User Set Default Appointment Reminder Time

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

User Set Default Appointment Reminder Time

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list

From looking in the various 'settings' sections in Evolution calendar, then inspecting
evolution-master/src/calendar/gui/e-comp-editor-page-reminders.c
it appears that there is no way to customize a default reminder time for an appointment.  In the source code (as appear in the reminder pull-down menu) there are:
None
15 minutes before
1 hour before
1 day before
Custom
Now, it's no particular problem to choose 'custom', but I think it would be useful (and save several mouse clicks each time) to be able to set a user-defined value which would appear in the list (for example, I commonly set 5 or 7 days in advance for certain things).

So - I wanted to (1) verify that the above is indeed correct and (2) ask if this would be an appropriate item for which to file a feature request.


thank you,

Ed


-- 
Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Cinnamon 4.0.10

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: User Set Default Appointment Reminder Time

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Fri, 2019-04-05 at 15:11 -0400, AtomicCanine via evolution-list
wrote:
> Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
> Cinnamon 4.0.10

Not relevant. What is relevant is your Evolution version (Help->About),
which you don't give.

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: User Set Default Appointment Reminder Time

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1


However, since the mentioned code is in the master source form github, I
didn't feel it necessary




On 4/5/19 5:41 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Fri, 2019-04-05 at 15:11 -0400, AtomicCanine via evolution-list
> wrote:
>> Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
>> Cinnamon 4.0.10
> Not relevant. What is relevant is your Evolution version (Help->About),
> which you don't give.
>
> poc
>
> _______________________________________________
> evolution-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

--
Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Cinnamon 4.0.10

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: User Set Default Appointment Reminder Time

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Sat, 2019-04-06 at 09:11 -0400, AtomicCanine via evolution-list
wrote:
> 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
>
>
> However, since the mentioned code is in the master source form github, I
> didn't feel it necessary

It's safer not to assume anything and just give the version.

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: User Set Default Appointment Reminder Time

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Yes, Sir!

(sarcasm, yes, but meant in a friendly way)


Ed


On 4/6/19 1:56 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Sat, 2019-04-06 at 09:11 -0400, AtomicCanine via evolution-list
wrote:
3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1


However, since the mentioned code is in the master source form github, I 
didn't feel it necessary
It's safer not to assume anything and just give the version.

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

-- 
Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Cinnamon 4.0.10

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: User Set Default Appointment Reminder Time

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2019-04-05 at 15:11 -0400, AtomicCanine via evolution-list
wrote:
> it appears that there is no way to customize a default reminder time
> for an appointment.

        Hi,
using Edit->Preferences->Calendar and Tasks->Reminders tab->[x] Set
default reminder [ 6      | - | + ][ Days   | v ] before every new
appointment, then Ctrl+Shift+A, aka File->New->Appointment, the new
event has set the reminder to 6 days before the start.

This is the default reminder type as I understand it. But maybe you
meant something else, like having in the Reminders page of the
component editor a new value, but not having it preselected. Editing an
existing event and going to the Reminders tab the default reminder is
shown there as well, only not selected.

It's with the current development version (to be 3.33.1 in two weeks),
but yours 3.28.5 should behave the same, if I recall correctly.
        Bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: User Set Default Appointment Reminder Time

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Thank you for your quick reply!

Yes, I think we interpret the meaning differently.  I HAD found the setting you noted, but that setting gets applied to EVERY  new appointment.

My, probably poorly-worded, intention was to investigate one or more user-specified additions to the reminder drop down  NOT automatically applied.  Say, one wanted to be able to select from, e.g., 1 day before, 3 days before, and 7 days before (start).

Now, it IS the case that by changing the 'set default reminder' as noted, the specified reminder DOES appear in the drop-down (though it is also already in the selected reminder list).  I'm sure I'm not explaining this correctly.

Ah... I just discovered something interesting (and, perhaps, this is to what you were referring).... setting a default reminder (let's say 7 days before) via the preferences, then closing the prefs, then reopening the prefs and UNSELECTING the 'set default reminder' checkbox LEAVES the 7 days before entry in the drop down.  Not perfect (for my overall intention), but it provides a reasonable work-around.


thanks,

Ed




On 4/8/19 8:14 AM, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
On Fri, 2019-04-05 at 15:11 -0400, AtomicCanine via evolution-list
wrote:
it appears that there is no way to customize a default reminder time
for an appointment.
	Hi,
using Edit->Preferences->Calendar and Tasks->Reminders tab->[x] Set
default reminder [ 6      | - | + ][ Days   | v ] before every new
appointment, then Ctrl+Shift+A, aka File->New->Appointment, the new
event has set the reminder to 6 days before the start.

This is the default reminder type as I understand it. But maybe you
meant something else, like having in the Reminders page of the
component editor a new value, but not having it preselected. Editing an
existing event and going to the Reminders tab the default reminder is
shown there as well, only not selected.

It's with the current development version (to be 3.33.1 in two weeks),
but yours 3.28.5 should behave the same, if I recall correctly.
	Bye,
	Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

-- 
Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Cinnamon 4.0.10

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: User Set Default Appointment Reminder Time

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Mon, 2019-04-08 at 10:05 -0400, AtomicCanine via evolution-list
wrote:
> My, probably poorly-worded, intention was to investigate one or more
> user-specified additions to the reminder drop down  NOT automatically
> applied.  Say, one wanted to be able to select from, e.g., 1 day
> before, 3 days before, and 7 days before (start).

        Hi,
I see. Feel free to file a feature request at:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/new
Maybe something like "Allow adding multiple user-predefined Reminders",
though it would be a hidden option in GSettings, because creating a UI
for it would be probably confusing and might not worth it. I guess. And
it might be for the Display notification type only.
        Bye,
        Milan


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: User Set Default Appointment Reminder Time

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Thank you.


Ed


On 4/8/19 10:59 AM, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
On Mon, 2019-04-08 at 10:05 -0400, AtomicCanine via evolution-list
wrote:
My, probably poorly-worded, intention was to investigate one or more
user-specified additions to the reminder drop down  NOT automatically
applied.  Say, one wanted to be able to select from, e.g., 1 day
before, 3 days before, and 7 days before (start).
	Hi,
I see. Feel free to file a feature request at:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/new
Maybe something like "Allow adding multiple user-predefined Reminders",
though it would be a hidden option in GSettings, because creating a UI
for it would be probably confusing and might not worth it. I guess. And
it might be for the Display notification type only.
	Bye,
	Milan


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

-- 
Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Cinnamon 4.0.10

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list