In reply to this post by Pete Biggs
This problem also affects PRINT TO FILE.  "Printing failed."  "The printer replied “Error opening file “/home/johnl/.gconf/Documents/20201107053020_Re:_[Evolution]_Ubuntu_20.10_printing_possible_from_other_programs,_but__Printer_was_not_found__by_Evolution.pdf”: No such file or directory”.

John

On Sat, 2020-11-07 at 10:30 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
On Sat, 2020-11-07 at 10:10 +0000, rogercreagh--- via evolution-list
wrote:
On Sat, 2020-11-07 at 09:37 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list wrote:
See the previous thread on this mailing list.

This is an interesting question, could you possibly post a link to the previous thread please?


At the bottom of every message to this list there is:


Where you can find all the previous posts, even if you don't personally
keep the messages to the list.

And this is a message posted the day before


This current thread and the one in the link above are next to each
other. They are consecutive messages to the list, in fact "the
previous" thread.

P.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu 20.10 printing possible from other programs, but "Printer was not found" by Evolution

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Sat, 2020-11-07 at 15:10 -0500, Dr. John H. Lauterbach wrote:
> This problem also affects PRINT TO FILE.  "Printing failed."  "The
> printer replied “Error opening file
> “/home/johnl/.gconf/Documents/20201107053020_Re:_[Evolution]_Ubuntu
> _20.10_printing_possible_from_other_programs,_but__Printer_was_not_fo
> und__by_Evolution.pdf”: No such file or directory”.

No it does not. This thread is about the error message "Printer was not
found". That is a different error message than what you posted.

Please post different problems in separate threads.

Thanks,
andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu 20.10 printing possible from other programs, but "Printer was not found" by Evolution

Dr. John H. Lauterbach
Hello Andre,

It may not be exactly the same problem, but when I try to print to my Epson ET-4750, I get . "Printing failed.  That printer works fine with every other Linux/Ubuntu 20.10 software on my DELL VOSTRO 3500 laptop.  I posted the problem to https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/1215 .

John


On Sat, 2020-11-07 at 21:49 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list wrote:
On Sat, 2020-11-07 at 15:10 -0500, Dr. John H. Lauterbach wrote:
This problem also affects PRINT TO FILE.  "Printing failed."  "The
printer replied “Error opening file
“/home/johnl/.gconf/Documents/20201107053020_Re:_[Evolution]_Ubuntu
_20.10_printing_possible_from_other_programs,_but__Printer_was_not_fo
und__by_Evolution.pdf”: No such file or directory”.

No it does not. This thread is about the error message "Printer was not
found". That is a different error message than what you posted.

Please post different problems in separate threads.

Thanks,
andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu 20.10 printing possible from other programs, but "Printer was not found" by Evolution

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Sat, 2020-11-07 at 21:49 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list
wrote:
> No it does not. This thread is about the error message "Printer was
> not found". That is a different error message than what you posted.
>
> Please post different problems in separate threads.

        Hi,
well, while a different message, it's still the same problem. WebKit
runs in a sandbox. It doesn't print using gtk+ printing, it has its own
print dialog. As it runs in a sandbox and it doesn't use the portal or
whatever, it cannot access the system printer, because the sandbox
privileges disallow it.

Due to the same problem, running in the sandbox, the print to file
cannot access host system files. The sandbox privileges disallow it.
        Bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list