Use local archive with remote EWS server

Use local archive with remote EWS server

Due to the inability for the alpine email client to work with my
work place's exchange email server, I'm migrating to Evolution as my
email client. I was able to configure Evolution to interact
with the mailserver.  However, I cannot figure out how to associate
local folders, such as those that will contain my email archives, with
my exchange configured account.

For example, if I try to add a new folder, it gives me the options of
creating it on the server associated with '[hidden email]' or
'Search Folders'.  I can, but don't want to, create folders on the
server, but I can't figure out how to create one locally.

Can anyone help me understand how to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Use local archive with remote EWS server

Pete Biggs

> For example, if I try to add a new folder, it gives me the options of
> creating it on the server associated with '[hidden email]' or
> 'Search Folders'.  I can, but don't want to, create folders on the
> server, but I can't figure out how to create one locally.

You create it in "On This Computer". Make sure that account is enabled
first though.

Re: Use local archive with remote EWS server

On Tue, 2020-04-07 at 12:29 -0400, Michael A. Gilchrist via evolution-
list wrote:
> For example, if I try to add a new folder, it gives me the options
> of creating it on the server associated with '[hidden email]' or
> 'Search Folders'.

        Hi,
I suppose we talk about File->New->Mail Folder. Do you have On This
Computer enabled in Edit->Preferences->Mail Accounts? It's always
there, but it can be hidden by the user. Also, what is your Evolution
version, please?

By the way, when you enable local archives, the messages will be copied
out of the server, possibly causing loss of data when your local
machine breaks in some way. That's why IMAP, EWS and other remote
accounts are better, you left the backup responsibility on the server
admins, instead of on yourself.

Re: Use local archive with remote EWS server

Ahhhh, that's the problem.  Thanks for the quick and helpful response.

Mike