Un-needed button

Christopher M
Hi,

I have a button on my top toolbar on my main Evolution window that
popped up out of no where... I never saw this button when I had evo
installed in KDE yet its here in XFCE.......

https://imgur.com/a/OYi98cQ

How do I make this button go away? I don't see a way to remove it.

I am using Evo 3.28.5

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Un-needed button

Pete Biggs

> I have a button on my top toolbar on my main Evolution window that
> popped up out of no where... I never saw this button when I had evo
> installed in KDE yet its here in XFCE.......
>
> https://imgur.com/a/OYi98cQ

It's the "Group Reply" button - to save people going to the link.

> How do I make this button go away? I don't see a way to remove it.

Why do you want to the button to go away?  The "Group Reply" is like
so on.

Re: Un-needed button

Christopher M
On Tue, 2019-06-18 at 00:25 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> > How do I make this button go away? I don't see a way to remove it.
>
> Why do you want to the button to go away?  The "Group Reply" is like
> so on.
>
> P.
>

> __

Hi Pete,
Because it shows all the time not just when I click on a mailing list.

Chris

Re: Un-needed button

On Mon, 2019-06-17 at 16:19 -0500, Christopher M wrote:
> How do I make this button go away? I don't see a way to remove it.

You open the Evolution User Manual, open "Common Other Questions and
Problems 🡒 Customizing tool bar and menu items" and follow the steps.

Re: Un-needed button

From: Christopher M
To: Pete Biggs, evolution-list
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 18:35:25 -0500
> Because it shows all the time not just when I click on a mailing list.

Hi,

I'm using different MUAs and all of them provide "Reply", "Forward" and
at least one additional special reply button by default.

It is a _needed_ button.

Please, do not remove the button, use it!

Your reply was sent to Pete Biggs and evolution-list , so Peter Biggs
either received a duplicated message, one directly from you and a second
from the mailing list or, if he set up mailman to not send duplicates,
he does only receive your message, so the mailing list header is lost
for him.

Apart from a few exceptions, where it's wanted to sent a mail to the
list and individual recipients, usually developer lists, it's frowned
upon to do this.

Yes, it should show up all the time and you should use it!

TIA,
Ralf

Re: Un-needed button

On Mon, 2019-06-17 at 18:35 -0500, Christopher M wrote:

> On Tue, 2019-06-18 at 00:25 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > > How do I make this button go away? I don't see a way to remove it.
> >
> > Why do you want to the button to go away?  The "Group Reply" is like
> > so on.
> >
> > P.
> >

> > __
>
> Hi Pete,
> Because it shows all the time not just when I click on a mailing list.

As I said the button is intelligent - if you aren't replying to a
mailing list post, the button acts as "Reply-All", if you are, then it
is "Reply-to-list" - because, as everyone knows, you should *not* use
"Reply To List"

If you use Reply-All like you did, you send the email to both the list
and to me - the mailing list software is intelligent enough to spot
this and avoids sending me a copy of the message so I don't get
duplicates. Consequently the message I got doesn't have any of the
mailing list specific headers (because it came directly from you) and
so none of the mailing list specific actions work - such as Reply-to-
list and any mailing list filtering.

So, please don't remove the button, use it as it is supposed to be
used. It's useful.

Re: Un-needed button

> Your reply was sent to Pete Biggs and evolution-list , so Peter Biggs
> either received a duplicated message, one directly from you and a second
> from the mailing list or, if he set up mailman to not send duplicates,
> he does only receive your message, so the mailing list header is lost
> for him.

Quite.

Re: Un-needed button

On Tue, 2019-06-18 at 04:44 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-06-17 at 16:19 -0500, Christopher M wrote:
> > How do I make this button go away? I don't see a way to remove it.
>
> You open the Evolution User Manual, open "Common Other Questions and
> Problems 🡒 Customizing tool bar and menu items" and follow the steps.

But as Pete said, Reply-To-List is the *correct* way to reply on the
list (the clue's in the name), so only remove the button if you are
sure to remember the shortcut (Ctrl-L).

Re: Un-needed button

Adam Tauno Williams
On Tue, 2019-06-18 at 08:42 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list
wrote:
> Your reply was sent to Pete Biggs and evolution-list , so Peter Biggs
> either received a duplicated message, one directly from you and a
> second from the mailing list or, if he set up mailman to not send
> duplicates, he does only receive your message, so the mailing list
> header is lost for him.

Also numerous modern mail servers may discard one of the duplicates
[depending on how the  mail list software treats Message-ID].

> Apart from a few exceptions, where it's wanted to sent a mail to the
> list and individual recipients, usually developer lists, it's frowned
> upon to do this.
> Yes, it should show up all the time and you should use it!

Yes, every time that button is illuminated it is the button that should
be used.
--
Highland Park Neighborhood Association
Adam Tauno Williams, Board Chair

Re: Un-needed button

Christopher M
On Tue, 2019-06-18 at 08:42 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list

> I'm using different MUAs and all of them provide "Reply", "Forward"
> and
> at least one additional special reply button by default.
>
> It is a _needed_ button.
>
> Please, do not remove the button, use it!
>
> Your reply was sent to Pete Biggs and evolution-list , so Peter Biggs
> either received a duplicated message, one directly from you and a
> second
> from the mailing list or, if he set up mailman to not send
> duplicates,
> he does only receive your message, so the mailing list header is lost

< SNIP >

I did use the group reply button... But when I  hit group reply, this
was what was in the TO box:

Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]

Chris

Re: Un-needed button

Christopher M
On Tue, 2019-06-18 at 09:19 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> As I said the button is intelligent - if you aren't replying to a
> mailing list post, the button acts as "Reply-All", if you are, then
> it
> is "Reply-to-list" - because, as everyone knows, you should *not* use
> "Reply To List"
>
> If you use Reply-All like you did, you send the email to both the
> list
> and to me - the mailing list software is intelligent enough to spot
> this and avoids sending me a copy of the message so I don't get
> duplicates. Consequently the message I got doesn't have any of the
> mailing list specific headers (because it came directly from you) and
> so none of the mailing list specific actions work - such as Reply-to-
> list and any mailing list filtering.
>

> < snip >

Oh, I see.....

please see my last reply... When I hit group reply it automatically
fills in your personal address and the list address.

Chris

Re: Un-needed button

On Tue, 2019-06-18 at 11:24 -0500, Christopher M wrote:
> I did use the group reply button... But when I  hit group reply, this
> was what was in the TO box:
>
> Ralf Mardorf <.....>, [hidden email]

        Hi,
it also depends on Edit->Preferences->Composer Preferences->General
tab->"Group Reply goes only to mailing list, if possible" option, near
the bottom of that tab. The thing is that the Group Reply is not the
same as Reply to List (which is hidden under the menu on the right of
the Group Reply button on the tool bar, or in menu Message->Reply To
List (Ctrl+L)).

Re: Un-needed button

Christopher M
On Tue, 2019-06-18 at 18:54 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Tue, 2019-06-18 at 11:24 -0500, Christopher M wrote:
> > I did use the group reply button... But when I  hit group reply,
> > this
> > was what was in the TO box:
> >
> > Ralf Mardorf <.....>, [hidden email]
>
> Hi,
> it also depends on Edit->Preferences->Composer Preferences->General
> tab->"Group Reply goes only to mailing list, if possible" option,
> near
> the bottom of that tab. The thing is that the Group Reply is not the
> same as Reply to List (which is hidden under the menu on the right of
> the Group Reply button on the tool bar, or in menu Message->Reply To
> List (Ctrl+L)).

That worked! Thanks

Chris