Updating to newest Evolution mail version

Updating to newest Evolution mail version

Daniel Helfenberger
Hi there

I should know how I can Update Evolution Mail to the latest Version.
My current Version is: 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
I changed from Windows 7 to Zorin OS and I already have some experience
with linux, but i'm still getting used to the new operating system.
The reason why I want to update to the latest version is that
evoloution mail reacts extremely sluggishly.
Other applications run smoothly.
In the Evolution Manual I found nothing about updates to the newest
version, but I found this on in the net:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/755985/getting-latest-version-of-evolution-on-ubuntu-14-04#755997

sudo apt-get remove evolution
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install evolution

My questions are:

Where can I check, whats the newest Version of Evoloution Mail ?
Is this the normal way that I have to remove and reinstall Evolution or
is there a better way to update Evoloution Mail ?
Does my settings go lost, when I remove and reinstall Evolution ?

Some Infos about my Hard and Software, if needed:

Operating System:
Zorin OS 15.2 (Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS)

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor

Kind regards and thank you for your help, Daniel

Re: Updating to newest Evolution mail version

Andre Klapper
Hi Daniel,

On Mon, 2020-03-30 at 11:52 +0200, Daniel Helfenberger wrote:
> I should know how I can Update Evolution Mail to the latest Version.
> My current Version is: 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
[...]
> In the Evolution Manual I found nothing about updates to the newest
> version, but I found this on in the net:

Updating software in your distribution depends on your distribution,
not on the software itself. Hence it's not covered in the user docs.

> https://askubuntu.com/questions/755985/getting-latest-version-of-evolution-on-ubuntu-14-04#755997
>
> sudo apt-get remove evolution
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install evolution
>
> My questions are:
>
> Where can I check, whats the newest Version of Evoloution Mail ?

For GNOME: https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution
For your distribution which ships GNOME: Ask your distribution.

> Is this the normal way that I have to remove and reinstall Evolution or
> is there a better way to update Evoloution Mail ?

I don't think it's normal. However, this depends on your distribution.

> Does my settings go lost, when I remove and reinstall Evolution ?

No, they don't. However backups are always a good idea. :)

Re: Updating to newest Evolution mail version

Adam Tauno Williams
On Mon, 2020-03-30 at 11:52 +0200, Daniel Helfenberger wrote:
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/755985/getting-latest-version-of-
> evolution-on-ubuntu-14-04#755997
> sudo apt-get remove evolution
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install evolution
> My questions are:
> Where can I check, whats the newest Version of Evoloution Mail ?
> Is this the normal way that I have to remove and reinstall Evolution
> or is there a better way to update Evoloution Mail ?

It is not normal that removing and reinstalling any application fixes
anything.

> Does my settings go lost, when I remove and reinstall Evolution ?

Your settings exist in your Home Directory and remain after an
application is uninstalled - and are 'rediscovered' when you reinstall
the application.  Another reason uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't
fix things.

As a side note - as a Systems Engineer with 30 years of IT experience
and ~520 users - uninstalling and reinstalling applications on Windows
rarely fixes things either [not in the last decade, it is a very
obsolete practice].

You need to look for the underlying problem.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:[hidden email]> GPG D95ED383
OpenGroupware Developer <http://www.opengroupware.us/>

Re: Updating to newest Evolution mail version

Thomas Mittelstaedt

Am 30.03.2020 11:52 schrieb Daniel Helfenberger <[hidden email]>:

Hi there

I should know how I can Update Evolution Mail to the latest Version.

Check out https://flathub.org/home. There you can get the latest evolution app version, 3.36.1.
As someone on this list objected, flatpak apps run in their own "sandbox", somewhat isolated from the rest of the desktop. I found out though, that this is only partially true. For instance, I installed a dark theme via gnome-tweak-tool, and voila, evolution would pick it up as well.

[...]

Hi Andre

Thank you for your quick answer.
With your help I could install the newest stable version of Evolution
Mail (3.36).
After the Installation I had the new and the old version (3.28) on my
Computer, so I had to deinstall the old version.

Kind regards, Daniel