Upload Evolution automatically

Glauber Anjos
Good night people!

I'm starting in the gnome and configured the Evolution email client,
but I'm having a hard time leaving it enabled in the top bar of the
gnome to always update my email accounts configured on it, so I can
close the gnome screen and the application continues to report on email
new. How do I do that?
If you can tell me how to load it automatically when I start the
system, thank you.

Arch Linux
Gnome 3.22.2

Re: Upload Evolution automatically

Andre Klapper
Hi and welcome,

On Sun, 2017-03-19 at 19:24 -0300, Glauber Anjos wrote:
> I'm starting in the gnome and configured the Evolution email client,
> but I'm having a hard time leaving it enabled in the top bar of the

If "Top bar" = "notification area", that's not meant for "leaving an
application enabled there" (whatever that means exactly).

> gnome to always update my email accounts configured on it, so I can
> close the gnome screen and the application continues to report on
> email new. How do I do that?

To always update your email accounts, see
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-send-and-receive-automatically.html

> If you can tell me how to load it automatically when I start the
> system, thank you.

You could install "gnome-tweak-tool" and configure "Startup
Applications".

http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Upload Evolution automatically

Benjamin Selzer
What I think he means is that he wants Evolution to check email even when the Evolution app is not open, and alert him in Gnome Notifications when he has a new email, so then we can open Evolution.

I don't want to speak for the poster, but I do think this would be nice. I doubt very much he was asking how to get Evolution to check email every X minutes.

Re: Upload Evolution automatically

Sorry, but these aren't Evolution specific questions, but I will try
and answer them.

> I'm starting in the gnome and configured the Evolution email client,
> but I'm having a hard time leaving it enabled in the top bar of the
> gnome to always update my email accounts configured on it, so I can
> close the gnome screen and the application continues to report on email
> new. How do I do that?

Gnome (in it's pure state) doesn't have such a thing - it's different.
You can minimise Evolution and it will still be running in the
background - to see it again go to the overview screen (cursor to the
top left corner of the screen) and click on the Evolution window. But
since Evolution is reasonably well integrated into Gnome, I don't think
you even need Evolution to be running for mail notifications to work.

> If you can tell me how to load it automatically when I start the
> system, thank you.

You need an application called 'Gnome Tweak Tool' - you can specify the
startup applications there.

Re: Upload Evolution automatically

Ralf Mardorf-3
On Sun, 2017-03-19 at 19:24 -0300, Glauber Anjos wrote:
> Good night people!

Good morning ;)

> If you can tell me how to load it automatically when I start the
> system, thank you.
>
> Arch Linux
> Gnome 3.22.2

panels usually have two places were apps could appear, the "task bar"
and the "tray". Since I don't use GNOME, I don't know if GNOME windows
could be still handled as for classic window managers and desktop
environments.

There seems to be a plugin available to use Evolution with a tray icon:
http://gnome.eu.org/index.php/Evolution_Tray

However, how to autostart apps when starting a GNOME user session, is
explained by the Arch Wiki:
This Wiki site
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/autostarting
links to
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME#Startup_applications

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Upload Evolution automatically

Benjamin Selzer
> I don't think you even need Evolution to be running for mail
notifications to work.

This is the question. Do you need Evolution to be running in order to
receive email notifications. I believe that you do.

On Mon, 2017-03-20 at 06:16 -0400, Benjamin Selzer wrote:
> What I think he means is that he wants Evolution to check email even
> when the Evolution app is not open, and alert him in Gnome
> Notifications when he has a new email, so then we can open Evolution.
>
> I don't want to speak for the poster, but I do think this would be
> nice. I doubt very much he was asking how to get Evolution to check
> email every X minutes.

Request For Enhancements (RFEs) are best sent to Bugzilla, where they
can be remembered. However there are a number of mail-checkers out
there that don't depend on Evolution and could presumably be used for
that (I don't use any of them myself, I just keep Evolution permanently
open on its own desktop). Note that some checkers might cause messages
to be marked as no longer "new" when Evo looks at them.

Re: Upload Evolution automatically

Benjamin Selzer
It wasn't an RFE. He was asking how it worked. So what you're saying is
that Evolution will not check email when not running? That is fine. He
was only asking a question.

Re: Upload Evolution automatically

On Mon, 2017-03-20 at 06:16 -0400, Benjamin Selzer wrote:
> What I think he means is that he wants Evolution to check email even
> when the Evolution app is not open

I dislike the idea (when I switch off the oven in my kitchen I don't
expect it to occasionally heat up, really).
Furthermore, the *underlying* problem ("If you want checks for new
mail, why can you not leave Evolution running?") is not explained.

On Mon, 2017-03-20 at 06:25 -0400, Benjamin Selzer wrote:
> > I don't think you even need Evolution to be running for mail
>
> notifications to work.
>
> This is the question. Do you need Evolution to be running in order to
> receive email notifications. I believe that you do.

I actually now think you do - but like others I have Evolution running
permanently on it's own screen so it's never an issue for me.

What sort of distracted me was that calendar notifications/alarms don't
need Evo to be running.

On Mon, 2017-03-20 at 06:34 -0400, Benjamin Selzer wrote:
> It wasn't an RFE. He was asking how it worked. So what you're saying is
> that Evolution will not check email when not running? That is fine. He
> was only asking a question.

I wasn't replying to the OP but to you, which is why I quoted your
comment and not his.

On Mon, 2017-03-20 at 10:54 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
> What sort of distracted me was that calendar notifications/alarms don't
> need Evo to be running.

        Hi,
that's evolution-alarm-notify, which is automatically started after
login (by default) and when you run evolution itself, it also makes
sure that this background service is running. It runs other parts of
evolution-data-server as a consequence, namely evolution-source-
registry and evolution-calendar-factory, eventually also evolution-
addressbook-factory, it depends. These evolution-data-server services
are there for cooperation for any "clients" of the address book and
calendar sources ('calendar' here means also tasks and memos).
The GNOME Shell itself runs evolution-calendar-factory to know about
events in the clock "applet" (it's not called 'applet' these days).

Once upon a time, there was an idea to provide the third factory, for
mail. The plan was to have it running in the background, just like the
calendar and address book factories, with provided D-Bus interface and
any "client" would connect to it and show accounts, folders and mails
provided by it. Then a similar evolution-mail-notify (similar to
evolution-alarm-notify) service could be running in the background and
notify about new mails without evolution itself being running. It has
its pros and cons, as it uses to be.

Srini begun the work on it some time ago, but the project is currently
frozen, as far as I know.

Anyway, the current situation is that if you want to receive
notification from evolution, then evolution itself should be left
running in the background. Once the evolution is closed, the new mail
notifications (provided by it) are not working.

Re: Upload Evolution automatically

Dominic Knight
On Sun, 2017-03-19 at 19:24 -0300, Glauber Anjos wrote:

> Good night people!
>
> I'm starting in the gnome and configured the Evolution email client,
> but I'm having a hard time leaving it enabled in the top bar of the
> gnome to always update my email accounts configured on it, so I can
> close the gnome screen and the application continues to report on
> email
> new. How do I do that?
> If you can tell me how to load it automatically when I start the
> system, thank you.
>
> Arch Linux
> Gnome 3.22.2

One that has worked with Evolution and the Gnome project is http://www.
nongnu.org/mailnotify/ at least in Debian, though it should build for
arch just as well. It will need many dependencies though.
This will plug into(outside of) Evolution and run as a small background
task when you don't have memory space for the entire program. Click the
mail notifier in your tray or notification area and it will open the
Evolution program to show you your new mails.

As an aside, for Debian and derivatives, you would need (via apt or
synaptic) mail-notification-evolution and mail-notification (both
5.4dfsg.1-14+b5 for current evo 3.22.5)

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mail-notification/